Author Topic: Child of Blasphemy  (Read 1237 times)

JayeAeotiv

• Undead Slayer
  • don't make me crash this car
Child of Blasphemy
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
Izzy Gottschalk is a naive girl.  Her family was quite strange, and her upbringing even stranger.  Her Falkovnian father, Jens Gottshalk, spent his days in a bar.  Occasionally he would be forced to travel to Darkon.  Though Izzy never new for sure, she heard he was a Talon and was sent on missions to various places.  He fell in love with a young lady name Catalin Ondyne.  He took her home to Falkovnia as a prize.  When she later became pregnant, he began to disown her, though he kept her around most of the time.

Catalin was a devout Ezrite, and Jens hated it.  What Jens hated more is that he knew she would raise his child to be an Ezrite while he was away on 'business'.  He told Catalin that if he was allowed to name their offspring, he would not kill it.  Catalin agreed.  When Izzy Gottshalk was born, Jens proudly named her Ezra.  He knew this name would anger his wife and all those of the church.  He had hoped that Ezra would not be allowed to attend church due to her blasphemous name.  Catalin resorted to teaching her young daughter at home.

Ezra picked up the nickname "Izzy" very early in life. Her mother called her that.  Izzy didn't have many friends due to her tainted blood.  Everyone knew she was part Darkonese.  One day when Izzy was about fifteen years of age, her father was called to go back to Darkon, to explore some old crypts, he never returned.  It was not long before her mother ran out of money and they were thrown onto the streets.

Shortly after Ezra's sixteenth birthday, around the time her mother died of heat stroke, she began to develop another personality.  She no longer called herself "Izzy", but rather Ezra.  She became blasphemous and brave.  Normally Izzy was very fearful and naive.  When she was Ezra, she was a whole new person.  Sometimes she claimed to be the goddes herself!  Other times, she was plain old Izzy.

One day, dressed in rags, Ezra decided to go find her lost followers.  She followed her feet to Barovia.

//I've been workin hard on this, is it any good?
--
Zook Firestarter | Jaye

JayeAeotiv

• Undead Slayer
Re: Child of Blasphemy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
**journal entry**

I've been in Barovia for several days now.  There is much work to be done here.  The church does not have much of a presence, and the presence it does have is met with resistance.  I've been fairing well.  I spent my last few coins feeding a terrified caliban.  Oh, the strangest things have been happening since mother died.  They've become more frequent since I arrived here in Barovia.

The insomnia is worse yet.  I feel so sleepy all of the time.  I lay and stare at the ceiling, wishing sleep will take me.  I fall asleep at the strangest times, what's stranger is the waking up part.  Just the other day I fell asleep while sitting at dinner, and the next thing I know I'm walking down an alley at night!  I don't think it's sleep walking.  People have been accusing me of things... things I didn't do.  Oh, I wish mother were still here.  I wish I could apologize.  Publicly, she's filth, and should not be associated with, father taught me that.  But in private, she's a very kind soul. 

Why did I come to Barovia?  What did I expect to find in coming here?  Maybe it wasn't the goddess' voice that charged me to come here, maybe it was something else.  She said She would speak to me again, but I have not heard her voice since I arrived here.  She gave me strength.  I wonder where She is now.

One thing is for sure, this is better than home.  There are many rude people in this place, but there are some kind souls as well.  My only hope is to show them that an Ezrite is not just a name, not just a member of a church, but a kind, caring person.
--
Zook Firestarter | Jaye

JayeAeotiv

• Undead Slayer
Re: Child of Blasphemy
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
   “Why can’t you just leave me alone?” Izzy pleaded.

“Because you need me.” Ezra replied with her thick accent.

“I don’t need you and I don’t want your help!” Izzy paced the small prayer room.  Their shouting bounced off the walls.

Ezra glared as she shook her head.  “You’re too weak.  You’re too naïve.  You’re too dumb.”  A tear rolled down Izzy’s cheek at these words.

“That’s not true!”  Izzy felt a knot rising in her throat.  Her candle flickered in the cold room.

“It is.” Ezra interjected, “What about that ‘good doctor’?  Why did you go to see him?”

“He said he could help us.”

“Did he?”

“I don’t remember…”

“Because I saved us.  He would have killed one or both of us, and you know it.”

“If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have been there.  I don’t need you.” Izzy protested.

“Stop lying to yourself.”  Ezra said with a mothering tone.  “What about Aleyi?  He’s dangerous.”

“He’s kind, he’s nice.”

“He’s most likely a criminal.  People seem to want him dead.  They’d hurt us to get to him, you know that.  Why do you insist on spending time with him?”

“I…”

“Because you’re naïve.”

“I don’t care.  I don’t need you.  I don’t want you.  I got along fine without you!”  Izzy whined as she backed up to the cold wall.

“Did you really?  Didn’t you cry every night after your mother died?”

“I hated that woman.” Izzy said with disgust.

“But you couldn’t handle the new life on the street.  You cried every night until I decided to save you.”

“I…”

“You never thanked me.”

“But…”

“You always took me for granted, and now you want me to just leave?”

“…yes.”

“Is that what you really want?  Or is it because those stupid priests think I’m a bad influence?” Ezra yelled.

“A little of both,” Izzy took a breath, and summoned up a little more confidence, “You tried to get us a job in a gentleman’s club!”

Ezra laughed, “We need to make some money.”

“But I’m a priestess!  I can’t be prancing around in a gentleman’s club!”

“Is that what you really want?  You want me gone?”

“Yes.” A tear splashed onto the floor. “I don’t want you to come back.”

There was a loud knock on the door.  “Izzy, are you okay in there?” A man’s voice called out.

Izzy opened the door in tears, “Yes we’re… I’m fine.”

The man looked around the empty room, “Who were you talking to?”

Izzy wiped the tears from her eyes, “N...no one.”
--
Zook Firestarter | Jaye