Author Topic: Spawns - Barovia Village Dungeons Slow Spawning  (Read 4753 times)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Spawns - Barovia Village Dungeons Slow Spawning
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
Ive pointed this out a few times, barovia village's hot spots like ivlis marsh, nymph lair and the mauloseum seem to take FOR-EVER to spawn.
Ive lurked around barovia for a fullday, ivlis marsh took roughly an hour to go up one spawn.
Also the Black Agnes only seems to spawn when the whole area is max spawn, the darklings out front always get killed by the werewolves stalking the area at night wich sets the spawn back instantly.
Seems that monsters killing each other sets the spawn back, sometimes significantly.
I spoke to JipK about it, he told me that all dungeons and monster hotspots are supposed to respawn every 3 hours ig.
I pointed it out to him that it isnt happening...
If anybody else has some examples of slow respawning, feel free to post.

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
Re: Spawns - Barovia Village Dungeons Slow Spawning
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Nah, didn't say ig, and I think I said one hour. But truth be told, I don't really know how long the respawning takes, and I think it varies per area, so I really was just guessing :P

Moving it to Suggestions & Feedback (OOC) - Systems, since it's not a bug.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:39:37 PM by JipK »

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »
respawning is fine, people spend too much time in freaking dungeons anyway. many times its like 40 players online, but then you cant find anyone to rp becouse they are somewhere dungeoning

besides somelaces drop way too good loot so its ok that those places respawn slow, otherwise people would farm them constantly
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:48:21 AM »
besides somelaces drop way too good loot

Never speak such blasphemies again.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »
A general observation.

Having been gone for a while, and then recently back, in the last week I've noticed it's retardedly hard to find a high spawn anywhere. They tend to stay very, very low, or they take an insane length to get to a decent size (we waited like, four days for the demonologists to hit the high spawn phase, and even then it wasn't maxed and people came in and chipped it before we could get everyone together to smack it.)

I've been hearing from different groups of people that everyone is farming the snot out of the dungeons even at low spawns, but having watched them for the last week, I think people are just getting tired of waiting for them to fill up because it seems to be taking a lot longer for them to grow. If they're having to wait four days for a spawn to get to a maxed level, it's going to be hit - repeatedly - in those four days. Before I took a break, they were growing decently enough and you could count on a high spawn somewhere every day. Now, it's a rather pathetic showing.

It would be nice if they were cranked up a bit. Waiting days for dungeons to get high, with all the new characters out there clawing for areas, is increasing frustrations.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
A general observation.

Having been gone for a while, and then recently back, in the last week I've noticed it's retardedly hard to find a high spawn anywhere. They tend to stay very, very low, or they take an insane length to get to a decent size (we waited like, four days for the demonologists to hit the high spawn phase, and even then it wasn't maxed and people came in and chipped it before we could get everyone together to smack it.)

I've been hearing from different groups of people that everyone is farming the snot out of the dungeons even at low spawns, but having watched them for the last week, I think people are just getting tired of waiting for them to fill up because it seems to be taking a lot longer for them to grow. If they're having to wait four days for a spawn to get to a maxed level, it's going to be hit - repeatedly - in those four days. Before I took a break, they were growing decently enough and you could count on a high spawn somewhere every day. Now, it's a rather pathetic showing.

It would be nice if they were cranked up a bit. Waiting days for dungeons to get high, with all the new characters out there clawing for areas, is increasing frustrations.

Actually, the last time demonologists was wiped out to my knowledge was 9 days ago, and it's a little over halfway back believe. Now, given the rewarding nature of the dungeon, I actually like the week wait, and getting a group together in anticipation of one big run. But that means if anyone messes with it, suddenly it's a two week wait, and it's really only available to the first party. It's a little frustrating, cause I love the place.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »
I've been watching the dungeons now for a couple of Months.  It's the Professional Grinders, more then anything else.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
You know, there might in fact be people that loot a lot, but I don't think that really amounts to much of an argument when there's still what some would consider a problem. From my own personal observation, most dungeons only get hit a handful of times in a 24 hour period, because they are only worth hitting after five to six hours of growing time. I know that Grim and I atleast, and some others, have a general understanding that it's a waste for everyone to hit a place when it's low or medium. We wait. There are of course exceptions, like when is going to log for 14 hours and you know by the time you get back someone else will have reaped the rewards, or when patience runs out. There are those that don't seem aware of this logic though, and also a high number of high levels dungeoning at the present time. The end result is days at a time when every 13 + dungeon on the module has nothing in it, and since I really have no idea who is managing to wipe them out that consistantly, there's nothing to be done about it.

Is the answer increasing spawn times? I'm not sure. We just got done with a period in the server in which things were extreme on the other end of the spectrum and too much was dropping. I'd given it a few weeks atleast and see if things take care of themselves naturally.

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »
I know that Grim and I atleast, and some others, have a general understanding that it's a waste for everyone to hit a place when it's low or medium. We wait.
Not everyone knows or follows this. Example: Vampire crypt. This dungeon is hit so frequently people think spawn at low medium spawn is high spawn. The good news is it's lots of groups going. Bad news is it's lots of differing groups going every few hours. It might be people are unaware of the differing dungeons available.

Is the answer increasing spawn times? I'm not sure. We just got done with a period in the server in which things were extreme on the other end of the spectrum and too much was dropping. I'd given it a few weeks atleast and see if things take care of themselves naturally.
I agree. Things will sort out.

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:00:04 AM »
Well rp more often and less adventuring and it might fix itself...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Adventuring, is as much a part of the ROLE people are PLAYING, as sitting around the tavern in Chat room Mode.  The Slow Spawns fix themselves, when the on a schedule log in rape the dungeon log out people, stop doing it.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
since when is adventuring not roleplaying?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »
Well most of the adventures are soloing for loot.. not much rping going on when you wait the time for it to respawn to hit it again and again... dont think thats rping just my opinion of course. So maybe adventuring was the wrong word perhaps spamming or soloing... not sure but you got the point.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 04:16:27 AM »
If you want to know where the loot and adventure is, go speak with Madam Eva.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »
Alright, to my limited knowledge, the last time the demonologists was cleared was the 15th. Two weeks ago. Unless someones diliberately keeping it down somehow, it seems that it gets up to just about maxed out with two greater demons, one greater monk, and enlightened demonologists, and then it drops back down to just strong stuff. Maybe a player is doing it, but we've been checking it daily for two weeks now and it's happened continuously.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 02:05:16 AM »
If you want to know where the loot and adventure is, go speak with Madam Eva.

Old gypsy got a new script? 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 06:21:58 AM »
Went from rp to checking dungeons all day yesterday, went from Ghakis to Baratak, from the village to the orphanage.
I didnt find one half descent spawn, apart from in the beetle cave and in the ML crypt but i wont take them from lower levels.
Im not sure if there's someone just walking from dungeon to dungeon constantly hitting every single little beastie he comes across.
I also noticed the Demonoligists are going up and down, for those/the person hitting it. Why bother if your just ruining it for players that will bother making a party and making a whole event out of destroying them?
I'll see what the future holds, i'll post my findings here so people can judge over it.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 08:18:15 AM »

Since when people stayed out adventuring like they where on the frontlines of a WW.

Do not put to much power into spawns...It is not life essential like food...or survival...to go bash in the door of some dungeon and raid it for the hundred times.... Booya the Barovians are angry! No wonder we raid their ancient crypts!

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »

Since when people stayed out adventuring like they where on the frontlines of a WW.

This is not something new.  This server has always had it's fair share of adventurers.  That has not changed.

What has changed is the number of players.  IMO, the dungeon spawn hasn't kept up with that. 

Do not put to much power into spawns...It is not life essential like food...or survival...to go bash in the door of some dungeon and raid it for the hundred times.... Booya the Barovians are angry! No wonder we raid their ancient crypts!

Other than the rules set out on the home page and Soren's post, there are no rules as to how to play this game.  Some players come for adventure and some players come here to RP.  Some like the constant thrill and some like the giant chatroom.

Different players have options when it comes to their time here.  One is not better than the other.  It is just different.  Those who come through the mists come from all walks of life.  Some were pacifists and some were warriors.  This mists didnt discrimnate. 

The point of all this is that adventuring is a legitimate part of the game and, in my experience, has led to some memorable RP.  There's nothing like a party adventuring with jokes and comments all the way. 

For some who's style of play leans more towards adventuring, spawn is an essential part of the game.  It may not be an essential part of everyone's game, but again, it is a legitimate part of the game. 

Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »
Well if you want to run around killing things more then roleplay on a roleplay server then you perhaps should go to a action server?

failed.bard

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 10:19:58 AM »
Well if you want to run around killing things more then roleplay on a roleplay server then you perhaps should go to a action server?

The suggestions and feedback thread is supposed to be for constructive feedback the DEVs can look through to help improve the server.  Attacking other people is not constructive in any way, and the thread has long since made its point.  Can this thread just get locked now?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
I attacked no one.

Scuse me then. Let us lock it down then.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »

The suggestions and feedback thread is supposed to be for constructive feedback the DEVs can look through to help improve the server.  Attacking other people is not constructive in any way, and the thread has long since made its point.  Can this thread just get locked now?

It has always amazed me how upset people get when you tell them they can play their game anyway they want (subject to the home page suggestions and Soren's rules) and to please extend that courtesy to others.   :?
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 11:00:07 AM »

Those sorts of comments can be inflamatory, and really don't help anyone.

Adventuring is part of the role playing experience at Potm.  Some obvioulsy adventure more than others, and those who frequent dungeons will have more feedback to offer on the spawn rates there.  

I know that when a character of mine does go on an adventure, hitting a dungeon, I'd prefer a good spawn to make it enjoyable.  If there is no decent challenge in the pvm, then it doesn't have the excitement that a good challenge affords.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

Those sorts of comments can be inflamatory, and really don't help anyone.

Adventuring is part of the role playing experience at Potm.  Some obvioulsy adventure more than others, and those who frequent dungeons will have more feedback to offer on the spawn rates there.  

I know that when a character of mine does go on an adventure, hitting a dungeon, I'd prefer a good spawn to make it enjoyable.  If there is no decent challenge in the pvm, then it doesn't have the excitement that a good challenge affords.

But I do not tell you NOT To adventure? I just say, why complain on spawns and loot when clearly the main thing is roleplay and evolving the roleplay/charachter so on, so on.

I myself, seen to many times. Events been ruined on other servers thanks to action oriented players who give little or no respect to roleplaying and diplomacy just cause they know they can beat up the monster infront of them.

I of course, do not mean to offend. I just simply state, that I Rather have plots and things where one feel scared and overpowered by a foe that hunts you or similar!  :)