Author Topic: Suggestion - Winters in Barovia  (Read 2660 times)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Suggestion - Winters in Barovia
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »
Wouldnt it be an idea to play out the true hardships faced by man and beast alike in the heart of winter.
That creatures of the night come closer to human settlements in search of food. Peasants in the slum found under a foot of snow, stiff as a board.
Just to give more vibe to the setting.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
Re: Suggestion - Winters in Barovia
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »
How about yellow snow?   :lol:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »
 :lol:

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »
How about yellow snow?   :lol:

PC: [Eats the Yellow Snow]
DM: // roll for fortitude
PC: [fort]
PC: 20
PC: [is completely unaffected]
Underneath this hood... is another hood.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
I can't believe that yellow snow was mentioned here... No wait... Yeah I can  :shock:

Errr...  :lol:

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
I do wish the whole server's color could changes to snow when winter comes along. But i know that would involves changing a lot more than just a few trees. Too with the whole, one year is one year deal, that mean no more winter for a month then summer again deal.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »
What's really off putting is where I live its actaully summer and it's hot as anything. So I always forget that on the server its winter from time to time and when my char gets damage from the extreme cold I get confused half the time thinking.. What the.. Its summer isn't it?.. Oh wait a sec... Doh!

So yeah having the whole server change colour to reflect the season would be handy, but yeah I know that's probably something beyond reality to do.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Well i would expect the hardships of winter to reflect a bit more, minks, racoon's and especially Badgers would be curled up under ground away from kenny...the neuri would venture further to find something to decapitate.
Much more disease going around, the rectory's would be flooded with peasants begging for food etc.
Avalanches on the mountains, snow creature's coming further down the mountain. Hell i'd love to come across a yeti in the middle of winter flinging dung at murnu's shop or something crazy like that :P

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
What's really off putting is where I live its actaully summer and it's hot as anything. So I always forget that on the server its winter from time to time and when my char gets damage from the extreme cold I get confused half the time thinking.. What the.. Its summer isn't it?.. Oh wait a sec... Doh!

So yeah having the whole server change colour to reflect the season would be handy, but yeah I know that's probably something beyond reality to do.

The only time I get to experience snow is on this server.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
Populations are seasonal. Winters come down from the mountains during winter. Other things leave. The weather system somewhat reflects the changing season by the fog colour, weather, etc. The ingredient system too.

Of course, more can always be done, and we never cease to keep improving little things like that, but time is time, and we don't have unlimited amounts of it :)

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
You know what I want to see during the cold season?

The Common Cold!

When one fails a few Fort. vs Cold, the PC gets an physical stat drain (Not level, and regardless of cold damage), reflecting a cold...

This would encourage people to dress warmly or be healthy (high con or fortitude items) when traveling cold places like the mountains or the ice queen's palace

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »
If you could make characters' breath condensate graphically, that would go a really long ways...

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:21:27 AM »
If you could make characters' breath condensate graphically, that would go a really long ways...

Haha I'd love to see that too, there's even a greaph vfx for it, however I'm not sure if it's possible to strip the sound of it or everyone would go: Fffffffffshhhhhhhhhhhhh. As well as it would probably cause some lag that everyone would spamm a vfx :C