Author Topic: Resurrecting a Spirit: (Gert Addams' story)  (Read 4556 times)

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
Re: Resurrecting a Spirit: (Gert Addams' story)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »
Bad hunter chases, good hunter waits.
Old Iroquois saying

He hunted occasionally, not so much for coin, but to relax and think.  It was a welcome change to get out of the armor and spend some time in the woods.  The minks were coming into season, and he had caught some bear tracks earlier.  He would catch the sharp end of Alyntha's tongue, when she found out he was bear hunting again, but the wolves had become too easy and he had yet to track down the lair of gargoyles.  So bears it was.  The poor of the Slums could certainly use the meat and fur that a large grizzly could provide.

Geeeeeeerrrrrt.

A high pitched voice wafting overhead.  He heard the sound of a deer bounding off into the trees, spooked by the noise, and he looked around, behind him, annoyed.  "You just cost me hours of sitting.  What is it?"

Up heere, Gert.

His head snapped up and he peered through the branches.  A small figure sat in the branches, shoes with curled toes dangling into the air.  His painted face, peered down at him, the awful smile on his face.

"You," he growled.  Images flashed through his mind, the dead girl's head lying separate from her body, a frozen look of terror etched on her small features.  The blood everywhere, the grieving father, the burying of the small corpse.  And this... fiend was the cause of it all.  Worse, it had threatened Alyntha and their unborn children.

His bow dropped to the ground and his axe was in his hand almost instantly.  "Come on down here, then, coward.  Let us settle this like men."

"Oh, I think I'll stay up here, out of reach, of that wicked axe.  I just want to talk to you."

His eyes narrowed.  "So talk."

His wicked grin widened.  "I just wanted to ask how Alyntha's and my children are doing?"

The beast woke and snarled, and this time he felt no need to keep it in check.  "You are mistaken, sir.  The children are mine, not yours."

"Oh they will be mine, soon enough.  Alyntha and you were never my targets.  She is safe, as are you are.  After all, I need someone to carry on my work."

"Your thrice damned work, will end with your wretched life!  You can surrender to me now, and I merely turn you over to the Citadel.  If I have to hunt you, well these wolf leather boots are a testament to what happens to the things I hunt."

"Oh please.  I can stay out of the reach of your axe easily enough.  You're too slow and clunky to chase after me!"

"Easily remedied."  Gert picked up his bow and notched an arrow, lining it up with that grinning face.

The Jester burst into laughter.  "I've been sitting up here, watching you with that bow.  You couldn't hit a cow with two broken legs!"

Gert's aim did not waver.  "Are you willing to wager your life on that?"

The grin faltered, just a hair.  "Since I'm still here, I am doing just that."

Without preamble he let the arrow fly.  The point struck the Jester in the shoulder, and he screeched grabbing onto a branch.

"You HURT me!"  The fiend turned and bounded away across the tree tops, with impossible jumps.  Gert watched him flee, knowing that he could not follow.  Gritting his teeth he muttered.  "So you are only human, and can be hurt.  Come near my family again, and I may accidentally slip a poisoned arrow in with the regular ones."

The beast snarled again, unsatisfied, but there was nothing to be done for it now.  As he turned to retrieve his axe, he spotted something lying in the leaves.  Something that the Jester had dropped... a book of some kind.

He picked it up and thumbed through the pages.  Hand written, the ramblings of an unhinged mind.  By all the gods, a personal journal?

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

vlowe72

• Undead Master
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »
She let her cloak drop to the cave floor and approached the steam vent with abandon.  As Gert watched... horrified, she stuck both her hands in the superheated steam.  He expected to hear her screams as the skin was boiled right off her arms.  Instead, she only threw him a wink and rubbed her hands together.  The extreme temperature did not bother her, in fact she seemed to take pleasure in it.

Then two leathery wings unfolded from her back casting a long black shadow before the glow of his armor.  He stumbled back, choking off a cry, and pulled his axe and shield free.  She turned at the sound and put one hand on her hips, exasperated.  "Oh Gert.  Don't look at me like that."

"Y... y.... what -are- you?"  Stories that he had read in his youth flashed through his mind.  Succubus, demons, tannari.  Deadly... all of them and he was deep down in a cave alone with one of them.

She rolled her eyes.  "I'm Alana, Gert.  I'm who I've always been.  Now knock it off and let's get going."  She flapped her wings slowly like a giant moth and smirked at him.  "You can touch them if you want."

He took a step, but froze, unsure.  If she wasn't a true demon, she was at the very least, something unusual, and in this land, strange usually meant evil.  The people would call her a Caliban, and caliban's had a history of causing him pain.

She turned up a corner of her mouth, a bit miffed at him.  "Have it your way then.  I'll leave you be."  She picked up her cloak and stalked off into the darkness.

A person's character is measured by their deeds, not their words or their appearance.  A principle he had tried to live by his whole life, but could it extend even to... this?  Alana took a perverse pleasure in shocking people, but he had never seen her do anything deliberately evil or cruel.  And he found her directness a refreshing change.

Plus, she was both a whore, and a former slave, two things that held a soft spot in his heart.

Several weeks later, he stared at the ceiling, his beloved lying beside him.  She had been very tired and had mostly stayed under the protection of his Lightcarriers, in the temple.  He missed having her by his side, but he was glad to know that she was safe.  Sleep was elusive for him, too many thoughts flying through his mind.

The night demons had returned to him.  Not the demons of his memories, but the ones of doubt and despair.  He could not explain it to anyone, because on the surface he should be happy.  He had everything he could want, but... there was something disquiet in him.  He was missing something, but he couldn't identify what it was.

It frightened him, because despair left him at his most vulnerable to his temptations.

You can't say no to your impulses, the demons whispered to him.

"We'll see about that," he muttered to the darkness.

Alyntha stirred and murmured half asleep.  "What, love?"

He kissed her forehead gently.  "Nothing, love."  She grunted softly and fell back asleep.  He laid his head down and watched her, a small tear forming in his eyes.

I love her so much, it's... more than I can stand.  The thought of hurting her in any way, fills me with dread.  Why, by Dawn, am I even having this struggle?

The demons answered him, smirking.

Because you're a weak, pathetic fool.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

vlowe72

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
Meant to tell you, tell you from the start.  Meant to show you what's inside this shallow heart
But I could not find the words worthy enough to say.

Tried to be there, be there if you fall.  Tried to make you feel big When life makes you feel small.
But I could not find the steps quickly enough to take.

I want to change things, want to clear the air.  Fix the things around us so badly in need of repair.
I might not have the sense enough to change.

I slipped along the way

Geddy Lee - "Slipping."

Pride.

A new unfamiliar sensation to him.  A group had emerged from the crypts, terrorized by the dark things beneath.  The skeleton warriors had arisen again, led by a champion.  They dared not face it, they had cut down three of their number already.  The undead priests worked their unholy magics, and threatened to spill out into the land.

He led them down and the battle was joined.  The group was all cut down or scattered, leaving only the young knight to face the champion alone.  He did not hesitate, for he felt the strength of the Dawn flowing into him.

Destroy them, my son, he heard in his head, and he smiled behind his helmet.  Axes clashed and the holy met the unholy.

A moment later, he stood over a pile of bones, blood pouring from his face.  He held his axe over his head and his scream of triumph echoed throughout the crypts.

He sought out the others and tended to their wounds.  They looked at him and at the fallen skeletons and their stared at him in wonder, at the glowing axe in his hand.

A virtual Army is he.

Doubtless his god is with him.

We have no need to fear this place, with those such as him standing watch.

Admiration and respect.  He basked in it, for the first time in his life.  Had his face not been covered, they would have seen the great smile on his face.  He was the Champion of the Dawn.  He led them to the surface, confident in his ability to protect Alyntha.  In the church, he could not help but tell the story of his fight.  He wanted to laugh aloud at how far he had come.  I deserve to be proud.  I have greatly grown in strength and skill.

He was indeed proud.

And soon would come the fall.

Alone, as he kept watch throughout the night within the Outskirts, he had a lot of time to think.  Only within his mind, dared he be honest with himself. 

There's no way in the Hells, I'd betray Alyntha.  Especially with a demon.  That would mean destroying my life, her life and the reputation of the Church.  Nothing would be worth that.

But you've thought about it.

I...

You told her she was pretty, that you liked being with her.  You even asked her how much she charged.  Are you sure that was not just a curious question?

Alyntha can never know!  If she suspected that I had such thoughts, it would kill her.

Alana has a whole army of men, willing to pay great sums of money for her attentions.  And yet she talked with you.  Admit it, it made you feel good.  Like a real man.  And you were curious as to why all those men were willing to empty their savings for her.  Curious as to what it would be like and what if you were free...

Being married to Alyntha is not slavery!  It is freedom!  Freedom from loneliness, from despair.

You would never have to worry about Alana's safety, because you really wouldn't care.  When you love too deeply, it makes you vulnerable.  Alana could give you what you wanted without you having to protect her.  Think of it, not having to keep her inside at night, everyone not chastising you because she's not happy.  Complete freedom.

Then I don't want this freedom.  I would rather be a slave to Alyntha, then be free without her.  That is the choice I make.

If anyone had looked closely at a certain Lightcarrier that night, they would have noticed a white knuckled grip and a grinding of teeth.  Almost as if the knight were preparing for battle.

vlowe72

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »
The being looked upon him, and Gert wanted to melt into the ground.  Without thinking, he dropped to his knees and bent his head against the bright glow.

I am so unworthy, my Lord.  Do not ask this of me.

Speaking in a voice that filled the room like a choir, the words echoed through him.  What would you ask of me, mortal?  One question and one question only may you speak and I will answer.

He dared to look upon the Saint.  The gold light hurt his eyes, but he did not look away.  His voice trembled as he spoke.  "Th... this I would know.  The one weapon, the blade that the night creatures fear above all others.  Where can it be found?"

The weapon is here.  I have brought it safe from those who have gone before Thee.  Now, my task is to bring it to those who would wield the Sun Blade in the service of Righteousness, against those who dwell in darkness. The Sainted One looked with eyes among the four of them, Soren, Vicar Miklos, Gert, and Warden Nell, measuring and judging.

Who among you will take up the Sun Blade?  Who will use it against the enemies of the Dawn?

Gert froze, his throat paralyzed.  Every part of him wanted to scream out "I will take it!"  He could not make his voice work, for the old doubts assailed him.  He could almost hear the Saint speak in a voice dripping with contempt.

You?  Hold the Sun Blade?  It would end up at the bottom of some cave in less than a week, in some monsters treasure hoard.  Such an artifact should not be wasted on unworthy knights. 

The moment passed.  Soren did not hesitate and stepped forward.  "I will raise up the Sun Blade against those who dwell in Darkness."

The first one to speak.  The wielder has been chosen.  My task is thus complete.

The Saint of the Morninglord vanished from sight, leaving only the glowing blade.  Soren stepped forward and picked it up, testing its weight.

Gert collapsed and almost wept with bitterness.  No one noticed, they were all too awed by the events that had transpired.

Several hours later, the young knight sat alone, his brain whirling.  He wanted to curl up into a ball, and withdraw.  The dark secrets Soren had told him and the plans he had made.  The entire Land was allied against him.  How could he expect to even survive, much less succeed.

Madness.

Ana had attempted it, and she had died horribly.  To try the same thing would be tantamount to suicide.

I cannot!

Coward!

To retreat against overwhelming odds is not cowardice.

A chance to strike at the heart of Darkness.

No chance at all.  There is no hope of success.

No hope?  Blasphemer!

Alyntha, where are you?  I need you!

Keep her away!  She cannot be a part of this madness.

A candle can banish any flame.

The darkness is always waiting, watching for the candle to burn itself out.

vlowe72

• Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
The sweetness was turned to adamantine, heartless cruelty, and the purity to voluptuous wantonness.
-Dracula

Winter in Barovia.  He shivered once drawing his cloak around himself.  The wind caught the red fabric and danced it around him, almost as if the air itself were teasing him.  He felt... odd this day, strange compulsions and thoughts whirled through his mind.

The graveyard.  For some reason, he felt compelled to seek it out.  He had not thought of her in weeks, but tonight she occupied his thoughts.  The pain had returned and he cursed it.  Does it never end?  The ache, the grief, the regret and the fear of what he might someday be called to do.

He raised his gaze up to the mountains.  She was out there somewhere, no doubt doing things unspeakable.

Not out there, my love.

His blood froze.  The words were like honey, soft and seductive.  They caressed him, like the wind, only warm and inviting.  He wanted to close his eyes and drown in the sound.

He touched the Sunray and the golden light flared, eliminating the squat black graveyard.  He cast his vision around, but the place was empty, or seemed that way.

A laugh, musical and teasing.  You won't find me that way.

Footsteps behind him.  He whirled and looked into the face of a started. Nara'ia.  "Is everything all right, Brother?"

"I... I'm not sure.  I'm hearing voices."

"Spirits?"

"No... something else.  A voice that I know."

Do you remember us together?  Our love can last forever if you want it to.

He automatically took a step in the direction, but stopped.  What was he doing?  Nara'ia looked at him, worry etched on her face.  "Brother, you shouldn't go out alone like that."

He spoke to the air.  "You will not taint me with the folly of the misguided choice you made."

Are you sure it is so misguided?  Alyntha's life is so short.  You would be able to protect her for the few decades she lives.  Then we can be together, for century upon century.  The breeze wrapped around him, he could almost feel her arms around him.  I know your heart better than anyone.  You did not retreat into your temple, and drive me away.  You don't want me to leave, my love.

A single tear trickled down his cheek.  "There was a time when I prayed for you to call me that.  But the time of our love has passed.  I suppose there will always be an ache for you, but the price... is too high."

We'll see.  Think about it and think about me.  Will you at least protect me from those who would hunt me?

"I CAN'T!"  His sudden scream echoed through off the stone tombs.  "If you know me so well, then you know what I have to do.  Part of me hopes I can never find you, because if I had to do this... it might very well tear me apart."

Silence.  She was gone.  Nara'ia was looking at him confused and concerned.  Of course to her, he had seemed to be speaking to the empty air, so it was no wonder she feared for his sanity.  He gave her a weak smile.  "Let's go inside.  Dark things on the wind tonight."

"What things?"

He looked back, his gaze resting on a certain tombstone.  "Ghosts."

vlowe72

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
It is hard to have patience with people who say "There is no death" or "Death doesn't matter." There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter.
C.S. Lewis

The cry of the child was heartbreaking; the little one was obviously terrified by the cold and darkness.  As it had good reason to be, although Gert doubted that the child comprehended the true danger he was in.

The vampire smiled, and let the edge of the dagger trail along the side of the baby's face, letting the point touch the area over his heart.  "I propose a trade.  The child's life for one of your own.  The hin... " she waved over by the Brumbat trying to hide in the shadows.  "... or the married Knight."  She pointed the knife briefly at Gert.  "Choose one and I'll let the child go."

I could do it, Gert though.  Once the baby is safe, I can stake that damn bloodsucker.  He looked into the wide eyes of the infant, which almost pleaded with him to save it.  He nearly wept.  He -had- to save this one or he would probably go mad.  He took a step forward.  "I'll..."

It was almost telepathic the way that Alyntha could anticipate her husband's actions.  Before he could finish, she stepped forward, a snarl of defiance on her face.  "We do not make deals, with the likes of you!"  She raised her staff, preparing to strike.

Chanting from behind them, a prayer to the Morninglord.  Mother Jessica held her rose disk symbol to her chest, her eyes tightly closed.  There was a rumble of power and a dimensional gate opened, shaking the tower to its foundations, as an Archon stepped forward, sword raised.

The vampire sighed.  "So be it," and raised the dagger to plunge into the child.  Gert screamed.  He was only a few steps away and he dived forward, his axe chopping down to hack at the dagger.  If he could only be fast enough... he could save him.

If only...

The child was in his arms, looking up at him with adoration.  "You saved me, Daddy." the small voice said.  He squeezed it gently and looked at his smiling wife.  "We did indeed.  A small candle lit against the darkness, but we killed that leech, and left its remains as a warning to others.  They will not be so quick to hunt the little ones among us."

He looked up at the others gathered around him and frowned.  A group had gathered, eyeing the infant in his arm with suspicion... and fear.  Understandable, he supposed.  They had, after all, found the child deep within a vampire lair.  They didn't understand; they had thought the child a danger.  Ridiculous.  He was scared and needed a safe place to be.

He handed the baby over to Alyntha, putting one hand on his axe.  "You frighten our new son," he growled.  "I will protect him with my life, just you remember that.  No harm will come to him again."

He could feel the eyes on his back as they went out of the temple.  To Hells with them!  They would love this child that they had rescued from the foul undead, and his brother and sister would love him as well.

Panting, he stood at the lake shore.  They were suspicious, all of them.  He'd had to drive them off, severly wounding several.  Why?  How could anyone frighten a child so.  He hated that he had had to resort to this, getting covered with blood.

Blood?  That was odd.  He had taken special care not to fatally wound any of them.  It was an awful lot as well, but they had managed to flee so he had supposed they couldn't have been hurt too badly.

He looked as his wife.  She was speaking softly to the child, gently cleaning the blood off of his face.  It had soaked all through the front of him, especially where the knife had...

The blood.

Oh blessed Dawn!

The memory flooded back.  He had not been fast enough.  The vampire had slain the child in front of him.  In furious vengeance, he had reduced the undead thing to a pile of chopped bits, but the child.

The child had died.  They had been cradling a small corpse all this time.

Axe and shield fell from his hands and he collapsed to the ground.  He had failed to save him.  He was not strong enough, not fast enough.

Darkness enclosed around him.