Author Topic: Vallaki - Static Doors  (Read 1275 times)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Vallaki - Static Doors
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
Ran an auction with PC's, took them around in the Residential district and to my surprise, when trying to open a door on a random house, found out it was static. My immediate feeling was to be disappointed.

I enjoyed having the doors locked around town and gave a sense of mystery to Vallaki; the feeling that anything could be behind a locked door that was be usable. With the stateliness of the doors now, it not only feels false, but its also a dead give away on plot secretive areas like the Ba'al Verzi HQ, for example amongst others.

Anyway, static doors are my new peeve.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Vallaki - Static Doors
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »
I agree. It is a dead giveaway for secret doors since they now are the only real doors in town. So, when someone stumbles upon a locked door, it's obvious there is something behind it.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
They can be locked, right?

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
heh, was just about to post about this. The doors in the Nobles and other districts are normal locked doors, why the phony static doors in Residential district?

and no, they can't be locked, they appear as doors but are not really there, you can walk right through them.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
This is admittedly a compromise - but the system advantage of having the static doors in places like the city where there's a large amount of them is significant. As for the meta part of it, that's no different from most rest of the game - it's always been so that the things of relevance can be identified by highlighting. For DM events, roleplaying the door opening should be enough.