Author Topic: XP Cap : Is it supposed to take that long to wear off?  (Read 10189 times)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
Re: XP Cap : Is it supposed to take that long to wear off?
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
It's most likely you just feeling like it was going faster.  I knew some players who felt like they were leveling faster than they really were (Addiction, anyone?)

I've had characters that were consistently capped between 1-10 (due to being dragged places a lot and never spending time chilling out) and others that I were only playing once every like 3 days due to the character not requiring much to do daily.  They both reached 10 in the same time reference.

Here's two fun-facts: 

You can get to level 4 during the first day of your character's creation (hardcore grinding and ending up at proverbial wall when you do), and then wait 4-5 days to be back to "Mist message"

You can get to level 4 during the first 4-5 days by doing exp-grinds here and there, and then still be at Mist Message.

The only exception is, for the first fun-fact, you don't have to wait.  You can keep going, and you'll still progress the same speed as the latter.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
Then this would only result in longer lvl gain, hence more low, low-mid levels. That can't be bad. Actually I wouldn't mind if all PCs were capped at level 10 across the board. A lvl 20 in this setting could be rather dangerous to the whole demi-plane. (even high-mid levels are rather a bit OP for this setting, so it starts at around lvl 13). But THAT is another topic. So I think it will be enough just to remove the message.

Caps Stink.  Level 20's are easily handled by the Environment should people choose to handle it.  Removing the message though, much like removing the viewable XP, takes XP out of the equation.  You Level, when you level.  No bait no tease.

~Rex

Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Also, on the topic of removing the cap message, here's my counter-argument to people not knowing whether they are capped or not:

The first message you get should be enough to let you know if you're capped or not.  When you are told "Close to nothing has happened" from killing demonlogists, the dragon, ice queen, etc. that should mean something.  When you get "You feel proud of what you have accomplished" from killing trash-mobs, then that also should give you a "!" signal that you're probably neglecting.

Remove the cap message, let people use their 'gain' as judgment.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
yes that would actually be good.
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

mayvind

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
Anyone want me to write guild to harvesting dungeons with maxi gain in XP ?   :mrgreen:  :lol:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
Anyone want me to write guild to harvesting dungeons with maxi gain in XP ?   :mrgreen:  :lol:

I could care less about maximum XP gain from a dungeon.  It's Reward vs the Risk that I tend to focus on.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
Okay - I think everyone has voiced their oppinions and this topic has served it's purpose.