You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Lich Tower Appearance  (Read 4550 times)

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
New Lich Tower Appearance
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »
While the new appearance (the Placeable tower) looks great, IN THEORY, it allows you to walk right through it, which is silly.

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: New Lich Tower Appearance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »
I agree. And, the entrance to the tower is kind of annoying. It doesn't have an actual door, it's a slot transition and it's way before the door, so a lot of times it's hard to find.

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
Another thing I noted was the removal of the ENTIRE run with the marilith, Beholder, and Lolth.. unless it's now a secondary area and I missed it

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:54:02 AM »
I also miss the last (highest) level of the Lich Tower as it was before. The new just seems not enjoyable at all to me. If possible I would greatly vote to bring the old peak level back. You might perhaps save some space on the lower levels, but the highest level was just really enjoyable. Thanks! :)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
In agreement here for the most part. The addition of the zombie golemss is nice, and the removal of the random teleports was cool too (since, due to lag, you often couldn't hit or find them) but I miss the mini-bosses. It was fun to go look at all the monsters in their cages. And, the XP was good too. Almost no XP there now.

Marilith was a cool boss. Lots of XP. Almost more dangerous than the lich with her divine light spamming.

The beholder sucked a lot. He should probably be altered because he was just too easy. Maybe something else could be put in his place.

The lightning elemental... eh, never cared for it. Maybe substituting another creature would be good. Same with the spiders.

Here's something I'd really like to see... an undead bride. ;) You get to his bedroom now, and there are just some crates. No teleport trap in the chest like before, but I think it would be cool to have some sort of undead woman mini-boss hanging out by the bedroom... give it that Elvira feel. ;)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:41:56 PM »
I miss the maze aspect and teleport traps.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 03:19:26 PM »
When I filled out that questionnaire about various 'dungeon' areas I remember making a point of saying the lower level of the lich tower was one of the best on the server imo in terms of atmosphere and the whole teleporting 'feature'.  Sorry to hear it's no longer there.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
I haven't been to the new and improved tower but sounds like most of it was removed, i recall the first ever run through it and it was pretty epic. I would rather see a new maze coming up every now and then, then completely removing it.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:54:29 PM »
Alright, just came back from an investigation of the .. lair.

Most boring dungeon ever. Please bring back the old one and crank up the difficulty. Pretty please?  O.O

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
you need abit more whimpering puppy in that look

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 12:23:58 AM »
Ive not idea how to handle dm or devs anymore so i figure offerings of pot brownies and glog should do.

Make the lich lair not so boring.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
Since the random teleports were sometimes impossible to trip due to lag, perhaps an alternative would be to have the teleports visible as the circles/shafts of light, as they are earlier in the tower. But, upon every reset of the tower, you could have the place each teleport takes you to change. That way, people who were still trying to navigate around to get to the bosses or the chests would have to be a bit more on their toes.

Or, could just forget the teleports all together and have a different setup. *shrug*

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »
I got to go with the general public here.  The new lich tower, though it looks great is a drag.  I remember when going to the lich tower meant preparing for death and packing a small army because the spawns were either insain, or the mini-bosses were prep to F*** you up!  Ah, those were the days!  Its simply too easy.  Let me lay it out like this...

Level 10 Alexander can solo the new tower at its highest spawn level.  That's pathetic.
Level 18 Antias could PWN THE EVERLOVING HELL out of Alexander and Antias fought for his life every time he was in the old tower even when the spawns were at a low level.  If the teleportation was too much, why not just use DOORS?

Either way, can we PLEASE either get the Difficulty of the new tower cranked up about 100% or the Old layout back.

I miss the Maroleth and Lolth and the Beholder and the Elemental.  I miss the chests that sucked you inside and dumped you off somewhere else.

I miss the Bad ASS spawns that flooded the hallways and captured you inside of rooms with electrified doors that needed a certain combination of levers to be pulled to escape....

The new tower lacks all of that and more.  It went from being the most interesting and bad ass dungeon on the server to well....  Anyone want to go kill some minks?  Better xp and more intrigue hunting minks these days then exploring a tower owned by an age old drow lich....   *walks off shaking his head with a tear running down his eye.* 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
I to have to agree that the new lich tower have taken a few good steps backwards, sure it looks great inside it but that's about it.
Still i cant say i miss them teleportation traps as they was just a mess if there was just a little lag on the server.
I would also have that feeling ya actually working ya self upwards in the tower...as it is actually a tower.

failed.bard

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »
Maybe it was because Macabre was there, but the last time I was in there with Maria the Marileth was in one of the siderooms (not the bedroom, that would have been funny though), and the image was in the room with Elketh.  That's also the last place Maria got killed that wasn't due to lag or creatures camping a transition.
  Assuming they do still spawn at the high end, it's fine how it is.  Like most dungeons, it needs time to grow.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 03:31:03 AM »
Was just my spawn. I think there is no additional spawn on high-end - sadly.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 03:31:22 AM »
I think that's because Macabre was there. Seen it at max-max, and those things weren't in there.

failed.bard

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:40 AM »
That's too bad, then.  The Image and Elketh together were a massive challenge.  More than the three level 12ish characters could manage, really.

Max spawn needs an angry Marileth chained up in the bedroom, and the dual threat in the final room to make it challenging, plus it would keep a little of the feeling of the old tower that way.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:05 AM »
We pulled the labyrinth because the implementation had become too predictable. When I get some more time at my hands, I'll likely re-implement one that's more fancy and truly random...  :twisted:

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »
We pulled the labyrinth because the implementation had become too predictable. When I get some more time at my hands, I'll likely re-implement one that's more fancy and truly random...  :twisted:

that would be really cool, i recall our first times there, they were deadly, even for a bunch of tailors.  8)

That damn elf

• Undead Master
  • n00b
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 02:59:45 AM »
I want to toss a bag of kittens into a lake every time I walk into the new lich tower...

((Thanks for the sigi norture! <3))
~Dimitri' - Ex-Vardo, Clockwork Goose Partner
~Faxs'to - Survivor of year 749

boompowclash

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:12 AM »
I have to say I like the revised Lich Tower.   I only think Elketh should be a little closer to the door entering the main room, it seemed like I had to run into his sanctum before he knew I was there.

Moreso, I think if he started out buffed (globe of invulernability? etc), it would help represent how he watches a persons progress through the orbs in the tower, so he'd be prepared for their arrival.  Some floor traps might also help with that, (and add a rogue requirement) since this is a spell caster who might sooner dimension door or teleport rather than use his own hallways.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »
Try being constructive about it people, saying "It's ugly I hate it!!" won't cut it, it's just insulting to the one remaking it.

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
Well again i just say it would be cool if there was some sort of labyrinth and that you get the feeling you actually working your self upwards in the tower as it actually is a tower :D

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »
On a server I played on before, there was a "Tower of Doom".  The stairs in the tower only went down...