You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Noblemen gossips  (Read 2453 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Noblemen gossips
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
Is this really something people would be gossiping about? Seems a bit weird to me that the Verzi is known to common folk and even less who's involved in it, some other gossips are a bit outdated as well and could be replaced by some up to date news like the opening of the Nymph or the rebels, even some murmurs about Jerovich.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Noblemen gossips
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:10:02 PM »
[kills]

[nobleman dead]

fulkren

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
Yeah, found that strange too. And would they not speak Balok? Seems strange that they converse in common. I can see merchants speaking common but the residents would have no desire to learn the outlanders tongue i would think. Barovia is a foreign land to outlanders and difficulty in conversing with the locals would be part of that.

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
Lavinia only speaks balok lol... Gah it is tough alot of the time... but always fun to draw caveman stick figures in the dirt lol

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »
There's no reasons to not learn the common trading tongue, merchants for example have to deal with merchants from across the core and outlanders, if they want to do business they would have to  go the extra mile  8)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 01:57:32 AM »
besides, it's not as if we're going to write all their dialogue in Romanian :roll:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 03:41:46 AM »
besides, it's not as if we're going to write all their dialogue in Romanian :roll:

Using [Balok] at the beginning of each of their dialogues was what i was thinking  ;)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »

I think we had discussed that point before and agreed that it would be too much of a real pain, OOCly, for people if NPC's just spoke balok. Would be ridiculous really.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
Returning back to the original post, would it be possible for that dialogue to be changed for something else other than gossip that Nadia might have Verzi connections? There were also other dialogues the nobles say that are outdated as well.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »

I think we had discussed that point before and agreed that it would be too much of a real pain, OOCly, for people if NPC's just spoke balok. Would be ridiculous really.

uh, who said all npcs? i said the nobles and that's what this topic is about. Not the common nps. JUST THE NOBLES.  please read posts and thread titles before responding, thanks.

Seem ridiculous to me the nobles would speak common.They may know how to speak common but i think it would be looked down on by the theirs peers if they did.  Only reason i mention it is because if they are being changed anyways, it would not be any extra work to make them behave more upper class rather then regular Vallaki citizens.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
Badbelly that's pretty uncalled for and stay on topic. Ill go around and take screenshots of gossips later, most city npcs could use a bit of freshening up.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »
 :? I thought the topic was nobles gossip? meh, whatever.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »

uh, who said all npcs? i said the nobles and that's what this topic is about. Not the common nps. JUST THE NOBLES.  please read posts and thread titles before responding, thanks.

Seem ridiculous to me the nobles would speak common.They may know how to speak common but i think it would be looked down on by the theirs peers if they did.  Only reason i mention it is because if they are being changed anyways, it would not be any extra work to make them behave more upper class rather then regular Vallaki citizens.

Nobles, more than any other NPC's would know how to speak more than one language. It'd make more sense for nobles to speak common than uneducated peasants. And the consensus was that NPC's would use common when talking to PC's. There are actually two schools of thought when it comes to languages in Ravenloft, the first one claims that characters who enter Ravenloft learn the language of the place they are brought in instantly, somewhat magically, the work of the Dark Powers. The other one is the opposite, people don't understand anything which is good for the feeling of isolation, but tends to make games a lot more painful for the players.

We more or less combined the two by having NPC's speak a common tongue that is understood by all plus their native language. It wouldn't be consistant if some NPC's spoke balok and others spoke common, so all NPC's speak common. Same thing in Dementlieu and in the other new domains.