You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion - Healing potions for higher level'd players  (Read 2887 times)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Suggestion - Healing potions for higher level'd players
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
Seems to me that one of the reasons the Morninglord Crypts are so over farmed (mind you, its a lot less than it was nowadays) is the fact that Melee classes who lack magical abbilities need potions. I've seen party's of lower level'd pc's getting themselves organized to take the trip down into the crypts to find them empty, a jolly fighter strutting past carrying a few sacks of knuckles.

Getting to the point...is it worth making a tougher dungeon for higher level's with better healing potions to leave the newer players a chance to discover how freaky the crypts can actually be instead of beating down on the odd Skeleton with a handfull of your mates?

...Just and idea.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
Re: Suggestion - Healing potions for higher level'd players
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:44 AM »
Agreed, however another idea would be when delving further into the crypts the tougher the encouters become, which they do sort of,  and as a result a different drop than Skeleton knuckles can be done. Something like a Ghoul tounge or some such. It would have to make sense considering what creature is killed of course. These in turn would garner a greater cureative potion than would be normally gotten if just Skeleton Knuckles were handed in.

Or perhpas as it stands now. Five knuckles for one minor curative potion. Ten would get you a Light cureative potion, while fifteen would get you a Moderate one and so on and so forth. Thus if you want a few Cure Critical Wound potions you're gonna have to do some major delving in order to get enough knuckles to make the exchange. This could mean going ever so deeper than you normally would and therefore put your character to greater and greater danger.

Ooo... Two idea's... I think that's 4cents worth  :P

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:12 AM »
I liked the crypts when they actually got up to champions and such. Don't hear much about that happening any more.

There was some talk about the thigh bones being used to get better healing potions, but I've never heard anything come of it.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:47:18 AM »
As far as im aware, knuckles for ML potions, vampire fangs for restoration potions and elite vamp hearts for 'heal' potions.

Grieyls the point is to try and keep the level 10+ out of the ML crypt to leave some action for the lower levels, unless the burial gets bumped up so it yields more xp, challenge and the chance to get 'ghoul tongue's, thigh bones or such' for better potions is worth a shot.

Unfortunately the herbalists that can make Cure moderate/critical wounds dont have the resources to make them for the masses, and those willing to do so would be joined to their cauldron by the hip.

Im sure the Dm and Dev team can come up with something if they wanted to :mrgreen:

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
Wish we'd just return healing potions to NPC vendors.  That would put an end to high levels farming crypts.  It's kind of sad, since the only reason a person would gather healing from the crypts is because there are a lot of times when herbalist PCs aren't available.  That, or they're only carrying 10-20 potions and sell them all to the first buyer who desires them.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
Wish we'd just return healing potions to NPC vendors.  That would put an end to high levels farming crypts.  It's kind of sad, since the only reason a person would gather healing from the crypts is because there are a lot of times when herbalist PCs aren't available.  That, or they're only carrying 10-20 potions and sell them all to the first buyer who desires them.

But herbalisim was supposed to take care of the demand for such things right?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Aka:  Unintended consequences. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »

But herbalisim was supposed to take care of the demand for such things right?

~Rex

As i said, not enough resourses. Back in the day when you could use spells to help you in crafting it still took a while to get along.
Nowadays for people starting out it takes a long long time, that and the fact that hardly anyone does it because its so costly with little reward.
You'd either have to pick to the point you cant carry anything then brew your little arse off, or pay people to collect for you wich is a unreliable income of herbs.
That and adding to the fact that herbalists dont want to spend all their online time brewing or selling, if it was meant to balance out the demand for potion then i doubt it'd work. Even when it first started out the prices were always shakey, either people found them to expensive or they were so cheap daisy pushers couldnt keep up with the demand.

Im guessing all has been said thats needed to be said on the topic, i just hope the dev team can come up with something niffty to balance it out.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »
From my experience, when player characters form relationships and work with one another, the herbalism trade is great.  It only makes good story sense that some herbalist will be better supplied than others, if they have the resources set up.  With the Ezrite faction, donation of herbs and coin are steady enough to create a nice balance, where the laymen and templars in turn are supplied with healing potions and other potions. 

Ingredients are donated by the flock and friends, and then they are supplied to meet their needs. 

That at least is an experience how the dynamics are working successfully for characters in a faction, and those friends of the faction who contribute to the system. 

There should be benefits to characters who work together, compared to characters who try to lone it.

I'm not sure if anything will stop higher level characters from going thorugh the catacomb area, with the area being in close proximity to the rp hub.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
From my experience, when player characters form relationships and work with one another, the herbalism trade is great.  It only makes good story sense that some herbalist will be better supplied than others, if they have the resources set up.  With the Ezrite faction, donation of herbs and coin are steady enough to create a nice balance, where the laymen and templars in turn are supplied with healing potions and other potions. 

Ingredients are donated by the flock and friends, and then they are supplied to meet their needs. 

That at least is an experience how the dynamics are working successfully for characters in a faction, and those friends of the faction who contribute to the system. 

There should be benefits to characters who work together, compared to characters who try to lone it.

I'm not sure if anything will stop higher level characters from going thorugh the catacomb area, with the area being in close proximity to the rp hub.

DM shows up spawns encounter appropriate to the CR of the marauders, poof problem solved.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
Elite hearts, at least the last time I took some in, only give cure critical potions, which is really disappointing considering what it took before to kill the HIPs spamming elites.  Well, unless you were a curse song spamming bard or an acid sheathed mage of course, then they died pretty easily.  Upgrading them to a regeneration potion (6HPs per round, say 11th level so 11 rounds) would give a highly effective potion, but not one that would be overpowered for combat situations.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »
Well...as another option, you guys do know that five drobitas and ten Gold will get you a Level 5 Cure Moderate potion at Nadja's, right?  :?

*worries if the beetle tunnels will get farmed even worse than they do now*

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
I'm all for putting cure moderates back into a shop somewhere. It's a pain in the butt to go through all the herb collecting just to get a few potions you'll end up using up rapidly. The demand is a bit too high.

If any lowbies have hordes of Morninglord potions they want to get rid of, my chars will buy them off you. Someone sold me like, 120 or so a while ago, and they've lasted me a while. They're good for throwing on people who fall down dead in combat.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
I don't think they should be back in stores.

The only reason for any kind of potion shortage is the fact that fey leaves only grow for 1/4 of the game year, making it really hard to create a flow of potions.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »
Time to build a green house.

~Rex

Lockleed

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
I've got one PC who has more or less mastered the herbalism system.  He's intensely anti-social, but does gather a large amount of herbs on his own, and very "quietly" pays ridiculous sums for herbs from other gatherers he's associated with.  He's hardly shorted when it comes to herbs, but in terms of the healing variety there is a definite trend I've noticed.

Supplies to make moderate healing potions are never in short supply.  If there was anyone just wanting moderate potions, any of the servers herbalists, even those of lower caliber (able to make a cure moderate without fail) could punch those out in large numbers.  Cure serious are the killer, because, like Bad_Bud said back there, the rare element of those potions is only available about 1/4 (or less) of the in game year.  Nor are they in large amounts, even then.  My PC can produce enough Cure Serious potions each in-game year to keep himself mildly stocked up on them... he couldn't provide enough overall to supply anyone else.  Thats not greed, thats just the production rate.  And he has his own healing spells to fall back on, so for him, the few potions he produces are just fallbacks, not the sole means of healing.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and introduce a fourth healing herb element into the mix.  I would make that herb available 1/2 of the year, and the combination of the 4 produce a cure critical potion.  It would increase the output of healing potions of good caliber from herbalists and provide them a higher grade product to put out.  Heck, jack the DC of a cure critical above and beyond the current max DCs, give the herbalists something new and harder to aspire too.  Alternatively, fey leaves could be made more frequent or in higher quantites, that would pump up the output of healing potions as well.

These are just a few ideas toward the economy end of herbalism.  As things are my herbalist can provide for himself in healing terms, just not enough to market and sell to anyone else.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:42 AM »
Perhaps something as simple as a Npc herbalist wich has plenty of stock but wich is exceedingly expensive. So you can get what'ever you need all year round....if you have the gold.

Wich in return makes the Pc herbalists more attractive to people wich could then boost up their buisness aswell as the amount of produce they get to make the damn potions.