You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Summoning spells - Change suggestions  (Read 1316 times)

failed.bard

Summoning spells - Change suggestions
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »
  Maria's up to level 12 now, serving as a buff-a-matic in groups, and using summons to kill for her when she solos, or travels with only other casters, and she's cast many monster summonings and animate deads along the way.

So, now that I've said that part, on to the actual topic, durations of the summoning spells, and possible other changes.

Monster Summoning I - Duration should be 1 hour, plus 1 hour per level.  This spell is only used for actual fighting at low levels.  At higher levels it's used as a distraction or for springing traps, so duration is almost irrelevent.  As for it summoning a Dire Badger, I can't remember ever seeing one in the setting.  A normal badger or wolverine would be more appropriate.

Monster Summoning II - Duration should be 1 hour, plus 1 turn per level.  Maria dropped this spell, because it's the most useless of the summons.  Most times it was either dead or unsummoned by the time it finished becoming enraged.  The only reason I don't have this spell at an hour plus another per, is that animal domain priests summon dire wolves off this spell, and that would be far too long a duration to have it.  As for monster type, a razorback would be more appropriate setting wise.

The durations for MS III and up are fine.  If MS VI could be renamed to "Massive Dire Crag Cat", a bleached version of the normal Dire Tiger, it would be more fitting.

I haven't had a chance to use the level 7 and up summon spells here, but from what I've seen of them they all last long enough to kill what needs killing.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
Re: Summoning spells - Change suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 03:20:20 AM »
good idea! I would actually put lvl III summon in the same line as lvl II summon, but the rest is really good. And from what i've seen those lvl VII-IX summons are only weaker from a Balor (elementals are just plain pure ass kicking power that sweaps away anything on their way what doesn't use spells or isn't insanely strong)

failed.bard

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »
Dire wolf is /way/ too powerful for long duration summons.  Stick a stoneskin on it and watch it rip weres to shreds.  Maria farmed Morhgs with her dire wolf until she got animate dead, so it really does need to be short duration.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:29:28 AM »
Dire wolf is /way/ too powerful for long duration summons.  Stick a stoneskin on it and watch it rip weres to shreds.  Maria farmed Morhgs with her dire wolf until she got animate dead, so it really does need to be short duration.

really?  cause mine was ripped to shreds in the sewers by a few wererats :D true that it didin't have stoneskin on it. but i hardly see it as an OP summon. But if you checked that, then i have to believe you ;)