Author Topic: Living in the shadow of Castle Ravenloft ~ Story of Crina  (Read 1836 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Living in the shadow of Castle Ravenloft ~ Story of Crina
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:19:29 AM »
Letter to my child

Andrei, someday you will be old enough to read these letters and then you will know whom was your mother.

Like so many other young girl, i was married by fourteen, the boy was a few years older than me, maybe sixteen i can't remember. We lived together on a small piece of land owned by his family and we worked this land with our hands and hearts. Your father's name was also Andrei, you were his pride and joy when i finally conceived a child, you my dearest. Twice before i lost the child i was carrying with me, i worked too hard, i ate too little. We did not knew why the child would not hold in me. Finally his mother came to me and said to rest, to eat well. We were poor people, we had close to nothing but our wish for a child was greater than all, and so your father made the needed sacrifice and you came to be. I was twenty two.

Our farm was small and the land sterile, our vegetables were tiny and hard. Life was not easy so we worked double, we had to feed you, feed ourselves. These hands that held you all along, they worked the land and bled for you. For Count and Country. When the man that collects taxes came, we would give him what we had saved, it was not much but we paid. The small land that now belonged to us, if we wanted to keep it, we had to pay. I was young and yet so old already, my body was a thousand sore under the plow, my hands dry from the sun and water and my breasts hanging low from feeding you, i was twenty five.

Like so many family, we did not only fought off the hardship of the land, but also the outlanders, the feys, the devils and Old Night, it was as if the land itself was rebelling against us. Night after night did the neuri came, the moon round as a marble and shinny like a mirror. It stared back at us, taunting in all manners, the poor people we are. Your father was a proud man but not the wisest, we had managed to buy a chicken, for fresh eggs, our gold mine we thought. A precious possession. When night came, we feared for it's life and out did your father went, outside of the walls who would protect us. The neuri came and ate your dad, i was a young widow, you, a fatherless child. I was twenty six.

My sister and her five children, she took you in, the gentle soul. She gave her husband four strong boys and together they worked the field like bulls. It was a sight to see them go, brothers. One sister that would marry a *rich* man. She offered to take you in, but my heart sank when it came to realize, there was no space for one more. You so tiny, it was no effort, but I would have to remain homeless. The boyard came and took the farm, we had no money to pay, no men to work. The shame of it all, but i feared not, you would be safe in the arms of my kin. On the road i took my dress and my boots.

Hunger and fear, i could no longer bare. The city is a mess of outlanders and fey and else. How can my child be raised in such a life, my blood, my kin, who would protect them? The guards and their incompetence? I had my doubts, whom else could i trust best but myself. Give up woman, go home and raise your child. I can't i would bite in my jaw and keep my head high. I had to prove it to myself. I was twenty eight and i was a city guard.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:46:25 PM by Nefensis »

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Living in the shadow of Castle Ravenloft ~ Story of Crina
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:32 PM »
Letter to my child

My body ache, you have no idea. Pulling the plow with our shoulders and digging with wooden shovels has nothing on military training. I thought fighting with a halberd would be like shoveling hay, how i was wrong. My knees and elbows, sore and numb all the same. I can't feel my feet either. From farmer i find myself arresting outlanders causing problems. Not something i had ever conceived possible.

Matusa, do you remember this name? We had you call me Auntie so that you would believe my sister was your mother. You were so young, i did not wanted you to miss me while i was away. The citadel is where i sleep now, in the barracks with the other guards. I choose a bunk away from the others, there are a few empty between us. Matusa, that is the name i gave to the rebellious scum that assaulted us. Private Noica (another woman guard, she is younger than me and yet she has given up on ever being married), a recruit named Dragomir and myself were training when we were assaulted with explosive. Black powder is a weapon of the devil, remember this. When near fire, it exploded and the basement where we were, caught on fire. The smoke was filling my nose, it was horrible. We tried to fight our way out, i remember dragging Dragomir upstairs but the Gundarak dogs beat us and tied us. When they tried to interrogate me, i said, my name is Matusa, now leave me alone. Your life is nu worst than mine. I nu explode people, kill innocents because my life is bad! I yelled at them, i was mad.

The truth is, I thought i was to die that day without seeing you again. They saw I would not reply to them and they beat me again. I woke up in the citadel's sickbay. I cried then because I was alive. I woke up to the Lieutenant starring at me. He asked me what happened and i replied. He wished for me to quit, not my place. I refused, i made my choice. The man is named Krovache, he has a child of his own i believe, maybe a bit older than you, he is very nice and i hope you will be nice like him too when you grow up. Krovache was nicer then, he gave me an armor usually reserved for Privates, but i believe he wishes to keep me safer, perhaps because I'm a woman.

Noica is a thought woman, worst than your aunt. The male guards speak in her back because she is manly, i understand she has to be harder and tougher than them, to survive.  I suppose i will have to grow a thicker hide myself. First I have to train under her, she will teach me.

There are things i will never tell you of this life for you do not need to hear them.
Your mother that loves you.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
Letter to my child

This third letter nearly never came to be. Was I lucky, Was i blessed is hard to tell, rebels now have witches in their ranks while we have none. How can we fight against what we do not understand, i have seen balls of fire lay off hoards of neuri and now a man turn invisible and struck me unconscious. When i awoke, i was tied to barrels of black powder and taunted mercilessly by those Gundar dogs. I thought i was to die and all I could think was of you.

Hours went by, alone in the dark with only my thoughts. I could hear rats crawling all over the place. I tried to break my bonds but they had me good. Morning came and went, i could hear the muffled sounds of the city. I yelled but none answered, i yelled till my throat was parched. I was thirsty and the ropes cut my wrists. It was hell but it didn't last as long as eternal damnation would. When night came around again, the other guards found me. A trap, it was all a trap to explode us all. Flaming arrows came flying in to explode the powder. As the recruit helped me out, i dragged him weakly. The shooter was quickly taken down. FOR GUNDARAK he yelled.

Now here i am, writing a letter and a report of my dread luck. I'll be avoiding Krovache for the next few days, i'm sure he'll want to see me quit again, kidnapped twice in two days is probably a new record. But i'm not quitting, not now. The money i've been sending your aunt is a blessing on her and her husband. I will come see you this week-end, i bought new clothes for you. When you read these letters in the years to come, will you even remember this part of your life? It breaks my heart to have you far from my arms but you are the whole reason why i do this. If you were not there i do not know where i would be, dead perhaps.

With all my love.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
The copy of an old report is tucked in within all the letters.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
Letter to my child

My dear Andrei,

Once more i pick up a quill to write to you, a letter you might never read. Today was one of the strangest so far, I have seen evil. Not evil in the sense of a wolf eating a sheep, or a neuri devouring a man. I speak of evil in it's true form. A man breathing, sheeting, inhaling, evil. Who am i to have face such thing, i am now a private of the Vallaki guard. The corporal Arcos promoted me. I suppose handling a houseful of people has it's advantage but my use of weapon is still limited, though i handle the halberd fairly well.

Evil, a man so horrible that his own body is marked by it. I had never seen anything like it, I refuse to call it *him* because it was not enough human for me to acknowledge. His voice is like an explosion, the rebel's black powder, as if my heart my about to explode. His mind is like a swamp, filled with flies and smog, filth and rot grows there.

But then there is goodness, I have seen it. In a man, all i can hope for is that you grow up to be like him. Strong and gentle. He is good to your mother, a friend if i ever had one. The outlanders are not all bad people, even if often we only see the worst side of them. When you are older, seek out outlander friends and workers, some of them -are- good people but we wary of them, be ware of all. I trust you to care for  your family, for your old mother.

Listen when I say this, one day  you will come to follow your guts, follow your instinct. Do so. Do not hesitate. I will be behind you all the way. Nothing in this life will be given to you easily. What I do this day, I am doing it for you, so tomorrow is easier. Isn't this what the Morninglordian believes in? At least i am actually DOING something for it to happen.  Sleep well, i will send a tin of cookies for you soon.

Mama

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
A small clump of black wolf fur is pinned to this letter

My dearest,

by now you must have gathered that your mother has well and lost her mind to the mist. You might remember the days when a carriage would pull in front of your aunt's house and i would come out and play with you for a day before I had to leave. Those were the best days of my life as a guard. At that time, the captain of the guard (his name was Dagris the Cruel but never speak it aloud) was driven mad by alcohol, he fired me in a fit for no reason that they ever gave me, along with a few others of my brothers-in-arms. We were advised to seek help in the person of LT Krovache, i mentioned him before i believe, who was in charge of the Barovian guard in the Village.

I wasn't thrilled at the idea but remembering the hard training and the usually no non-sense spirit he demonstrated, I decided to make the long hike to the Village. I would spare you the details but they are important. As you leave Vallaki by the eastern gate, you will cross the fields that you know already and head east along the old Svalich road. If you begin the trip at day, you will arrive at Midway around dinner time. Beware the wolf on the road, they can be easily avoided if you remain away from their packs but some of them hunt closer to the road, preying on all that is meat. Spend the night in Midway, it's a very comfortable inn. In the morning you will keep headed east along the road. In the pass that stands before the mountains you must beware, large creatures have made their dwellings in caves. I fought them on several occasion, avoid them if possible.

The mountain road is relatively safe from then on, watch out for crag cats and you should be safe. You will cross the majestic gates and soon you should be in sight of the castle up in the mountain. You must keep following the road to the east and south briefly across the bridge over the Tser falls.  Take a moment to gaze into the falls, you will find them amazing, the bridge is solid enough from my experience so worry not. You might spy a cave across the falls, i do not advice you head in there, something very wrong happened there. Head down into the valley and continue for another half a day of walk through the green hills all the way to the village, and there you are.

I will tell you more about the village in my next letter, morning has come and i must patrol the road.
With all my love.

Mama.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
My dearest,

Today, I met a man, he can't be older than twenty, yet he isn't a man anymore and before long he will be dead. That man is a Gundarakite. He turned himself in while Dragomir and I were training, he calls himself a rebel and carried a key to the citadel. When I saw him, my heart made a leap. I was angry, hurt, driven by rage over all the pain him and his people had been giving us for many years. All of our companions who died in the explosion of the citadel and left for dead in the alleys of Vallaki, but also..  I could feel sadness grow in my mother's heart. He was young, so young and yet wished for death in the worst ways. Instead of living his life in the best anyone could, he went on, driven by some rebellious wind that led him here. In a dank cell of the high security block and death will come as the Count that he hates so and stains the name of, comes to Vallaki to see him to the hanging knot.

A child, someone's child. Each nails of his wooden coffin pierces the heart of any mother, barovian or gundarakite alike and there will be mourning for that child who threw his life away. He's here to be a martyr, or for a last stand, no one yet decided and i fear letting my feelings known. Even to Barnabas whom I felt so close to in Barovia and now so far here in Vallaki. In the end, I'm only another soldier, even if at night i dream that he joins-... ((What am I thinking writing that))

So you remember this teddy bear i sent you with this letter? I made it myself between patrols. I hope he keeps you company through your day and protects you at night.

Mama Crina.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:25:08 AM »
My sweet child,

I know, no letter for a while in that period of time, perhaps you remember when your aunt was sick, i was home with all of you. It made me so happy, i left the garda for a few months so i may care for her and run the household. It was some of my happiest moments at that time. Being your mother once more, caring for you like my own. It renewed my heart and hope, my determination. When I returned to my duties at the Citadel, I was a calmer person, more focused.

A strange talk from this Barovian woman, no? At the citadel they call me woman, private, officer. I am a man, a sir, a ma'am. It makes little difference. The boys and I are partners. We fight, live, eat together. The army changes someone after all. I've come to realize that I listen a lot more, I am more attentive to details rather than worry over everything.

I want to talk to you about your father, I've come to realize that I have not written much about him. Until recently, I was still angry. Angry at him, for leaving us. And yes, no matter what others have told you, it was HIS fault. I told him to let the chickens die and to stay inside. He wouldn't listen. What a stupid death, for chickens. Your father was a stubborn man, tall and wispy. Not especially fat or large like some but he worked as hard as he could. Our land was small and poor for a while, that's why we turned to chickens, but he did the best he could with it. When I first met him, I was but a women to be, still a child. I was dead afraid of what would happen, but he acted like a man and it made me laugh and relax. He gave me a simple ring and i said yes. The ring is made of a pale gold mixed in with copper. It was and still is my most precious possession. It will be yours someday, when I'm done wearing it.

I always told myself I would die alone, without a loving man to my side. But now I feel that is different. I doubt I would remarry, but all these men I've developed a relationship with, friendship, brothers in arms. You could say I'm one of the boys, but I remain woman deep down. I cannot ignore the look of men, the beat in my heart. But recently, I feel this way.. maybe I'm just too lonely. I miss you Andrei..

mama.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:12:42 PM by Nefensis »

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
A dried up rose rests in the envelope of this letter

Dear Andrei,

I don't know what the future holds anymore. Where will I be when you read these letters? By your side laughing at my younger self, or dead in an unmarked grave. I know nothing of the future. We've come so close to death, brushing against the robes of the reaper as it were. Knives and poison, monsters and witches, who am I but a barovian widow. No, I lie to myself.

I can feel the muscles roll under my skin, I fight neuri when i come back too late or too early from patrols. That is the truth my son, but there is something else. Maybe on this day that you read a letter there is a man by your side, one that loves and cherishes you like his son. Maybe not. I wanted to mention it, because as much as I try and not believe it myself, I've began to care for someone. It's been four years now since your father has left us and the truth is, I am lonely, I feel so alone. Even the boys whom I consider some of them my children, don't feel that craving for human contact.

I don't want to give you too many details on our relationship, no one wants to hear about their mother's love life anyway. But know that at this point in time, your mother was loved, she was not alone. If tomorrow I die, I will be missed, but never forgotten.

Your mother who loves you ever so much