Author Topic: Area - Drain allowing free access  (Read 2340 times)

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
Area - Drain allowing free access
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »
Normal very low OR PCs, like elves, humans... are now getting into the Drain. If this was intentional, my bad... but it's supposed to be a den of outcasts and freaks... not a socialite risque tavern... or something. Anyway, apparently the Door with Gol was unlocked, could be something intentional, but some shedded light would be great.

Thanks!

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Area - Drain allowing free access
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Its not just a place for freaks anymore, its a place of high Outcast people. People that got a High OR, even a hin with Pink hair can go in there, given his OR is high enough. The door script detects it and Gold nods, opening the door.

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »
Found out that it was also that Pcs with keys aren't locking it behind them, and normal OR people were getting in.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:45:05 AM »
Found out that it was also that Pcs with keys aren't locking it behind them, and normal OR people were getting in.

Yeah, probably have to remove the possibility of using a key thing - not needed anyway.

Anyway, the Drain is undergoing some changes, but it's still intended to become a place for shady people. We just want to emphasize that more by roleplay and the clientèle than a hard coded enforcement. It's to be expected though that in the beginning, a more broad array of characters will go there to just visit the place, but that should settle down soon enough. On longer terms, vengeful do-good and crusading zealots along with other unfit people will quickly see themselves banned from the place if they frequent it. And the normal PvP and ignoring-NPCs rules apply there still.

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
If a do-gooder mage PC or whatever starts picking fights with the freaks,

I'll just use an example, sorry Puckwolf.

Nara'ia walked in last night, and needless to say Jeffron had the pants scared off of him.  If she started a fight in the no man's land of the Drain, who would the NPCs side with?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
If a do-gooder mage PC or whatever starts picking fights with the freaks,

I'll just use an example, sorry Puckwolf.

Nara'ia walked in last night, and needless to say Jeffron had the pants scared off of him.  If she started a fight in the no man's land of the Drain, who would the NPCs side with?

Likely the one they feel the most in common with. Actual PvPing in front of NPCs like this falls under the ignoring NPCs rule too, at least to the extend that they are expected to intervene.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »
Eh. I was kinda hoping the NPCs at the Drain would be the sort who'd basically stand around and watch people kill each other, rather than always intervene. Sorta takes away from the feeling of violence if people are always worried about attacking each other for fear of a bunch of NPCs. Then it's really no different than the surface, where people are constantly worried about the guard. I'd rather it just be like the Cantina, where Solo can blow the hell out of someone across the table from him, and no one else really gives a damned. :-P

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »
I suppose you could set the AI up to "type" but if we are going to go this melting pot route, then the Mos Eisley "creature" cantina model is a good one to follow.

Besides, MOST, of the NPC's of the Drain that actually have a Name (Nym for example), are so heinously Overpowered, Out of Balance, and Obscene that you wouldn't want them interfering in an altercation anyway.  Bear in mind the Over the top nature of most of the NPC's of POTM, is even more exaggerated in the Drain.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:49:56 AM »
A question please:  Is the Drain now open for exploring to all chars who just want to look around? 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
A question please:  Is the Drain now open for exploring to all chars who just want to look around? 

Doubt it.  I think they are still trying to Exclude a few folk BUT, it's a Hell of a lot easier to get into now.  Also I am sure that there are a few folk that would get you in for a price.

~Rex

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
I'm confused as to why a faction pc leaving doors open wouldn't be considered something ic and to be rp'd out.  A few times Jinx was lurky around Citadel and the pcs there were quite meticulous about keeping the doors locked, if those pcs failed to do so and she followed them into normally locked areas, I would have considered that exactly what she was trying to accomplish icly at the time.  If there were repercussions to her being in an area she didn't belong, I'd have expected them to play out icly.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
The Drain will be as of next update open to most people, however, as Soren pointed out, there are NPCs there and people going there solely to harass freaks or to hunt them would be ignoring NPC's which is a rule breach here. Keep that in mind when roleplaying in the Drain.

Also, as with everything else, actions have consequences. Someone known to work with the guards going there may very well never come out alive, same for an outlander causing trouble.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
I'm confused as to why a faction pc leaving doors open wouldn't be considered something ic and to be rp'd out.  A few times Jinx was lurky around Citadel and the pcs there were quite meticulous about keeping the doors locked, if those pcs failed to do so and she followed them into normally locked areas, I would have considered that exactly what she was trying to accomplish icly at the time.  If there were repercussions to her being in an area she didn't belong, I'd have expected them to play out icly.

I've always played it as an IC thing yet have always gotten crucified for doing so.  *shrugs*  Honestly, I'd leave it as an IC thing.

~Rex