Author Topic: Suggestion: Spawns  (Read 5503 times)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Suggestion: Spawns
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
Hey there.  I noticed that there are a lot of area's that feel rather empty.  Area's such as the southern forest and other road way areas.  Given the setting, I was wondering...   Why not make random spawns in those empty spawnless area's?   Not mobs or hordes of them, but maybe a werewolf or two that roam the southern forest, for example.  I dunno, but IMO it would be nice to see more spawns in the area's that are empty but well traveled.  The more potential things that can kill my character around every bend, the more Ravenloft feels like Ravenloft.
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Suggestion: Spawns
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »
They just had an issue with the werewolf Armada recently.  I for one would like to see more dangerous wildlife.  Bring on the Forest Wolves and such.  Bandits and Criminals that don't turn into Giant Were Rats would be nice to.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »
Months ago, there used to be regular wolf spawns and some worgs spawning in the southern woods (area with the road, not talking about the deeper section). That was nice. I remember seeing bears too in the day. Angry bears.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
Well there is alot of unused caves as well. i would like to see the caves set up to either be a good hide out for either Mpc kind of doll it up or put spawns in them.. Personelly i would like to see the first part.. would make for good rp places... for even pc bandits

failed.bard

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
The southern forest will spawn all the way up to deep forest wolves if it was somehow untouched for a week or two in game.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »
The southern forest will spawn all the way up to deep forest wolves if it was somehow untouched for a week or two in game.

That almost never happens, since people end up running into the wolves when they head to Degannwy or Gilos.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »

That almost never happens, since people end up running into the wolves when they head to Degannwy or Gilos.

Sounds like the rate of spawn could be adjusted there.  Always feels wrong that the woods in barovia at night are safer then the main street of the town.  Especially considering that's one of the biggest things tossed out at people, the Woods are dangerous!

Need to have some sorcerer Bandits out there to that only spawn when some caster cruises by in his improved invisible hasted stone skinned troll aurafied form ......and just blast the guy with disjunction, then spawn 5 more bandits with sticks to beat the stuffing out of them.  Feel the pain, spread the love.   :lol:

~Rex   :twisted:

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
As stated,

Add minispawns, that wander through waypoints (preferably randomized,) so they roam through. Make their appearances random, not looks, but how often they spawn. Make it so.. well.. blah. I can go into a huge discourse on how exactly I want it, but I won't.

SOMETHING risky in the woods, that doesn't feel like a farming zone, would make it all the more better.

And scarier.  :twisted:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
As stated,

Add minispawns, that wander through waypoints (preferably randomized,) so they roam through. Make their appearances random, not looks, but how often they spawn. Make it so.. well.. blah. I can go into a huge discourse on how exactly I want it, but I won't.

SOMETHING risky in the woods, that doesn't feel like a farming zone, would make it all the more better.

And scarier.  :twisted:

Well.  Get to it Monster PC's.

~Rex

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »
[goes all Passive Aggressive on Rex]

Don't start with me! :P

I have been active, but those zones, monstrous patrol or not, feel too nice nice and are too sanctuary from NPC like.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
Some random "Highwaymen" spawns would be nice.  If they could appear at random on the roadway's and attack adventurers that would be wicked cool.  As mentioned, highwaymen and bandits that are just that instead of a shapeshifter would be great.  Not everything has to be a monsterous mythical creature from hell.  Sometime's simple bandits or murauders are just as fun :D

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:11:42 AM »
Some random "Highwaymen" spawns would be nice.  If they could appear at random on the roadway's and attack adventurers that would be wicked cool.  As mentioned, highwaymen and bandits that are just that instead of a shapeshifter would be great.  Not everything has to be a monsterous mythical creature from hell.  Sometime's simple bandits or murauders are just as fun :D

That, among many of the other things suggested here, is already in the plans and pending implementation. Just a matter of finding the time.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 03:21:34 AM »
Thats good to hear man.  Cant wait to see it :D

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
Do we need bloody spawns around every damn corner!? Isn't it enough that anywhere you go you can get ripped apiece by vampires and werewolfs? Like it should be by night? But on day?

And bandits...Where are they hiding? How do they escape the legions of night?

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »
The bandit caves that run under the road?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »
The bandit caves every carrion crawling....malicious....night creature live in under the day?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure they live in that City.  The one with all the empty houses and such.  Right now, we have this classification of Monsters.  1.  Rat, up to an including were rat.  2.  emaciated Wolf.  Up to an including werewolf.  3. Bug.  Beetle or Spider.  4. WIMPY undead.  Skeleton to Vampire Spawn  5.  Supremely obnoxious over powered Undead (Vampire Warrior, Elite Vampire.  6. Things only Casters can fight.

Seems a lot of space in the middle can be filled in for variety on the menu.  So should be cool when the things like real bandits get implemented.  Would be cooler yet, if said bandits don't kill you, just knock you out and take all your stuff leaving you beaten and naked on the side of the road, and your loot added to their pile.  Always liked that set up when the monster beats you, it loots you.  Played in a few places that had that.  Worked well even GOBLINS were respected because of it.

~Rex

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »
I dont see where you fit in bandits between 1: Barovians in all forms hating everyone, 2: Gundarakite Rebells hating everyone, 3: Vroloks in their castels (Von Zeklos so on so on) 4: Legions of the Night (rest of all those weird creatures, 5; Mad Animals, 6: Angry outlanders 7: Witches and similar, lone walking things and other forms of monsters, 8: Cultists of any shape.

Bandits fit in that?

I say bandits would not be fun at all, its just hacking...no talking. I want talk, not just "WE WILL ROB YOU!" and they go rolling their attack rolls and iniative.

And you forgot Ogres Rex and the mad nymph.  ;)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »
I dont see where you fit in bandits between 1: Barovians in all forms hating everyone, 2: Gundarakite Rebells hating everyone, 3: Vroloks in their castels (Von Zeklos so on so on) 4: Legions of the Night (rest of all those weird creatures, 5; Mad Animals, 6: Angry outlanders 7: Witches and similar, lone walking things and other forms of monsters, 8: Cultists of any shape.

Bandits fit in that?

I say bandits would not be fun at all, its just hacking...no talking. I want talk, not just "WE WILL ROB YOU!" and they go rolling their attack rolls and iniative.

And you forgot Ogres Rex and the mad nymph.  ;)

1.  But they don't DO anything about it.

2.  See 1.

3.  Got their own little player base.  See Undead PC threads for more gripes there.

4.  Where?

5.  Also, Where?

6.  Outlanders, Possibility there.  PC Driven though so not part of the static environment therefore, irrelevant for the POV of the thread.

7.  See 6. 

8.  See 6. 

Plenty of rooms for Bandits.  Ogres, much like NPC Lycanthropes, not worth the effort.  Mad Nymph.  Never seen one.  Some Human element would be a nice touch.  Not everything has to be, a Bug,an Undead, a Critter, or a Hips Spamming Ninja.

~Rex

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »
Bandits are......So Forgotten Realms Faerunite.

1. I am plent sure some do something

2: See 1

3: Well I am sure they feed on something

4: You never seen Neuri and other things?

5: Mad animals? Take any wolf or the svamps for example

6: Well....If the PC outlanders drive out the bandits for a million times in the same place..they sure be gone! Vampires and Weremonsters are enemies to of these little bandits. What they gonna loot anyway? Poor Barovian farmers? The Monster filled crypts? They gonna be like evil villian advneturers? :P

7: Well....they go around bit here and there

8: They go around everywhere too

Ogres would smack the bandits anyday since they are bigger and stronger! "look a fancy cave...lets take it"

And there is a Mad Nymph.

I just say bandits are to bland and dull for Ravenloft...why not like..Githzerai expeditionary pack gone lost in the planes...or tribe of gnolls or zealot Dhaerow...

I guess bandits fine but it be low levels then huh?  :)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 08:54:50 AM »
There's a mad nymph?  How did I miss that one?   :?
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »
You missed the Nymph? :O I am not telling! :P

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
There is plenty of room for Bandits.  Plenty of room for a Human factor anything.  Going to take a walk through a few areas tonight and Saturday-ish or so, I'll post an Area, and what would make an interesting encounter there.

~Rex

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
Budly,  Ravenloft has a lot more in common with Faerun than you make it out to, the people in Barovia and other domains run the gamut from fearful commoners to religious zealots, to thieving bandits and everything in between. 

I would like to see some more shadow fey, and other corrupted fey beings. There are even some that are like undead in appearance, and can be mistaken as such and clerics attempt to turn them but of course it has no effect. I always like the idea of nature loving creature being corrupted by the land.
    Also, I would like to see monsters that have a gaze attack. Those types of monsters can scare any class/level combo.
I realize that some monster types need a custom model and that is a lot of work....just my 2 fang. :)
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
Budly,  Ravenloft has a lot more in common with Faerun than you make it out to, the people in Barovia and other domains run the gamut from fearful commoners to religious zealots, to thieving bandits and everything in between. 

I would like to see some more shadow fey, and other corrupted fey beings. There are even some that are like undead in appearance, and can be mistaken as such and clerics attempt to turn them but of course it has no effect. I always like the idea of nature loving creature being corrupted by the land.
    Also, I would like to see monsters that have a gaze attack. Those types of monsters can scare any class/level combo.
I realize that some monster types need a custom model and that is a lot of work....just my 2 fang. :)

Only Monster that really scares people around here, are the Rust Monsters (Though I think a Rust Mimic would be nifty).

I DO like the idea of some more shadow fey.  Mostly though, I'm tired of Spiders.  The Monster Mix is basically, Really Fast hasted Lag inducing, resource draining monsters that give no XP (shifters), Undead, half of which you need a +2 or better weapon to hit (Give me, STRAHD undead), or Hips Spammer Stealth uber Ninjas.  Or a Bug.  Or a combination of the four.  It just seems lately, if a Fighter can fight it, it's worth no XP, or takes no Crit, Or has an unhittable AC, or has Poison with a DC so high you'll never save against it.

It would be nice I think to see some of the stuff in the middle.

~Rex