You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Items - Chitin plate: useful or not?  (Read 8764 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Items - Chitin plate: useful or not?
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:30:02 AM »
Found a chitin -plate- druid wear only. Now druids don't take heavy armor feat unless they HAVE this armor in hand.

I hear left and right, yeah but rogue fighter with UMD can use it. Yeah but it's a DRUID armor, is there other druid armor in game, like a chitin banded or scale? Something druids can actually wear for that purpose rather than rely on UMD.

Yeah posting a tad out of bitterness, found a chitin plate and no one needs it, so vendor trash. I hate vendor trashing good items.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

DarkWyvern

Re: Items - Chitin plate: useful or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
It was made for druids who do choose to take the Heavy Armor Feat, and not be breaking the oath since it is made of natural materials.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:07 AM »
Yeah i understand that, but heavy armor is not a useful feat at all for druids, UNLESS they have this particular item, it's fairly restrictive. A scale version would be much better.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:10 AM »
Found a chitin -plate- druid wear only. Now druids don't take heavy armor feat unless they HAVE this armor in hand.

I hear left and right, yeah but rogue fighter with UMD can use it. Yeah but it's a DRUID armor, is there other druid armor in game, like a chitin banded or scale? Something druids can actually wear for that purpose rather than rely on UMD.

Yeah posting a tad out of bitterness, found a chitin plate and no one needs it, so vendor trash. I hate vendor trashing good items.

Sounds good as an item. Is it significantly lighter? I wish I had a character who could get away with wearing a bug... Yoshinaka has his oriental armour and is happy with it, Umpton would never be caught dead in something so gross and my ezrite is really hankering for full plate DESPITE the fact it would cripple his movement and gives him no benefit at all.

Never played a druid before but I think druids are boring... hmmm. Maybe I could make a druid. They'd be in debt to the vardo for weeks but its something...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:58:55 AM by Helaman »

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

DarkWyvern

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:01:41 AM »
I can't remember. I did make the armor but I wanna say yes it has weight reduction. LOL.. I am old and senile

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:02:35 AM »
Ok - I got a fun idea for a druid... it means that Yoshinaka and Umpton are temp shelved for a bit longer, as is Tolg (he's cool but not fun) but as long as I have Jerome (who is waaaaay to much fun) and this new druid, it should be great.

Will get you in game in a few...

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:04:01 AM »
Its 60% weight reduction, the armor is very nice, safe that it requires to take a feat that most druids wouldnt take if it wasnt for the armor :)

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:53 AM »
Be on line later - I hope the Vardo still do loans... I'll be rating and minking for ages to pay it off.

DarkWyvern

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:26:40 AM »
Its main purpose was for druid players to seek out DM intervention with Gwyerrd and have it "made" by her and the dwarven king in Dvergeheim. Also was placed in her shops too. It wasn't meant to be a drop, but eventually became one.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:45:28 AM »
Be on line later - I hope the Vardo still do loans... I'll be rating and minking for ages to pay it off.

Is it a straight Half plate or half plate +1?

There is occassional ironwood splint mail that is a) 60% (so overall lighter) and b) same AC if the half plate is standard AC, and as a medium armour has lower proficiency penalties.

This may not be a good item at all... I mean, the druid has to spend a feat to get something that is sort of borderline available out there already that apart from a 5% vunerability to fire is as good or better or better in some ways.

mayvind

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:40:18 AM »
Ok, i need RP info here but i think i just jack this thread instead of creating a new one since i have druid and also heavy armor feat, Why? it is consider Oath breaking in Ravenloft to wear metal armor ? are we old school here or something? I know it is all balance of nature and stuff and my druid probary corrupt to blighter over time just need an input on the plate armor wearing druid thinggy. 

Thanks

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:47:57 AM »
Druids wearing metal and breaking their oaths  lose their ability to pray/cast spells in PnP, I think.

So a druid that's wearing a full plate mail like a knight is cheesing.  Chitin, leathers, hides,  dragon scales and such are permitted.

"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

mayvind

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »
Druids wearing metal and breaking their oaths  lose their ability to pray/cast spells in PnP, I think.

So a druid that's wearing a full plate mail like a knight is cheesing.  Chitin, leathers, hides,  dragon scales and such are permitted.

why it is so? so druid oath not to wear man made metal plate?? what of scimitar ??? they are standard weapon for druids, does it say in some of the source book somewhere? Ravenloft wise.  And why considering druid in full plate cheesing? the NwN feat allow us too in this regard isnt cheesing is to RP special power the NwN engine not have... soo cheesing is not  a correct word. I need DM though on this.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:09 AM »
Until it's fixed (either more choices, or proper implementation), I say just let druids wear whatever they want and say it's chitin/wood/whatever.

After all, last time I checked a rust monster still destroyed leather or chitin or hides with it's little probisci. And if we don't consider that cheesing for the little rascal to do that, no reason to consider it cheesing for a druid to wear metal and call it chitin if no body has bothered to make it easy for them to get some animal armor.

Some non-metal options would be nice. Fire  beetle chitin with fire resistance. Grave scarab beetles for negative energy. Maybe some hook horror chitin, umber hulk chitin, etc.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »
Its main purpose was for druid players to seek out DM intervention with Gwyerrd and have it "made" by her and the dwarven king in Dvergeheim. Also was placed in her shops too. It wasn't meant to be a drop, but eventually became one.

I had never heard of chitin armor before it was accidentally put up on the Degannwy store for a few weeks.
How do we even know it exists to request it? (Assuming that we didn't see it through some fluke like I did.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:26:52 AM by Zedrik »

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:59:20 AM »
Quotes from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)
In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, druid is one of the base character classes. The Druid is a versatile class, capable in combat and of casting divine spells. They gain divine magic from being at one with nature, or from one of several patron gods of the wild. Unlike the cleric, druids do not have special powers against undead and cannot use metal armor.

In the 3.5 edition of Dungeons & Dragons, Druids are free to use different forms of weaponry, but they lose the ability to cast spells or change into animal form for a day if they wear metal armor.

And yeah  Kenpen It's stupid that nwn mechanics can't tell a metal armor from a leather/other one.  :facepalm:

"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
Also druids pretty much suck.

Priests get sphere bonuses for free... druids get an animal companion...

Priests get amazing combat and combat buff spells... druid gets... ummmm well - a parcel of mediocre spells that sorta makes him a weak 2nd cousin to the priest AND with the restriction on metal armour and all round crappy weapon selection...

Sell it to Murnu.

Druids are crap. :lol:

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

Priests get amazing combat and combat buff spells... druid gets... ummmm well - a parcel of mediocre spells that sorta makes him a weak 2nd cousin to the priest AND with the restriction on metal armour and all round crappy weapon selection...

Sell it to Murnu.

Yeah they failed with druids in nwn 1.  Nwn 2 druid is pure carnage.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Druid_spell_list

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Elephant%27s_Hide

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Natural_Spell

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Oaken_Resilience

sorry for the off topic btw.  -_-;

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »

Sell it to Murnu.

Druids don't suck I've been clobbered by Druids Lower level them me with Upwards of a +21 AB, and my Low Level Druid can cruise areas with impunity that my Mid level Fighter can not.  Their one sucktastic thing, is that their Summon spells are pretty much useless since by the time the summoning animation is done the spell is over.

NwN2 they are pure Carnage though.  Here, takes them till about 8th level before Pure Carnage kicks in.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »
Yep except a cleric would have also pwned ya Rex and probably better too.

Anyway, back to Nef.

I'm shelving the Druid idea - its a GREAT concept (hardly original) but it would take a BUCKET load of time to invest in the concept... which I really don't have at the moment.

Not sure if any other druid wants it.

DarkWyvern

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »

I had never heard of chitin armor before it was accidentally put up on the Degannwy store for a few weeks.
How do we even know it exists to request it? (Assuming that we didn't see it through some fluke like I did.)

Chitin Armor:

Chitin is a type of light plate armor which is constructed by laminating several layers of insect shell glued with organic resins. The design is superior to Western leather armor as it is lighter and more comfortable.

After discussion with the Dev Team, we made the armor Half-plate (Armor 7) with +1 vs Bludgeoning. fire resistant -/5, and weight reduction 60%

I know I've put two druids already through a nice little adventure in getting the armor crafted for them. A couple are MIA due to real life issues and time constraints, however they were happy with the results. In fact, it was because they requested it I came up with the idea of creating the armor. :)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »
My druid wears Fur, Looks like Santa Claus, is older then dirt, and wouldn't be caught dead in Chitin.  But then he also has a Badger as an animal Companion so he doesn't fit the Mold.  :D  I would call the Chitin Armor Useful, though if I've seen people wearing it, they have it crafted into something that doesn't look like Armor which is an annoyance to me anyway.  Not my bag though but I tend to stick to the Druid Code.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

failed.bard

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
  If Nef still has it when my druid gets money, I would like it.  There would have to be a DM there when Lili buys it, though, for certain reasons.

Lili also has a badger, and finally bought ironwood armour today, dyeing it in seasonal colours.  When winter comes, I'll most likely add boots to it, but personally I like the way the druid armours and the chitin armour look.  I think chitin falls well within the druid code, I like that there's an option for heavy armour for a druid, but there is of course the personal preferences of the different characters that come into play as well.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
 the armor Half-plate (Armor 7) with +1 vs Bludgeoning. fire resistant -/5, and weight reduction 60% AND -1 ac

i guess everyone disagreed with me about the whole need to get an extra feat, oh well. I know i wouldnt take the extra feat  just to get an armor. -wave white flag-

Armor for saaallleeee

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
Heh.  At least the druids have some hope of using something heavier than light armor without gimping themselves.  Their ranger friends have that whole "wear anything heavier than Light and lose your free dual-wield bonuses so you're nothing more than a Fighter with fewer Hit Points, a spell or two and a critter following you around" monkey riding their backs....   :lol:

We totally need to take that little stone circle near the beetle caverns and turn it into a druid/ranger hang-out.  Maybe have Navarre or someone out there selling armors made from 100% natural materials.  All in favor?  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:45:59 PM by Wids »