You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Glory is everlasting  (Read 1091 times)

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
Glory is everlasting
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
The moon was slowly making its way upwards, candles and torches were being lit, nightwatch had began their shift a while ago and nocturnal animals scurried out from their holes. Pair of sturdy boots scraped against the stones of Mirabar streets. The mans stride was quick and sharp, almost militaristic. Even though he wasnt part of citys armed forces nor even member of militia, the guards whom passed, saluted the man or bowed their heads respectfully because of his faith. Father Ferron Velaris, battle chaplain of Tempus and a member of the Broken Blade order, had earned this respect with blade and blood.

Snow started to fall gently, covering everything under its cold white blanket. The Tempite hurried his steps, knowing that he still had things to take care of when he got back to his home that lay a short walking distance outside the citywalls. As he passed one of the many inns of the city, the priest heard a muffled cry from the alleway. Taking a step closer revealed a sad sight. In a pile of refuge was a small crying bundle, an infant that had been hastily wrapped in a piece of cloth. Cursing under his breath the priest shooed away the rats that were always looking for something to eat, picked up the child and wrapped his fur-lined cloak around the bundle to warm the wailing whelp.

"Bastards.."

The priest turned on his heels and walked to the inn door, slamming it open and making the patrons heads turn in unison.

AŽright! Who the Žell did this!? And when the person responsible shows his or her face, Im gointae beat some sense in the useless lump some of you might call a head!

-Later that day-

Velaris stood up and wrapped the holy symbol around his neck. He had prayed for the child, healing few minor bruises and lowering the fewer. Finally the nameless infant slept peacefully. The barmaid who was working that night walked around him and the child nervously, squeezing the rag she used to clean cups and plates with.

"Thank you miss. He should be aŽright now.. So, you had an idea who the child could belong to?"
"Yes father. There was this young couple who left few moments earlier before you came. They stayed here only for a short while and the woman was carrying that child. I heard them argue a lot and loudly since they barely had the coin to buy food"
"Names?"
"No idea father"
"Hrnh.. Well its too late to go after Žem. Besides - I wouldnt know where to look... Well Žen. This boy needs a home and I sure as Žell cant take him."

The barmaid nodded quietly.

"Tell you what luv. Your husband is a guard, right? And you have children of your own?"
"Yes father. Two daughters"
"Aye.. Ive talked with your husband few times. Good man."
"Yes father."

The priest placed a heavy bag on the table and glanced at the child briefly before turning his attention back to the young woman.

"You will take care oŽ the boy until hes old enough to come and work for me. You will raise him like he was your own. And since I know you must already Žave enough trouble with the girls, Im gointae give you this bag of coins."

"But... Mh.. Yes father."
"DonŽt worry luv.. I will send another bag in due time. But I will also be visiting every now and then to make sure hes alright."

The maid nodded quietly, not wanting to argue with the cleric who was rumoured to have crushed a mans skull with bare hands. Of course rumours were rumours and spread by old hags with too much time, but why take any chances? With a sigh she sat besides the child and made sure the blanket was covering him properly.