You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Weapon - Forfarian Claymore - Sucks  (Read 1983 times)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Weapon - Forfarian Claymore - Sucks
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »
This weapon is so bad, I don't know why it exists.  For comparison, the average damage this thing puts out is 10, with an attack penalty of 3.  A person using power attack will put out 11 damage with an attack penalty of 5 with a regular greatsword, which is comparable, only the person using power attack doesn't lose 1 AC.  Due to the fact it adds two slashing damage, if someone were to use greater magic weapon (8) on a plain greatsword, it would become 13 damage.  If someone used it on this claymore, the damage would not change at all, it would only raise the attack bonus by two, making the 1 for 1 damage attack bonus penalty tradeoff actually better for someone using a plain greatsword, and those again, do not get an AC penalty.

Further, this thing weighs 25.  The only character I imagine would get any use out of this weapon would be someone in the level range of 2 - 6, but even then, probably not.  However, if a character in that range actually DID want to use this horrid weapon, they would soon realize that it is cheaper to buy a steel greatsword from a smith (a sword that does only 1 less damage on average than this one, has no AC penalty, and weighs a hell of a lot less), and for only 500 coins more they could actually buy a silver-gilded steel greatsword.  I found this in the scrag cave.

Summary: Terrible weapon that only a low level would use, but low levels cannot acquire it because it either costs too much or its worth causes it to only be found in places a low level person should never go to.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
Re: Weapon - Forfarian Claymore - Sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:53:51 AM »
I saw that at Murnu's and stared at it for a while trying to make it look like it's worth the 2500 he was asking for it.
Critical Failure.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

- PoXx -

• New to the Mists
  • Yo, yo.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »
Yeah, that weapon definately sucks. I say, change it.

Has not the slightest purpose.. Except for maybe a RP item, but even then. Even then, it sucks.

boompowclash

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »
If I could guess, I'd wager this blade was put in the Item Drops before the advent of better weapons through the CXP crafting system.

I like the concept of a Forfarian Claymore - it just needs some tinkering to make it desirable, again after the new crafting.  Based on the description it sounds like a bit more bludgeoning damage could be added, or something of that nature.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »
I think it might be a recent addition.  It was only recently that I started seeing the Forfarian weapons: Halberd, Claymore, etc.

But hell, like I said, you're better off with a regular greatsword than with this.

boompowclash

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »
If it is a recent addition...maybe what it means is that Forfarian weaponry IS lacking and there are better things out there? lol...

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 01:28:23 AM »
It's not recent... just appearing now that loot has been scaled to items, not gold.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:22:45 AM »
Maybe lose the -3 to hit? -1AC is a big hit... or maybe just a -1 to hit with the AC hit. It does wiegh a lot more than a standard Greatsword too. Against the smith created version its a slight advantage as you are looking at +3-6 as opposed to the +1D6

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
Many of the cooler Descriptive items, are vastly over shadowed by the simple over achievement of the damage yields of the crafted Items.

If per say, the craftable weapons were scaled to +1, +2, or +3 damages, as opposed to a die adder, now those "in game" items with the die adder of blunt/slashing/piercing, or elemental damage types, become worth what the system would sell them for.

My Gripe with that sword, isn't the weight, or the -1 AC.  Those are good RP hooks.  The -3 AB, is more then a bit steep.  Also, it's Pure Iron.  Where's the bonus vs Outsiders and other critters affected by Iron?  That's something that can be addressed.  There just seems to be some possibilities there that are missing.

If it's -1 AC, and weighs 25 pounds, that's more then enough negatives.  Going for a -3 AB (something common to a lot of the forfarian weaponry), is counter productive in the land where a RAT, has more AC then an 8th level fighter in full plate.  There are far to many nifty items with great descriptions, basically just serving the purpose of "Selling to Murnu", because the scale of the craftable items is not in synch with the setting.  If a Steel Great Sword for example, were just +3 slashing, people would be all over this Forfarian version without even a peep.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »
If it were retro-ed OLD school crafted greatswords would become VERY marketable!!! VERY!!

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...