You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: "homes" for natives  (Read 5885 times)

Maryn

• Dark Power
"homes" for natives
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
Before I lay out this idea, let me make something super clear.

This is not player/character housing. Not in the sense of owning one anyways.

That said. . . . after yammering with Soren about this a little, thought I'd post this for feedback and discussion.  :)

I have a native named Maggie Zeklos. IC'ly, she lives in the slums with her little brother Alex. IC'ly, she has a house somewhere in the slums, typical of most native characters. Obviously she doesn't actually have a house ingame, because we don't support player housing. That's peachy keen. However, there are times when she's needed to bring someone back to her house. In these circumstances, I've used the abandoned house in the slums to represent her house. No, I'm not actually claiming it's hers. If I ever got there a someone else was using it for roleplay, I would just leave, no harm done. The problem is, the abandoned houses -really- do look crappy. As they should. When you enter at night, its pitch black if you don't have a torch or lantern. Now. . . . finally. Idea.

There are tons of static doors all over the city currently. It would be peachy keen to throw in a few generic looking houses in each district, (except for the government, and warehouse district for obvious reasons) designed to fit the district in which they are placed. Poor, but clean looking houses in the slums, middle class in the market district, and so on. This would provide places for natives to roleplay representation of their house ingame. No, you couldnt claim it perpetually. If someone else was using it for roleplay, it would probably be first come first serve, etc. But I think this would be so nice for natives roleplay. I know this isn't a 100% problem free idea, so let the discussion flow, and remember to be constructive. Thnx.  :)

Maryn

• Dark Power
Re: "homes" for natives
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
(clears throat) and sorry for accidently posting this like three times. My computer is being skitzy. The other ones have been deleted. XD

fulkren

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
I like the idea as well, some empty houses in each district would be neat to RP out as living quarters. as it is, my PC currently has a long term room at the blue water inn. but there are tons of buildings in that district alone not being used.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
Ditto, very neat idea.  ;)

Hmmm what else to add? Well nothing really. You've said it all for me.  :D

Vokan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:05:43 AM »
Definately will have to agree on this one. Some of those empty houses could easily prove as excellent locations for RP, especially for Native Barovians. After all, a lot of Barovians RP as being FROM Vallaki. (And, it's just cool to have empty houses... I don't know how it would effect lag, though.)

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:33:12 AM »
I'm throwing in my vote for "Yes, this is an awesome idea." It's not unlike how every outlander-based faction, group, or party of adventurers shares the downstairs sitting room in the Lady's Rest as their own personal secret meeting place/staging area/study/drinking room/love nest imeanwhat.
Underneath this hood... is another hood.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
I can see the potential but I can also see the risks of it.

No this is my house!!

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »
The main reason I support this idea is becuase I can't stand how the static doors make the city feels less OOC immersive, since you can actually see which houses are non-existent.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:58 AM »
I can see the potential but I can also see the risks of it.

No this is my house!!

Yes quite right... Well how about outside each house there is a single torch beside the door which turns on when the house is occupied. On means house is being used for Roleplay, off means feel free to enter and RP to your hearts content. ;) Alternatively every entry door can be locked and unlocked from the inside with a DC that is just too hight o beat... That would be tad trickeir to do though I think.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »
Alternatively every entry door can be locked and unlocked from the inside with a DC that is just too hight o beat... That would be tad trickeir to do though I think.
That would be fine until someone locks the door and logs off while inside.

On another server that I play on from time to time, there are inn rooms, houses, apartments and bath house rooms that can be locked from the inside with a lever; if someone else wants to come in, they have to pull a chain to ring the doorbell and hope that the occupant (or one of the occupants) answers the door.  And the last time I visited the bath house for my faction's town, two of the four rooms were locked...and the Player Locator widget revealed that I was the only player in the bath house at the time.

Friggin' log-offing door-lockers....  :grumble:

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »
This is starting to sound like "no-tell motels". 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
This is starting to sound like "no-tell motels". 
That server?  More like "tell-everything-and-smile motels".  :P

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
Nice ideas. I especially like the torch on/torch off idea. Although probably a good idea not to overcomplicate this, and keep it simple.

Indi

• New to the Mists
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
Zarusian stamp of approval on this idea.

:idea: How about setting up a temporary key system? Similar to when you rent rooms in the inn. Once you've paid the rent for the building you can enter, do what you please with it. Once you leave the building the key disappears and the area is reset.

I'm sure the script could be applied pretty simply to this setup, correct me if I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:20:42 PM by Indi »

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Zarusian stamp of approval on this idea.

:idea: How about setting up a temporary key system? Similar to when you rent rooms in the inn. Once you've paid the rent for the building you can enter, do what you please with it. Once you leave the building the key disappears and the area is reset.

I'm sure the script could be applied pretty simply to this setup, correct me if I'm wrong.

Wouldn't be much different then the script set up for an Inn at that point.  You basically make, a bunch of little Inns.  Thing is though who do you "get the key" from?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Indi

• New to the Mists
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
You caught me as I was finishing off the expansion to my idea Rex.  :)

To make it a little realistic in terms of roleplay:

How about setting up a landlord business in each district? PC's can come to the landlords house and check for available buildings. Players can then use the building for whatever purpose for say.. 100 fang per day. (In game day of course.) For sake of ease, a script would be in place to automatically remove the gold from the characters inventory.

To prevent people or factions camping a building, the rent could be bumped up to say 500 fang a day after a week, 1000 after 2 weeks etc; So it wouldn't be profitable for somebody to keep a house for a long period of time. There would be an exploit to this system, being that people could simply terminate renting a building and re-apply.. But this could be countered by limiting a persons renting capability to once per week (real life time.)

I'd also suggest offering different types of building to rent, other than housing. Warehouses, shops.. Even large facilities for independent non-canon factions. (Although the latter would have a heftier rent price obviously.)

I'm sure there are holes to fill in this idea, I've only had a little think about it. But it's a start.

I mean.. We could always simplify it and set it up as I first suggested. But with this idea, atleast the non-canon factions could have a base of operations to work with for events.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:45:36 PM by Indi »

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »
You caught me as I was finishing off the expansion to my idea Rex.  :)

To make it a little realistic in terms of roleplay:

How about setting up a landlord business in each district? PC's can come to the landlords house and check for available buildings. Players can then use the building for whatever purpose for say.. 100 fang per day. (In game day of course.) For sake of ease, a script would be in place to automatically remove the gold from the characters inventory.

To prevent people or factions camping a building, the rent could be bumped up to say 500 fang a day after a week, 1000 after 2 weeks etc; So it wouldn't be profitable for somebody to keep a house for a long period of time. There would be an exploit to this system, being that people could simply terminate renting a building and re-apply.. But this could be countered by limiting a persons renting capability to once per week (real life time.)

I'd also suggest offering different types of building to rent, other than housing. Warehouses, shops.. Even large facilities for independent non-canon factions. (Although the latter would have a heftier rent price obviously.)

I'm sure there are holes to fill in this idea, I've only had a little think about it. But it's a start.

I mean.. We could always simplify it and set it up as I first suggested. But with this idea, atleast the non-canon factions could have a base of operations to work with for events.

If you kept it at the Per Day option.  Might work.  Greater amounts of time get twitchy especially if you consider things like crashes and re-sets.

~Rex

Indi

• New to the Mists
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
Yeah I know, crashes and resets always insert complications. But I'm sure if the figures are played around with we could come up with a solid system. I'll have a think about it. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm really keen about the idea of rentable buildings.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
I support all ideas expressed here.

Although, I'd love to own my own house, and what would also be great, a item vault.

They could create a "big hotel" on the city, which would primaly only have the reception and a lobby/bar, and if the character would feel like going to his own room he could ask a NPC standing besides the stairs. So it would work just like the bank. I mean, let's say:

*Talks with the NPC*
*NPC says*Do you want to check in now?
1.Yes
2.No
3.Visit somebody's room
*Answers yes*
*PC teleported to his room*

If the PC choses 3. the game could offer a list of room owners present at the time, they'd pick one, then they'd be teleported to a area(tiny room, with one way out and the room's door) outside the PC's room. Which would be locked, and only opened from a switch inside.

There would be a real life daily tax. Let's say, 100 fangs (DMs decide)

There could be larger rooms, smallers, the taxes would vary widely.

I also dream about a item vault on the server, but that's for the future, for now the rooms would be just gre-a-t.
Imaigne, yourself sponsoring a meeting or small party in your own room.

The "big hotel" could also own different areas(Ball room for example) nothing epicly big, otherwise it'd add too much load to the server.

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
>.>

Viorica wants a treehouse.  :|

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I support all ideas expressed here.

Although, I'd love to own my own house, and what would also be great, a item vault.

They could create a "big hotel" on the city, which would primaly only have the reception and a lobby/bar, and if the character would feel like going to his own room he could ask a NPC standing besides the stairs. So it would work just like the bank. I mean, let's say:

*Talks with the NPC*
*NPC says*Do you want to check in now?
1.Yes
2.No
3.Visit somebody's room
*Answers yes*
*PC teleported to his room*

If the PC choses 3. the game could offer a list of room owners present at the time, they'd pick one, then they'd be teleported to a area(tiny room, with one way out and the room's door) outside the PC's room. Which would be locked, and only opened from a switch inside.

There would be a real life daily tax. Let's say, 100 fangs (DMs decide)

There could be larger rooms, smallers, the taxes would vary widely.

I also dream about a item vault on the server, but that's for the future, for now the rooms would be just gre-a-t.
Imaigne, yourself sponsoring a meeting or small party in your own room.

The "big hotel" could also own different areas(Ball room for example) nothing epicly big, otherwise it'd add too much load to the server.

I assumed that there was once a run for persistent storage, but it didn't work out for some reason.  As for player owned housing.  I've played in numerous places that had it, and it is a great RP tool, however it's also a pain in the butt when said player drops off the face of the planet for a few months, and you are stuck with content not being used.

Every things got some sort of issue attached to it.  Still, some "free" houses here and there, shouldn't be a bad thing right?

~Rex

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
Later at night I was thinking about what I've said up there, and this thought came.. Maybe what I said wouldn't fit very well with the setting, like a Huge Inn, still there could have some small blocks of houses which could work as I said or similary.

Anyway, players renting a house would be granted one week (RL time, Game Time is too fast and hard to measure) of ownership, and a certain sum of gold would be charged from their inventory at the act of the deal(RP in your mind a contract signature) and they'd have to wait 5 days(RL time) in order to renew it, otherwise after one week and no renew at sight, they'd lose it, then the house would become available at the 8th day.

I suggest setting the prices in a reason between 500~4000; Again, prices could vary depending on the house's size and "condition". Let's say you rent the poorest house at the slums, you pay the least avaiable.

500~1000 for the slums;
1000~2000 Other areas;
2000~4000 for the wealthy districts;

All prices listed here are just to serve as example, naturally a house at the slums could cost more than the said, taking in count that the rent lasts for one entire real life week...

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »
About the itens vault, the houses would be a fine(if not great) start. We talk about the itens later ;D

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 01:53:03 AM »
Lostsoul - hate to think of the condition of the kid after he got hit like that... but back to business...

K.I.S.S

2-3 empty usable houses in the residental and Slum areas...voila! No scripts needed, no keys.

Sure - the house may be in use, use the one next door.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 03:33:00 AM »
Just occurred to me that this idea is in the same line as using an Inn room. Don't know how often I've used an Inn room to have a private conversation with another character and been intruded on by a third. Usually say... "//hey the door was locked [winks].

Oh and I'll lobby for that tree house for ya too Wids  ;) :P