Author Topic: Balance - low level dungeons - feedback  (Read 3412 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Balance - low level dungeons - feedback
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:53:37 PM »
From my experience: the low lvl dungeons

Grimiska cave, lvl 2-3 max solo or party (i would suggest at least duo because of those pesky stunning arrows)

From what i understand the difficulty of the Morninglordian crypt was brought way down recently, classing the dungeon into difficulty lvl 2-4 (soloable for most i would summarize) For such a big zone i would rather see the second level be a tad more difficult (the mummies were great honestly) because the step from that to  the undercity is a HUGE drop, very painful for lost low levels. A semi hard buffer zone between the two zone was a great idea.

And the difficulty of the thoul cave was brought up with the addition of the warchief (with a wooping +12 ab) and the elite hobgoblins, which was discussed on another thread, didnt yield enough XP for the challenge, up to difficulty lvl 7-9 (Party, i wouldnt solo this)

Zeklos crypt, a party of lvl 2-5 can do it easily and fast, but i've soloed the place with my rogue quite a few times from lvl 2-5 with a crossbow (gotta love them long corridors)

Beetle cave, yield a lovely challenge for a party of lvl 4-6, good xp as well, perhaps the best balanced low level dungeon.

Gilos, the great equalizer, depending on the spawn, a party of lvl 5-10  (bard lvl 8 can solo btw), only allips (and up) and gilos yields good xp

Shadow forest, lvl 5-6 party (i wouldn't solo this unless i was a bard) at the lowest spawn, up to lvl 10 with greater shadow fiends, still yields good xp

The orphanage (soloable by a bard lvl 8 again), can be quite difficult, perhaps the hardest of all low level dungeon, hag bulls and wolves yields good xp up to lvl 6-10

I would reconsider the Morninglordian crypt and the Thoul cave, perhaps need a bit of tweaking but beside that it seems pretty good

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
Re: Balance - low level dungeons - feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
I really miss the mummies. Maybe put them in the burrial grounds or beyond would be great.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
Bring back the Mummies, Hands off Andrei's Thoul Cave.  Actually, Toss some more Barovian Undead in there.  Strahd Undead Rule. :twisted:

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
  • Death is stronger than all proud men
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »
The mummies are gone?

Why are all the mummies gone?

I agree with Nef re: the Morninglord Crypt.
Dramatis Personæ:

Thanks to emptyanima for the marvelous siggies!
Damiana Mavra | Erebeth Moravec | Sighildr Rødsävrd | Ravenna Varkath

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »
I must admit that the mummies were just easy xp for mages, i used to march down there prep'd with fire attacks only.
I'd usually wrap up the whole thing with enough to clear my way to the burial ground.
As the ML Crypt is one of the most frequent farmed dungeon's around, why not make the lower catacombs that bit more challenging.
The upper catacombs should remain accessable for low levels but also a challenge enough that you don't get solo'ers marchin around there slaughtering the whole dungeon.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
I must admit that the mummies were just easy xp for mages, i used to march down there prep'd with fire attacks only.
I'd usually wrap up the whole thing with enough to clear my way to the burial ground.
As the ML Crypt is one of the most frequent farmed dungeon's around, why not make the lower catacombs that bit more challenging.
The upper catacombs should remain accessable for low levels but also a challenge enough that you don't get solo'ers marchin around there slaughtering the whole dungeon.

Strahd Undead.  Problem solved.

~Rex

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:42:11 AM »
The fundamental problem with a dungeon scaling too much up as you descend into it is that higher levels will go for the bottom of it, draining the dungeon and generally disturbing the low level experience. I'd rather if the higher levels were attracted to other places so they don't run through the low level areas. The Ancient Burial grounds might be toned down as well, under same reasoning.

mayvind

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
The fundamental problem with a dungeon scaling too much up as you descend into it is that higher levels will go for the bottom of it, draining the dungeon and generally disturbing the low level experience. I'd rather if the higher levels were attracted to other places so they don't run through the low level areas. The Ancient Burial grounds might be toned down as well, under same reasoning.

You just ruined Yves plan !  :cry:

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »

Why not cut out the second level from the first with boulders and force higher levels to take the sewers or the *secret* entrance? I rather liked having a little dungeon crawl right under our feet. And it provided SOME challenge, right now there is no challenge down there, not one bit.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:31:10 AM »

Why not cut out the second level from the first with boulders and force higher levels to take the sewers or the *secret* entrance? I rather liked having a little dungeon crawl right under our feet. And it provided SOME challenge, right now there is no challenge down there, not one bit.

Because we lack low level areas... Collapsing the passage from lower levels to lower levels east might be an idea though.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
At least if we had that solution, high levels wouldn't blow through the easy stages of the crypt to get to the harder stages.

Truth

• Dark Lord
    • Myspace!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »
I'd like to get some ideas for some entirely new things to be honest
THE NATION THAT MAKES A GREAT DISTINCTION BETWEEN ITS SCHOLARS AND ITS WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS. -THUCYDIDES

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
I'd like to get some ideas for some entirely new things to be honest

I've got Books of those......

Because we lack low level areas... Collapsing the passage from lower levels to lower levels east might be an idea though.

The Answer to keeping the HMS Radu Class PC's from Smashing through the Lower level stuff on their way to their higher Level stuff is to provide them with alternate entrances to those Areas, Other then, the main Dungeon Route, that Only THEY could Find/Open/Survive the Guards.  These entrances/Routes could also be timed, so that they are not there All the Time, Or Even, Require a temporary Item to Access (Think, Hobbit, Setting Sun Keyhole thingie).  Timing would alleviate some of the On Schedule mass Dungeon Swarm and Grind as well.  At the least it would move it to an appropriate Risk vs Response are.

Most Evil Bad Guys have bolt Hole exists and back doors anyway.  Such could also be something for higher level Spotter types to do and find as well, up to and Including Short Cuts (ala Ranger Trails) from one server Area to Another.  You make said Spotting of such entries Class Specific, and you smush down the solo grinder casters a touch as well.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
A dungeon that only opens up at certain times would be flippin' sweet.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »

I agree with the lack of low low level area but beyond lvl 2, the crypts are no challenge to anyone, it's a mighty big zone for that.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »

I agree with the lack of low low level area but beyond lvl 2, the crypts are no challenge to anyone, it's a mighty big zone for that.

Crypts were plenty Challenging, when my beloved Grave Oozes were still in there, as well as the fast Scaling Skeletons and Mummies.  Now.....it's lacking though the Addition of the Odd Burial Ground (the under, under ground, giant Cave?) sort of beefs it up a touch.

It does get hit more then any other dungeon in the game.  *shrug*  Needs more Stuff.......LOTS of Undead, Lots of Different types, and Strahd Undead, and My Dagnab Oozes back.

:D

~Rex