Author Topic: Area - Shadow Caves - Inbalanced spawns  (Read 1841 times)

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
Area - Shadow Caves - Inbalanced spawns
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
I was in the Shadow Mines, was fighting normal shadows and shadow Asps, then all of a sudden a +20 AB Shadow SPider comes up and KD spams me to death and maims my pal.

This doesn't seem balanced in any way.

Normal shadows, and Shadow Asps, low-level AB, straight to nigh-epic Spider AB.

mayvind

Re: Area - Shadow Caves - Inbalanced spawns
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:19 AM »
you sure is not a DM who spawn it?

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:36:19 AM »
Wasn't a DM. Regular spawn.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:09 AM »
Yeah, they're right. I've noticed the really low spawns mixing with the high spawns. It seems to have been randomized in some strange way... and, overall, there's usually nothing in the rooms now. Always seems to be a low number of creatures, even if one or two of them happen to be shadow spiders or something big.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:12 AM »
I'm not entirely against this...

"Oh look - its XYZ creature... its safe"

Is not nearly as groovy as...

"OMG - we could die at any moment"

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Falcifer

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
Just as a newbie, I've had a similar thing happen. I was walking through the sewers, having encountered nothing more terrifying than a dire rat, when I came across a Bandit, who apparently summoned a Greater Wererat. It blocked the only way I had out of the sewers. The other way had been locked, and I was stuck in there, between a door I couldn't get through and a room containing two Greater Wererats and two Bandits.

I eventually attempted to run through, and got killed. Had to respawn and take the XP hit, since I knew nobody who would really be able to/bother to go down into a place I myself wasn't sure how to get to, kill two Greater Wererats/Bandits, then lug my corpse back to the temple.

On talking about this to someone on tells, I was told it was because of the Gothic Horror setting...

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »
Going to clarify this: Now that bandit didn't summon a Greater wererat. It is a greater wererat or lycanthrope.

And welcome to Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mists, but please, if you're going to resurrect an almost three month old thread, please have it be on topic (this thread is about the shadow caves' spawn being unbalanced, not the sewers) and have it add something new to the current thread, okay?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:52:04 AM by Delphinidae »

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths