You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Discussion: Problems with weapon spell buffs and weapon plusses vs undead PCs  (Read 7029 times)

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
he he   thats what i do

lay on hands at 52 points now, save a heal or some serious  and then down they go :-)

Aran

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
Warding gesture works on vamp spawn.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Kendaric

• Undead Master
By the way, is it just the weapons that are broken vs. undead PCs?  Had someone asking if Warding Gestures works against PCs that are monstrous.

Warding Gesture definitely works on both shapeshifter and undead PCs (as long as you have the respective specialization in the feat). I've used it on various monstrous PCs and never ran into any issues.

Not sure how they did it, but didn't that premium module "Pirates of the Sword Coast" have a way to turn the PC into an undead? I don't know whether it truly changed your race to undead, but I think it did (could have been a polymorph, I never played it myself so I can't say that for certain).

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
It's not unbalanced. As much as vs undead weapons don't work, weapons vs human or vs elves do work.

So, while the Dashow may not work, in return the Blade of the Cattle works.

It's a very minor thing honestly and since there's no fix, we play along. It's nothing new either, it's been that way for years and no one has had their roleplay ruined because of it.

honestly eo i gotta disagree with you here i got calson in plenty of situations where he's pvp vamp pcs at times and cant do jack with his bow cause of this bug or whatever you would wish to call it so it DOES effect rp to certain folks mine for example as one and i'm sure others too. How can someone claim to be a undead hunter and a good one at that when tehy can go slam the vamp crypts but cant take down a single vamp pc in combat? so yeah there is rp unbalance, there is pvp unbalance and pvm unbalance in regards to things too i think. I guess i am confused where you say there aint a unbalance issue or issue of rp ruined.

There are other Bows in the game now that will hurt PCs based on alignment.  :twisted:
Talk with Liam IG to see whats available.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
It's not unbalanced. As much as vs undead weapons don't work, weapons vs human or vs elves do work.

So, while the Dashow may not work, in return the Blade of the Cattle works.

It's a very minor thing honestly and since there's no fix, we play along. It's nothing new either, it's been that way for years and no one has had their roleplay ruined because of it.

honestly eo i gotta disagree with you here i got calson in plenty of situations where he's pvp vamp pcs at times and cant do jack with his bow cause of this bug or whatever you would wish to call it so it DOES effect rp to certain folks mine for example as one and i'm sure others too. How can someone claim to be a undead hunter and a good one at that when tehy can go slam the vamp crypts but cant take down a single vamp pc in combat? so yeah there is rp unbalance, there is pvp unbalance and pvm unbalance in regards to things too i think. I guess i am confused where you say there aint a unbalance issue or issue of rp ruined.

There are other Bows in the game now that will hurt PCs based on alignment.  :twisted:
Talk with Liam IG to see whats available.

thats well and good but from an ic perspective if you say this bow is good against chaos he'll be like "so? I need a bow good against undead" etc etc my point i think still stands and is valid there ARE and IS a rp problem with this bug and it IS unbalanced

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
Your point stands, but...

1)It's a bug and there is no fix this side of things
2)Only Letoing undead PCs could fix it
3)Leto is not compatible with the system PoTM runs on
4)Even if Leto were compatible, Axel doesn't have complete access to the server. It's a university server and the sys admins of the university do not want people that are not them accessing it. They have a strict control after all, since it hosts other things besides a game server.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
i understand that delph what i guess i'm getting at then is that because of this bug or whatever we ARE ruining folks rp just by having mosnter undead pcs both i think from both ends of the coins monster and hunters and perhaps i am a bit bias in this cause of  one of my pcs IS one of those hunters but its down right dang annoying and perhaps it needs to be looked at that possible we have monster pcs least undead ones ran only with dm events that way there is a chance of more order during any pvp fights or hunting or dealing or whatever plus when said hunter is using a wep that SHOULD be effective it can somehow be registered instead of

*hunters hits vamp pc only to see blade bounce of useless*

*vamp pc pwns said hunter due to useless nature*

at least theres more of a chance either side of the coin sorry if i'm not making sense never good at getting my point across through typing

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
If all monstrous pc based rp is intended to be simply about pvp, I'd say that can much more effectively be handled by DM run events and possessed npcs.

Rpwise I'd say there are many weaknesses various monstrous have and do rp, which could be used against them.  I was under the mistaken assumption that weapons vs undead and blessing a weapon with the divine spell would affect undead PCs and was surprised to learn they don't.   I'd agree that it is unbalanced but not so drastically unbalanced (when taking into consideration many rp'd weaknesses and other methods which could be used by resourceful pcs) that it totally makes the entire concept of monstrous pcs moot.

The experiences I have had in game that involved monstrous pcs greatly enhanced the atmosphere of horror, had a depth that npcs simply do not live long enough to develop as persona's (since they exist to be killed while most PCs, monstrous or not, will have some sense of self preservation) and gave my pcs something to actively fear; intelligent antagonists/villains and the threat of 'a fate worse than death'.  An Npc can fulfill a lot of this but not in my opinion with the same depth as a PC since, when it comes down to it, they are plot devices. A lot of work went into the development of the various monstrous templates, a lot of work is done by the players of those templates to role play them to the best of their abilities.

If it warrants such, perhaps parts of this topic can be split into a discussion as to the question of should monstrous PCs even exist, since the issue of the 'bug' is moot due to mechanics and other factors.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...