You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Areas - Churches  (Read 1836 times)

Truth

• Dark Lord
    • Myspace!
Areas - Churches
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
I still would like to see a handful of church goers in the morninglord and ezra chruches.  I find it hard to believe that PC's are the only people who attend, maybe like 2 or 3 in the morninglord one cause its unpopular and a few more in the ezrite church
THE NATION THAT MAKES A GREAT DISTINCTION BETWEEN ITS SCHOLARS AND ITS WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS. -THUCYDIDES

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
Re: Areas - Churches
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »
:lol: I think there would be less in the Ezrite church than the MLers. Remember! We're the Dilisnya cultists/poisoners!

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
Yup.  There might be Gundarakite npcs at the slums hospice of the ML, but not at the outskirts temple.  When some Gundarakite pcs tried attending church at the outskirts, it had in their view too much of an outlander flair, with strange talk of some Lathander.   :mrgreen:

Gundarakites are flocking to the ML cult, while slowly, the Ezrites are converting some of the Barovians.  Afterall, the Ezrite mission began only three years ago in Vallaki.  They're just taking root.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
Barovians don't like religions, and the more established and lawful the religion, the more they fear/despise it.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
Remember! We're the Dilisnya cultists/poisoners!

I didn't know that.   :)
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »
Barovians don't like religions, and the more established and lawful the religion, the more they fear/despise it.
I blame Strahd's influence for that one.  If you're a vampire in charge of a country, what's the first thing you should do?  Push all the clerics and paladins outside.  :P

I just know he's at the root of that social more....

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
Why not endorse an evil church then ? One that supports the Count, even if he does it secretly. Say a church like hmm I don't know, The Lawgiver ?  :roll:

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »
Because one notable thing about evil people is that many of them don't identify themselves as being evil or recognize their own wickedness.  Everyone is the hero in their own story, after all.  So they ignore, they deny, they justify, they rationalize or they generally find reasons (good reasons or false ones) to do the unsavory things they do.  Maybe Strahd's the same way.  "I do what is necessary to keep the county of Barovia peaceful and orderly," or "The people cannot judge me, because I have sacrificed much for them throughout the centuries," or even "I have earned the right to do as I see fit, and no one can tell me otherwise."  Meanwhile, more peasants get dragged into the Count's dungeons for whatever reason--however just or unjust--and not many of them return.

So Strahd won't play the Devil and set up a deliberately evil church if he doesn't see himself as having that kind of moral polarity.  But, all the same, he probably wouldn't want to keep those pesky, preachy clerics and paladins around, not when they insist on condemning his practices, sowing rebellion (in the name of righteousness or whatnot) and hurling vials of holy water at him....  :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:50:01 PM by Wids »