You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Creatures/Spawn Rates - Greater Fiendish Abberation outside the temple  (Read 4966 times)

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
Without going into details and/or spoiling anything, I'd like to put forth that their ranged touch attack is ridiculous for anything found in an outdoor area. (see topic)

While I think I understand the reason for them being where they are, and why they are so vicious, they are still something that I would see being in a dungeon as opposed to wandering around during daytime 1 zone away from an inn.

It's disheartening to wait until dawn, avoiding a pack of werewolves (which by comparison, would have been an easy battle) only to run into these while picking berries....

Ah, just an opinion.  Not trying to offend devs that created and placed them or anything of that nature.

Perhaps push the intense spawns back a zone, or give some kind of warning...?  Wish I had a better suggestion, but I don't.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Creatures/Spawn Rates - Greater Fiendish Abberation outside the temple
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »
As a newbie i do hunt minks up there, it's a bit dangerous spawn for day time in a zone that used to be relatively safe.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
They would be fine if they spilled into the first area of the temple because normally that area has nothing in it anyhow...

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »
Without going into details and/or spoiling anything, I'd like to put forth that their ranged touch attack is ridiculous for anything found in an outdoor area.
Since they can, in effect, instantly kill a 12th level barbarian with an ac over 30 and a discipline skill in the high 20's I'm of the opinion they are simply over powered /period/.  They are effectively bodaks without a saving throw, in terms of actual results, that appear in mass herds instead of solo.  One ranged zap and you lay there and get to watch them beat you to death.

If it is desired that they have ranged attacks, to deter sniping them, why not give them throwing axes? With a high STR they could quickly scare you off without that auto-death effect they have.  If worried about mage DR spells, make the axes greensteel (+1) and/or simulate coating them with alchemists fire (+d4 fire).

Would be kinda neat if you then found some jars of alchemists fire and greensteel throwing axes either on them or in a box somewhere close.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »
I've been saying they are MUCHO overpowered for ages now, as have some others...

Previously the answer was "Party up and find intelligent ways of fighting"

This appareently means Darkness spell (or item) and blindfighting so they can't see you to use that ranged touch attack - or acid shealth and stone skin/transformation to doomguard and let the creatures beat themselves to death. This is to promote partying. I don't see it that way but I don't want this to degenerate into a argument on classes.

That was all hunky dory when they stayed inside.

Now? Now they are out where ppl hunt and herb pick. My 3rd level fighter ran into them and LUCKLY managed to get out of there at a fast run.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
They are designed for the highest level dungeon on the server, one only a very powerful party can clear. I guess the issue is that they spill out too far out of the dungeon.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
Definitely. Poor mink hunters

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:36:24 PM »
They are designed for the highest level dungeon on the server, one only a very powerful party can clear. I guess the issue is that they spill out too far out of the dungeon.

For me it's simply a "do not go" area, not even in a party, and yes, this is now spilling outside making that map a "no go" area as well.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

For me it's simply a "do not go" area, not even in a party, and yes, this is now spilling outside making that map a "no go" area as well.

What level is your PC? 19, 20?

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:50:23 PM »

Yes, I was not discussing their viability as monsters - just where I ran into them.
At 10th level I don't dare to go into that dungeon.  A 15 second run from Constantin's is another case entirely, however... especially during the day - these monsters are simply too deadly for where I encountered them... in my understanding though, this is not a static spawn, but spillover from a dungeon that has run amok?

Staying on topic:
Yes, perhaps altering the spill area would alleviate this.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

Yes, I was not discussing their viability as monsters - just where I ran into them.
At 10th level I don't dare to go into that dungeon.  A 15 second run from Constantin's is another case entirely, however... especially during the day - these monsters are simply too deadly for where I encountered them... in my understanding though, this is not a static spawn, but spillover from a dungeon that has run amok?

Staying on topic:
Yes, perhaps altering the spill area would alleviate this.

It would be fine if the ones outside didn't have the knockdown bolt, but maybe a damage bolt instead, then at least the low level victims could come screaming into the outskirts asking for help, and a party could be arranged.

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
The spillout is ridiculous, for the challenge they present. It makes it inneffectual to even PLACE mink spawn there. Who goes to the Demon's, pwns, comes back, and says: "Oooh, mink, let's go get 'um!"

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 11:50:06 PM »
id actually liked if that place around the temple would be dead and barren. dead trees and such
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
I like them being there. No one goes that way anyway since its only the temple and scrags.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »
I like them being there. No one goes that way anyway since its only the temple and scrags.

thats where your wrong grim i and i know many others go that way along the shores at low lvls for mink and herb picking and honestly seing just one of those things at even lvl 6 just ruins my ability to do those things

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 01:57:33 AM »
Just go somewhere else to hunt mink. I mean, mink. Sheesh. People still *do* that? I figured once people had made their first character, they figured out much easier, more productive, and more entertaining ways to make money. Besides. Plenty of mink everywhere else. And, I *like* the abberations outside there. They're not all that hard to get around. And they are hella-good XP.

I do *hate* the ranged bolt touch attack. It's never made a lick of sense. I like the idea of giving them throwing axes. That could accomplish a similar effect without being so, oh, I don't know how to say it... retarded? Maybe even spice if up w/ some different weapons. Slings, w/ some filth-fever pellets. Some different various axes. And, have that stuff drop. Barely anyway picks up the throwing axes anyway unless they're using them themselves, because they're so heavy, and I'm a fan of monsters actually dropping the equipment they use.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »
The point of the bolt was to prevent the snipe and run technique, I do believe. Giving them good damage reduction versus piercing (10/- or higher) and moderate versus bludgeoning (5/-) ought to make arrows, bolts, and bullets an unlikely choice of combat.

But yeah, they would provide an ugly sight for a low level to see charging you.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
The point of the bolt was to prevent the snipe and run technique, I do believe. Giving them good damage reduction versus piercing (10/- or higher) and moderate versus bludgeoning (5/-) ought to make arrows, bolts, and bullets an unlikely choice of combat.

But yeah, they would provide an ugly sight for a low level to see charging you.

Yeah. I suggested the higher piercing DR way back when the bolt attack first came in on the scene. Alas, it was not implemented.

Or, heck, if the bolt attack only knocked you down for one turn action round, it would still serve it's purpose... to slow down PCs from doing the running-in-circles-sniping game, but wouldn't actually cause you to be tush-raped every time you get knocked down for 12 full seconds.

But in the end, I'd rather see them with, say... +1/15 piercing DR, which would effectively negate most people doing the "run around" on them. And give them some throwing axes.

I never understood why the run-around was such a big deal anyway. Having been one of the people who used it at low levels to gain mad xp, I can tell you, it wasn't easy and I occasionally died. It took *forever* to kill those things even with a +1 mighty 3 composite bow, steel arrows, and plenty of bow skills. For most people, it wouldn't really have been time effect. Sure, a real lowbie with a LOT of patience could do it -- but, the ranged touch attack wasn't needed to stop that. Giving them some missle weapons would have kept the lowbies from pulling that stunt without a lot of planning, and - as for highbees - they wouldn't resort to the running and shooting trick. It's far easier to pick them off in other ways, takes less time, and isn't as irritating.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 02:15:51 AM »
Why? Because with a group, it was rather easy to whittle away at one while someone just played the train-game with the critter.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 02:22:29 AM »
The only way to drag one away from their groups and do that trick before the bolt attack was to get pretty lucky and get one to follow you through the door onto the bridge. If they had just removed their ability to pass that door, it would have ceased that problem.

Now, the AI seems a lot smarter, even w/ the ones outside. If you lure one away, and drop darkness, and being to wail on it, the others will usually come to help even if they are some good distance off. Previously, like on the bridge, you could put the group at the edge of the screen in such a way that they wouldn't really follow you even if you could still see them while you were pounding on their friend.

Either way, bolt attack wasn't really needed. And I still maintain it never made any sense, and I've still never been told exactly what it is. :-P A psychic effect? A mini-bigbies?

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:36:13 AM »
its a jedi force push

but yeah, i dont know why even there is any wildlife in tnat area. i would think that the sheer presence of such evil creatures would drive anything natural out of the area, corrupt and twist it somehow

besides theres not many minks anyway so why you just have to force yourself to go there and hunt such =/ tons of more minks in other places, like area around the small lake in south forest, and lot of minks along the roads and bushes towards the village barovia, not to mention lot of minks too when you go to zeklos lands

minks near temple are a fraction of all and you need to be very greedy to pursue minks in such place. areas there are demon lands. im fine with them being there and doing their stuff. atleast theres some challenge available when you get the urge to fight something
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 05:33:36 AM »
Its a wierd one - sometimes theres one mink for the whole map

but the other day there was about 3-4 nicely clustered groups of 4 and 5 mink

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
Not to mention it is on the way to the old Laboratory which is one of the most awesome places on the server if you ask me for some creepy RP :twisted:

Anyways, to stay on topic i cant say i really like having them all around them shores, they are a far to deadly spawn to just show up at a random location on map one would think is rather safe.
Just my opinion.

Oh and last i checked freedom of movement not working towards that KD bolt either, so there is no way to protect you self against them really if not use some of the methods mentioned above.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:50:17 PM by Metal_ash »

failed.bard

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
  I had thought it was just the normal and large ones that had the KD bolt, and that the greaters had something different.

As it it, those two maps before were the only ones out in the wild I can think of that never spawned any creatures.  With them being near, at the time at least, the two most dangerous dungeons in game, it made very little sense.  The wilds of Barovia, near a temple of absolute evil, are not supposed to be a safe place to go have a picnic.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 03:49:04 AM »
hmmm... i do not know if i should revive this... but i guess the bolt isn't overpowered as it is a -ranged- "touch attack", so someone with high dex, should be able to avoid it (unless those things have a very high touch attack ab). I guess that concealment and displacment do help as well.

This might be a moot point, as actually i did not see any such creature around the lake, be that day or night time.