Author Topic: Poll - General - Areas - Blood and Gore  (Read 1897 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Poll - General - Areas - Blood and Gore
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »
don't have anything against blood and gore in areas.. I have always been a little iffy about the static blood and gore in some areas..

for example.
In the Werewolf caves there are several rooms that are filled with bones and pools of blood. The first time entering and even up to the 10th time entering it's easy to RP reactions to the blood and bones and bodies. But after the thousandth time? Not so much. And the lack of response to it when in there with players that have never been in there before I feel detracts from their immersion. Now alot of times I just fake it, but often it comes across as fake and forced, or at least it feels that way to me, which detracts from my feelings and immersion.

The best way I think of solving this IMHO would be to remove static fresh blood and gore from areas, things like bones and mummified corpses and the like would stay.. but fresh blood, gore and bodies could be left to purely DM placed placeables... then when fresh blood and gore is encountereed.. it is fresh.. not a stale static placeable..

I'm not saying the areas don't look great, but I feel that placeables that should be effected by time and entropy should be temporary and not permanent fixtures.

If you agree.. vote yes.. if you disagree.. vote no.. If you don't care.. vote don't care :P

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Poll - General - Areas - Blood and Gore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
Agreed on the werewolf cave, its BIG and SHOCKING, but it could be DM placed rather than permanently there. Loses its effect after so many times.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:19:29 AM »
Agreed

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:44 AM »
The werewolf cave is the perfect example.  By the time you reach the boat, a few dozen skeletons have no impact, because you've already seen at least a dozen torn bodies already.  If the blood trail led to an unidentifiable mass of bone and blood as opposed to a room full of bodies the ship could be made to have an enormous impact on entry, especially the way it's laid out now.

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
It's just you(r PC) getting used to to things like this. After you've been to the werewolf cave a thousand of times you're not going to be shocked by it again I presume. Hold your nose, look away, wince a moment, step over or move around the gore could all be possible reactions and so is reacting to it in a brain-dead fashion. And isn't it just completely IC in the end?
 I think the new player will understand as well.

Going to a dungeon for the first time with some one who's been there a thousand of times is generally going to be less interesting than going there with some one else that's going there for the first or second time.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
true jipk but what about alts? i mean if it was the first time say Hope went to the werewolf caves she'd be geninely freaked but ooc i wouldnt bat an eye lash as the place has lost its charm. I think whats needed is a few shreds of clothes or a few undentifable bones for the first areas tehn slowly build to that mass of bones and gore in the pirate boat to build up the sense of horror that would least be more realistic and build supense

Truth

• Dark Lord
    • Myspace!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »
I guess it's not and helps things from looking generic and boring.  But what I've always been in support and favor for, is anything you can add that will generate more of the gothic horror setting.  This is EXTREMELY different from the general blood and gore stuff you'd see in let's say, a stupid Saw movie.
Think Bram Stokers Dracula, Mary Shelly's Frakenstein, Jack the Ripper.  Stuff like that.   Our DM's and Devs are really creative and I'd like to see you add more things along those lines.  Scary doesn't necessarily have to mean gory. 
THE NATION THAT MAKES A GREAT DISTINCTION BETWEEN ITS SCHOLARS AND ITS WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS. -THUCYDIDES

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
Better off just using DM-placed.  Probably lessens lag for those dungeons when there's no placeables everywhere too.