Author Topic: Items - Holy water flasks  (Read 2367 times)

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
Items - Holy water flasks
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:43:50 AM »
Hey,

I was wondering if those items could be tweaked, so:

1) They would work against undead PCs (cause now they are unaffected by this grenade like item, holy water does not recognize them as undead)

2) It would be possible to apply it on any melee weapon same as alchemist fire.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
Re: Items - Holy water flasks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
1) They would work against undead PCs (cause now they are unaffected by this grenade like item, holy water does not recognize them as undead)

Then we could get holy weapon to work properly too, as well as a wide arsenal of anti undead goodies that currently dont do squat.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »

Then we could get holy weapon to work properly too, as well as a wide arsenal of anti undead goodies that currently dont do squat.

I still don't get how that happened.  I swear I could remember it not being that way before.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:30:16 AM »
Well I've always used holy water and it worked, doesn't anymore? *puzzled*
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:01:13 AM »
Well I've always used holy water and it worked, doesn't anymore? *puzzled*

Well I haven't wasted any time tossing holy water at an Undead PC simply because most of them regenerate the piddling damage in a blink anyway, but I think the general gist was, Anti Undead Items, don't work on the Undead PC's anymore because of something or other that confuses the issue with them being Undead.

Holy water's always been wimpy in DnD.........even more worthless here.  You'll never see as many 1's on a roller ever.

~Rex

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »
But don't forget what holy water is good for:

1) Toss it at the last sighted location to "uncloak" HIPS-happy undead (with zero chance of damaging non-undead teammates, unlike acid or alchemist's fire).
2) Carry it for an easy RP-related means of revealing someone to be undead or infernal.

But yeah, the damage is kind of trivial.  It doesn't make sense that undead should be able to fast-heal that kind of holy damage, either.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
But don't forget what holy water is good for:

1) Toss it at the last sighted location to "uncloak" HIPS-happy undead (with zero chance of damaging non-undead teammates, unlike acid or alchemist's fire).
2) Carry it for an easy RP-related means of revealing someone to be undead or infernal.

But yeah, the damage is kind of trivial.  It doesn't make sense that undead should be able to fast-heal that kind of holy damage, either.

Throw some Holy Water on a suspected Undead.  Be prepared for the "Owie Owie it's Acid!" Excuse, or the gigantic "You meta Gamer!" argument.  Aside from the OOC baggage, 1 point of damage (which is what you get 90% of the time) isn't going to do you any good.  It's right up there with a wooden stake and a vampire.  Getting past that DR?  With a Pointy Stick?  Don't think so.

Now, having it work like an Alchemist fire (especially with weapons out there that went by the old term, Holy Water Sprinkler) where you can coat a weapon, that would be useful.  Various levels of Grenade damage would be useful as well (to the point of having Unholy Water which would HEAL undead).  Also I'm still not sure if it actually works against an Undead PC, if the various things like Vs Undead items don't work against them anymore either.

I would think though that the Gothic horror setting should take precedent over the typical wimpy DnD Holy Water.  Holy Water, should make Undead critters run screaming as fast as Searing Light, or Hammer of the Gods.

~Rex

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:22 AM »
actually the holy water does more dmg than 1. It simply requires a successful ranged touch attack. Then it does 2d4 + whatever vulnerability modifier the creature has + 1 splash.

And yes, I agree that the holy water should be more potent, RP wise, because of the setting, and gameplay wise, because there is no real alternative for a non-casters to deal with undeads.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »
actually the holy water does more dmg than 1. It simply requires a successful ranged touch attack. Then it does 2d4 + whatever vulnerability modifier the creature has + 1 splash.

And yes, I agree that the holy water should be more potent, RP wise, because of the setting, and gameplay wise, because there is no real alternative for a non-casters to deal with undeads.

I know what it's Supposed to do for damage, but take some screen shots some time and take a look at what that NwN die roller pukes out at you.

~Rex