Author Topic: Spells - Polymorph self changes  (Read 13629 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Spells - Polymorph self changes
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 01:06:22 PM »
We plan to change it to the 3.5 DnD stats, as Rex posted it. It's a matter of development resources - but it's coming :)

mayvind

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
We plan to change it to the 3.5 DnD stats, as Rex posted it. It's a matter of development resources - but it's coming :)

Cool, at last Rex getting what he wanted ! ....... i just hope not everything he wanted !  :lol:

P.S, Do we get to target PC and force them to polymorph too ?? that would be cool !!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:12:17 PM by mayvind »

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »
My personal experience since the changes has been that rp suffers but the 'power gaming' aspect hasn't been affected very much.  As bad_bud pointed out, once the warding sheaths wore off, some mages would simply unshift, rebuff then shift back again.  This technique was unaffected by the new duration of polymorph as the sheaths now wear off at the same time as the polymorph spell.

Role play however seems to have been drastically compromised since the new spell duration leaves little, if any, time to type a single emote, let alone rp an actual 'encounter'.  I miss the opportunities for role play lost with this change.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
My personal experience since the changes has been that rp suffers but the 'power gaming' aspect hasn't been affected very much.  As bad_bud pointed out, once the warding sheaths wore off, some mages would simply unshift, rebuff then shift back again.  This technique was unaffected by the new duration of polymorph as the sheaths now wear off at the same time as the polymorph spell.

Role play however seems to have been drastically compromised since the new spell duration leaves little, if any, time to type a single emote, let alone rp an actual 'encounter'.  I miss the opportunities for role play lost with this change.

And thus why:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

And thus why:

3.5  book format Polymorph and Shape Change for Real?  I'm all for it.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »

And thus why:

3.5  book format Polymorph and Shape Change for Real?  I'm all for it.

~Rex

If that's true (for both) I am buying a crate of bear and will send it to whomever approoved that. 8)

mayvind

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
Well not exactly like in the book since i dont think they will code it that you can change to any form you can think off, ... that kinda too much work.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
Well not exactly like in the book since i dont think they will code it that you can change to any form you can think off, ... that kinda too much work.

So long as it has Book Durations, Book Limitations, Book Advantages, like I pointed out in previous posts in this thread I will be happy and well, I live in America unfortunently I don't have any good beer to send anyone a case of though the Sam Adams Winter Lager is not to bad.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

mayvind

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
 :bump:

Any ETA on this one?, because shapeshift still end too fast :)

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
I would no longer use it to roleplay, and have not, but it's just fine for healing and carrying. Soon after this was implimented there was talk of "the real change" coming in the form of a 3.0 rules modification, but in the meantime spellcasters get a nerfed spell for no reason for months. I think this could really be handled in a better manner. It no longer makes sense.

tzaeru

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »
:bump:

Any ETA on this one?, because shapeshift still end too fast :)

Personally I would say that the power the Shapeshift-spell's forms and Tenser are so hard to match that they shouldn't have a duration longer than round / level.

Using nothing else but turn based buffs, Red Dragon gets AC 49 and average damage 22, with HP 400. When you also got the improved invisibility and Premonitions, the form's just powerful enough to make one unbeatable - only a top buffed cleric could beat that, or another same level mage with dispelling.

However, I also feel that the Polymorph Self forms, pixie and zombie for example, are actually fun to be used for RP and should have a longer duration, say turn / level.

This also doesn't much harm powergaming aspect since you're anyway using Ethereal Visage and Acid Sheath that run out by when the Polymoprh Self runs out currently.

So long as it has Book Durations, Book Limitations, Book Advantages, like I pointed out in previous posts in this thread I will be happy and well, I live in America unfortunently I don't have any good beer to send anyone a case of though the Sam Adams Winter Lager is not to bad.

~Rex

I'd be happy with Jim Beam. Just in case you wanna send..

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
"Using nothing else but turn based buffs, Red Dragon gets AC 49 and average damage 22, with HP 400. When you also got the improved invisibility and Premonitions, the form's just powerful enough to make one unbeatable - only a top buffed cleric could beat that, or another same level mage with dispelling."

Actually, funny enough, I was attacked by a mage in tenser the other day, and I  just stayed in human form and had high enough AC that in a short amount of time his tenser ran out. We were both stripped of buffs as well. I am pretty sure I could do that to any mage, and i know there's quite a few people with the same AC, clerics and fighters. Having low AC is never useful.