Author Topic: Realism vs Game - feedback  (Read 32705 times)

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
Re: Realism vs Game - feedback
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »

Levelling up, too. The system took me hours to figure out. Getting money. I can't even afford to buy a pint of Barley Ale because I don't know how to earn money (Other than the proverbial minking). This also suits my character badly, since my Druid would very rarely want to kill an animal himself, let alone walk out into the woods and rip the skin off any stray cats he sees.

I'm getting on a rant now....Last thing, anyway.

Not sure if there is already a system like this, but I have no damn clue how to find people. My only realy hope for getting involved in any RP seems to be to wander between Lady's Rest and the temple, waiting for anyone my level to turn up. I've had no luck joining any organised groups. Is it acceptable to whisper people and metagame slightly in order to actually feel like you're in an online game, as oppose to a single player one with lag?

Sorry for all the negativity. I have had some great experiences here, but I have also had some ruined by things. Just voicing my opinion.

I've been here for over a year now and I still don't entirely know how the XP works... So...  :mrgreen:

As for money... Yeah. People throw money around left and right, yet I never have much of any money. Ratting is (or was?) popular, but, holy cow, boring. And not fitting for most of my characters. Minking either.

As for finding people? THAT is my main problem right now. I can be online, ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR PEOPLE, for over TWO HOURS, and come across no one. Or maybe one or two AFK people. With 30+ people online. Yeah...  :cry:

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
Yeah I've logged in, seeing 25 plus people, 3 dm's, can't find one soul.  Not one.  Otto is such a likable person to I just don't understand it.  I make my money off of selling all the stupid scrolls I find..  Thousands every time I log in.  Not an exaggeration.  Gotten to the point now where I use Holy Sword Scrolls as wrapper for rolled Cigars.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

tzaeru

« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
As for finding people? THAT is my main problem right now. I can be online, ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR PEOPLE, for over TWO HOURS, and come across no one. Or maybe one or two AFK people. With 30+ people online. Yeah...  :cry:

I've managed to get a pretty good clue on money and XP (and not that I wanted either that much anyway..), but this still keeps bugging me.

Where in all nines have everyone gone suddenly?  :| Lady's Rest and the temple used to be the places to hang at, nowdays they are mostly empty.

failed.bard

« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
  Lili sits alone for hours at a time in the ezrite cathedral.  Sometimes hours in games, sometimes hours in real life.  At least for the people sitting bored in the ML temple there's a decent chance of a person coming in.  A script that told you where people were would have to be based around temples and inns only, and even then couldn't give names due to it's ability to be exploited, but would be handy if it could be done.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2008, 09:10:58 AM »
Sorry - Jerome is making hats out of the Book of Ezra to keep the visions out...  :)

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
  Lili sits alone for hours at a time in the ezrite cathedral.  Sometimes hours in games, sometimes hours in real life.  At least for the people sitting bored in the ML temple there's a decent chance of a person coming in.  A script that told you where people were would have to be based around temples and inns only, and even then couldn't give names due to it's ability to be exploited, but would be handy if it could be done.

There is a BB on my Diablo server that tells you where other players are.  Granted, it is a powergamer's server and it's done more to keep players from fighting over the same boss at the same time.   :mrgreen:

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement here or if that would pass muster with the metagaming rules. 

But I will agree, it seems you can't find other players online lately without sending out tells. 

Btw, now that I know someone is in the Ezra temple, Calor may just stop in on his way to Megan's.   ;)
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
Yeah I actually Prefer knowing which dungeon to not waste my time looking into but I can usually tell that by looking at the list.  It is helpful to know where the Non Grinders are though.

~Rex

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
There's still this discussion for that:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=13687.0

And I still say it's a great idea to have for the sake of aiding those frequent moments where everything feels empty.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »

And I still say it's a great idea to have for the sake of aiding those frequent moments where everything feels empty.

Hmmm........Missed that post apparently must have been during one of my "Turn off the Computer" cycles.  Idea has Merit.  I wonder if you could actually code a widget, that points you in the right direction.  Like an RP compass.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »

It's a great idea, Ric.  Sorry I missed it. 

The really funny part to all this is that I get TELLS asking how there can be 30 people ingame and they're nowhere to be found.  Obviously, we're all having the same problem at one time or another. 
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
Trust me, you're not alone.  I get tells asking where people are even when I've logged in and not even had time to push the enter key.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Okay, deviating from the topic. This has been discussed before on another thread.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

dented paladin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
just going to suggest that maybe the vistani seer chickerdoodle could be re scripted to tell you where people are, rather than some auto-pull up rest option or whatnot. Might actually make finding where people are apart of thee roll play rather than a bypass of it..

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
just going to suggest that maybe the vistani seer chickerdoodle could be re scripted to tell you where people are, rather than some auto-pull up rest option or whatnot. Might actually make finding where people are apart of thee roll play rather than a bypass of it..

Not a bad idea.  It certainly contains some Realism, Gypsies are good for that in this kind of setting, and would balance well with the Game Aspect.

Now the hard part, would be, who can script it?  I see an actual In Game function being a touch of an issue maybe?

~Rex

dented paladin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard to script it, as I have seen this sort of thing before in other servers. One could also change the spell clairavoyance to do the same thing, rather than the standard nwn scripting. (I havent used this spell on the server now, so i have no idea what changes have been done to it, so be nice and don't flame my lack of knowledge.) That I have seen in various player/builder rest menu options on the vault now. The class specific one is the best example of this, I believe Talus is one of the systems out there.
going from memory, you get the option in your emote menu if your a wizard or sorc, and if you have the spellmemorized/or know it if sorc, selecting it will make your char cast the spell, then you are given the list of player locals in the chat window.
The problem may well be in the generic areas rather than actual locals these scripts tend to return. I would guess that it depends on the tag name conventions the build team now and of course has used in the past.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »
I'm taking my thoughts to Ric's thread about a player locator:

Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
Lets not have it name names - sometimes ppl dont want to be found

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Nah that's why I like a realistic approach of just having an NPC spawn when Player numbers hit a certain number in certain areas.  That's a realistic approach to something like that mechanic.

~Rex