You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Casters - Too common or illusions of mind  (Read 24489 times)

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
Re: Casters - Too common or illusions of mind
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
Fighters are not useless, they're great for low level spellcasters to buff up.

I had a low level mage named Will Wendt, he could solo and kick ass, I got him to level 6 through lots of RP and a tad bit of soloing. Though Fighters and/or company does make it easier for the caster...

Melee is still optional...Unless they still have those lightning scimitars against the undead...then maybe we have something on the dealing board here.

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
~

End conclusion?  Party.  Party.  Party.

If you don't want to party with the casters, then that's your funeral.  If I have to, I will make a pure fighter for the sole purpose of showing that it's very easy for a non-caster to rock in the presence of partying.  It won't be the first time I've designed characters like this.

If you see casters partying with non-casters that aren't buffing the non-casters with essential buffs (If they don't have enough spells, this doesn't count, I'm talking about giving GMW, Keen Edge, Bull's, etc.), then your caster isn't playing smart.

The problem I, and I believe Rex as well, have with this is the requirement to party with casters to be even remotely worthwhile as a fighter or barbarian. Without getting buffed up you're basically worthless and this leads to frustration of a part of the player base in the long run. Non-magic based melee and/or ranged combat need to become a more integral part or we will see less and less non-casters.

The situation with partying right now is as hi-di-ho said: fighters are optional, not required.

Kaspar

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
Quick suggestion:

Make the new dungeons that are being put in far less dependant on mages, yet equally as rewarding. Could even try to make the dungeons more fighter required, as stated earlier. Would be neat. :D

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
Quick suggestion:

Make the new dungeons that are being put in far less dependant on mages, yet equally as rewarding. Could even try to make the dungeons more fighter required, as stated earlier. Would be neat. :D

Yeah! and a Witch hunter faction too...then everyone wins!

Kaspar

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
Quick suggestion:

Make moves to start forming one IC.  Nobodies stopping you.  ;)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
Quick suggestion:

Unfortunately a witch hunter faction would get horribly slaughtered time and time again before it even got off the ground. Most of even the reasonably powered casters can take out half the outskirts. A few non-magical pcs aren't going to do crap

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
Eh. The setting wasn't really made with the intention of people playing a bunch of native non-casters anyway. The entire premise was people falling into the Realms from other places, where magic was more common. If someone wants to play a native Barovian, that's their own issue. Then they can be xenophonic and never have anyone of decent power to party with because they're little scardey-cats where magic is concerned. But it's pretty silly to limit PCs to just fighters and barbarians, making people apply for casters. Probably better to let it sort out ICly. If I were a powerful magician, I might consider killing off other magicians before they grew in power to rival me. That's always why I figured Strahd sorta fostered the anti-witchery sentiment of Barovia. Suits his purpose really.

So it's perfectly OK, to Limit a Fighter Type Character, by Neutering his growth in the form of Items (using Low Magic as the excuse), but to apply a similar restriction or reality (spell components) to a Caster, would be unbearable?  When they originally came out, with the Ravenloft Modules, pre Sword and Sorcery Days, the Idea was of the Drop In, the Outlanders.  When Sword and Sorcery (Arthaus/Whitewolf) liscensed out and built on the Setting info that was previously coming to fruit, they went for the OTHER end, the native player.  The Domain Lord COULD, fix about half the problem.  There are already Other factors in game that would help as well, but they Just, Don't, Do it.  Because it would either be "mean", in the views of a computer game player (even if perfectly appropriate), OR, they don't want the hassle of the OOC fall Out and retribution that will surely fall upon them.

Explains having a Players Hand Book and a DM's guide for the setting.  Sure you still have your Outlanders, but now, you could play natives.  Granted, writer debacles occured and What not but they did Produce, a rather nice setting for Native Play.  It just made to Outlander game difficult.  Unbalancing.

First off, Rex, no one is belittling englefire's viewpoint which I believe is still very valid.

I do agree with some of your points you raise Rex. Magic people have replaced magic items. However, you point out the problems, but you do not offer any solutions. Applications for caster classes isn't a road I think the server should go down. The DMs and Community Council are busy as it is with other applications, and alot of players will turn away from a game where you need to apply to play a wizard/sorcerer/cleric/bard/ranger/paladin.. It should be down to the players to enforce the setting and should always bear the setting in mind when creating their characters.

Another point, is that half of the base classes have some sort of spellcasting ability. This means that of course there is going to be an uneven amount of spellcasters present among PCs.

What I would like to say is the 'win at all costs' attitude that influences OOC decisions into people making casters to 'beat the server' should not be encouraged. I am by no means saying that every caster player does this, and perhaps there is another reason for the influx of caster classes on the server. However I believe that players that truely want to experience the ravenloft atmoshphere and feel of the setting will go ahead and play the so called 'gimped' classes. There will always be players who make casters for the sole purpose of beating the dungeons. However in the long run I believe the former group will get far more enjoyment.

Never said anyone WAS belittling his point.  I said, don't get Side Tracked by those that don't agree with it.  There is a very Vocal minority here that is really good at circling the wagons and making people feel bad about their post, before one even gets to see development out of it.  What gets belittled are those that Stick to their Guns in the form of Conforming to the setting as opposed to trying tro Win the Game, and there are a lot of those people.  If you doubt the "I'm a Caster/Sneak Multiclass in Order to Win"  All you have to do, is look through the other threads.  There is a big difference between making a balance point, and going, Where's My Stuff to Blast, Gimme my Loot.

Rex, no one ever said that his opinion wasn't valid.  The fact is that this isn't something worth debating.  Why?  Becuase to 'change' the server to have less casters would require something that would inevitably make the server empty out from pissed off community members.  You'd have to tell players to stop making casters, and no one's going to put up with that, since there already are casters.  It's bad enough that we're taking out items from the module, yet players who have the said items get to keep them, thus leaving newer characters unhappy that they're not old-school-enough to have the specific gear.

IF you're going to play a non-caster who holds a grudge against all forms of magic, then that's your cup of tea.  No one is going to criticize your RP, and you shouldn't critcize theirs.  If one player feels they get better RP out of playing overt or covert witches, let them!  What's going to happen?  Is your immersion completly destroyed because someone chose 'rogue' or 'wizard' on their character sheet, and that they're, OMG, using stealth & flinging fireballs?

There's more important things worth debating than critiquing a form of role-play.  No one should have to feel like they're damping down the server becuase they decided to choose a caster as their class.  And Engelfire, it's not your fault.  Everyone has those urges to post a discussion on a topic that's irritating.  The only problem is that whenever these discussions start, they usually end from a lock since we, as a community, tend to branch off into right vs. not right.

Now ... I will make one statement on this matter, but it won't be relevant since it would only apply tothe future (NWN2).  If the majority of the community and devs feel that we should have a setting where classes (like casters) are restricted, then that restriction should be applied before a server goes open beta from closed.  That way, you won't have a special section of players who got to have access to something that no one else has.

Once again, posted nothing about his opinion being belittled or classified as Invalid by others, but now that the point was made, as any english major should know, when someone presents an opening argument in a debateable forum, and some of the first answers, are, "This Topic is Irrelevant."  That, in and of itself, is a statement proclaiming, the others viewpoint wasn't valid.  It meant nothing in other words, no leg to stand upon.  Now on to the second part....

Actually, I am playing, a Pile of Native to the Setting people, BUT, *drum cue*, I also Play CASTERS.  So I am not holding a grudge against those that like to play Casters no matter how many times I trip over a hasted Acid Sheathed Troll zipping out of some dungeon I just lead a small party of folk to.  I'm holding out for a balance, for the NON Caster side of the Plate to get something.  For the time, when that Troll, or hasted Invisable Bard goes rushing into a Dungeon, that they have to rush back out and go get a FIGHTER, to help.

Again, no one is Critiquing a FORM OF ROLE PLAY.  Not once, did anyone get their level of RP critiqued, However, if there are any volunteers that are willing to sign a waiver, I will be happy to do so.  In another thread.

*Looks over the Quote*  Oh yeah, sometimes when you are Right, you are actually Right.  Regardless of weather or not it turns into a Side vs Side argument, that's basically the way the Universe Operates.  Chaos and Order, Right and Wrong, Life and Death, Winners and Losers.  You need progressive Dynamics in order to Advance in anything.  Even if one were to go the route of "In Game" to fix it, based on Supportable IC reasoning, the Fall out, would be nothing but OOC hatred and Venom for the person(s) that decided to do so........

Back to Mephisto.  I DID, offer solutions.  Proven Ones that work.  If you take Items away from the Fighters, which makes people turn to Caster Classes, then Assign the appropriate Limiters to the CASTERS, such as components, and seprate study time for spells, By The Book results of Spells like XP loss, and now they are at least, on the same Page as the non Caster, per setting.  There is a Balance, to their now as it stands, Exponentially growing disruptive effect upon the enviroment of the game.  An Application Process is NOTHING.  Done it in my Admin days for things a lot more long term impacting and potentially disruptive then a DnD sheet.  Any DM can also, level the playing field a bit by Applying the DM side to the equation, and do some DM things, for the Non Caster side of the server once in awhile.  Right now with Casters being Unfettered by anything, the few factors left to balance them, mean nothing (those being Hitpoints, AC, etc) since the things that kept them from bypassing their Innate Class restrictions (components mostly), kept them grounded.  And finally, the Witch Hunter Faction.  Doable, but you have to be Proactive.  That means, More Stabbing and Burning, Less talky talky posture pose.  That's how villages with Pitchforks and Torches, beat Monsters and Witches.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
Pure melee is sorta supposed to be at a disadvantage, really. Remember the old Conan books? Conan kicked a lot of butt, but the minute there was some wizard around... everyone was scared shitless, Conan was scared, etc. You need a mage to fight a mage. Humans fight humans. If you're a badass like Conan, maybe you fight monsters...

But they're usually the monsters the wizards summoned. :-P

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
Quick suggestion:

Not good enough...

We need the back-up and blessings of Strahd Himself and the equipment and personnel specialized to take down those Mages. I'm not talking about normal people, I'm talking about something of a cross between Van Hellsing, My Grand Alchemist idea, and a medieval Q (Q as in the genius from the Bond movies). Players would be kind volunteer agents or agents themselves, and have NPC support like in the good ol days of the old guard for the "heavy duty" mages that can kill half the outskirts, and yes it could be done with damn good planning, psychological warfare, and personnel. Although it would be easier to get the mage through a wanted poster, these guys would be undercover, secret, and get them while they aren't wanted, get them in the act or while they are snoozing off thinking they got off free.

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
Send in the Vampire Spawn!

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
While I do think Strahd would be keeping tabs on them, I do not think he would be necessarily eliminating them all. Mages are useful, after all. And he has forever to live. Elimination is for short-lived mortals. Not as much so for eternal vampire darklords. :-P

Besides, that DM sanction Strahd hit-squads would just turn into another permadeath fiasco without competent DMs really getting their hands in the entire mess and constantly managing the intrigues. There's enough BS dealing with the current permadeath problems anytime a witch is snagged by the guard. Having a Darklord going after mages, using his more extreme powers to find and eliminate them, would just be one-sided and pretty pointless.  :-P Because you'd never ever be allowed to "win" against Strahd, or even make a dent.

Wanna make a witch-hunting squad... bring it on. But if the permadeath nonsense is being thrown around, you should accept that just by being a witch-hunter the consequences apply back onto you.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
Some ideas that may help make PoTM more, truly, low magic:

:arrow: Remove the UMD skill.
:arrow: Allow casters to only recover spells once per IG day, regardless of rests.
:arrow: For the semi casters (paladins, rangers, bards, etc.) remove all spell slots above level 3.
:arrow: Spells components.
:arrow: Reduce the need for magic weapons by limiting the number of critters with DR. More things that require cold iron, copper, or silver, and less that need +1.
:arrow: DM's need to take a more active role in keeping magic users in the shadows. Most players are too liberal about casters to truly curtail them.
:arrow: Allow scrolls only to be used to transcribe into a spell book, and not cast.
:arrow: Create an automated script that runs DP checks on the appropriate spells without the need for DM oversight. (This will make evil casters more rare, since this change would make being a caster a terminal disease practically.)

Some not so specific changes.

Mages/sorcerors don't learn magic overnight. Maybe have them come into the server with just commoner levels (or maybe rogue) until some sort of apprenticeship has been completed. Then relevel them as appropriately.

Same goes for clerics. You don't wake up suddenly with the gods powers at your beck and call. Maybe some form of religious instruction, like a seminary?

If you made becoming a caster work (both in an IC and OOC sort of way), folks may be less inclined to chose to be them. To me, being a caster is a full time occupation. Casting spells is cool, but the study and devotion should take up a significant part of their lives outside of adventuring.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »
Strahd doesn't care much about mages though there is a faction thats supposed to be specially called upon to handle his enemies. As for dealing with magical threats to the law, see my suggestion about Talena and the Vespertines.

Remove the UMD skill.
Invalidates alot of current characters, major balance change. Would have to be carefully considered.

Allow casters to only recover spells once per IG day, regardless of rests.
Too harsh.

For the semi casters (paladins, rangers, bards, etc.) remove all spell slots above level 3.
They get 4th lvl spells for a -REASON-. I see no reason to remove class features. I give my Paladin 14 wis specifically so they can get Holy Sword later.

Spells components.
Doable but might be too much of a hassle. And Components would have to be nearly weightless, tiny, and alot more damn plentiful then herbs.

Reduce the need for magic weapons by limiting the number of critters with DR. More things that require cold iron, copper, or silver, and less that need +1.
Doable.

DM's need to take a more active role in keeping magic users in the shadows. Most players are too liberal about casters to truly curtail them.
Doable

Allow scrolls only to be used to transcribe into a spell book, and not cast.
Uhh... No?

Create an automated script that runs DP checks on the appropriate spells without the need for DM oversight. (This will make evil casters more rare, since this change would make being a caster a terminal disease practically.)
DP's should always be DM overseen.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Kaspar

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
:arrow: Reduce the need for magic weapons by limiting the number of critters with DR. More things that require cold iron, copper, or silver, and less that need +1.

I really like this suggestion. All in favor!

:thumbup:

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
I disagree with all your disagreements, Kung Fu Orc, but hey, its an open forum, right? Still, these are just suggestions and obviously I'm really more of a hardcore guy when it comes to playing games. I'd be willing to accept all my suggestions immediately.

As for the DP's though, I disagree that they should always be DM overseen. Casting certain spells are supposed to be instant DP Checks. DMs are on often, but they aren't everywhere, all the time. Sure, they can oversee violent acts of evil and whatnot to decide on whether or not to apply a DP Check, but I don't see why they'd need to be present for DP Checks as they relate to the spells that call for them. If you are worried about necromancers spamming Ghoul Touch in an effort to fish for DPs, hand out more DPs that are a severe hinderance to the character concept, rather than one's that compliment them. Besides, I'd see this automated script being the bane and final nail in the coffin of many casters.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
I suggested a DP script some time ago. If I'm not mistaken, I was told no since it would be a resource hog.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
Fighters are often invaluable when battling physical threats, but without magical aid, they can find themselves all but helpless against supernatural foes.
Ravenloft Players handbook, page 51

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
Some ideas that may help make PoTM more, truly, low magic:

:arrow: Remove the UMD skill.
:arrow: Allow casters to only recover spells once per IG day, regardless of rests.
:arrow: For the semi casters (paladins, rangers, bards, etc.) remove all spell slots above level 3.
:arrow: Spells components.
:arrow: DM's need to take a more active role in keeping magic users in the shadows. Most players are too liberal about casters to truly curtail them.
:arrow: Allow scrolls only to be used to transcribe into a spell book, and not cast.
:arrow: Create an automated script that runs DP checks on the appropriate spells without the need for DM oversight. (This will make evil casters more rare, since this change would make being a caster a terminal disease practically.)

Some not so specific changes.

Mages/sorcerors don't learn magic overnight. Maybe have them come into the server with just commoner levels (or maybe rogue) until some sort of apprenticeship has been completed. Then relevel them as appropriately.

Same goes for clerics. You don't wake up suddenly with the gods powers at your beck and call. Maybe some form of religious instruction, like a seminary?

If you made becoming a caster work (both in an IC and OOC sort of way), folks may be less inclined to chose to be them. To me, being a caster is a full time occupation. Casting spells is cool, but the study and devotion should take up a significant part of their lives outside of adventuring.

UMD wouldn't really help the number of casters. It would just keep thieves from putting on their heels of Andral or whatever.

Of course I'm going to hate the "once a day" regaining of spells, unless everyone else is also nerfed to only once a day resting to heal, and all the damned NPC autohealing priests are removed. Most of the big dungeons are going to take more than one "day" to complete, and more than a single rest. In a normal game, you'd pull back and wait a day, rest.... but here, it's lame. You pull back, the dungeon despawns, or half your party decides it's more fun to eat dinner than sit around RPing being camped for two hours. Also, if this change ever were to go into effect, all the buff spells that had their durations changes would need to be changed back.

Don't really think removing spells above level 3 for the semi-casters would help much either, since you have to be pretty high to get them anyway.

I kinda like the idea of components for Wizards. Would make being a sorcerer more attractive, and the sacrifice of possible known spells more of a trade-off. But, components are a real hassle. And I think there's a bit too much micromanaging going on already, and it's quite dull.

Magic weapons = This isn't really a problem anymore, either. Magic weapons aren't that terribly common anymore. I feel really bad for all the newer PCs who will probably never see one, or who will have to suck Grimshackle's toes to get him to give them one.

Active roll for DMs keeping casters in the shadows, cool. I believe there were some IC organizations in the works, though where they're at, I don't know. Also, I'm leering of too much DM involvement where it comes to things that are just going to end up in permadeathy situations with NPCs that are unbeatable in one-sided constructions.

Eh. I like being able to cast from scrolls. It means that if I want some spells for variety once in a while, I can get them, though mostly they cost a small fortune. Casting from scrolls is one of those time-honoured D&D traditions. No reason to remove that.

Some automated DP script (that stores the rolls, and that a DM could look through) might be interesting. Necromantic spells, and quite a few others, are generally thrown around a lot without much concern. The percentage for most of these spells is pretty small, but it would still make people a little more wary.

Apprenticeship = CRAP. I hate this idea more than I hate ear weevils. First, sorcerers DO pretty much come into their spells unbidden. That's the point of being a sorcerer. As for wizards, you only get a couple of spells upon your level. Anything else has to be found, and inscribed into the book. I'm not sure how that works here, never having played a wizard here, but in past editions there was a chance of failure at transcribing. And, just finding the high level spells is hard here. Beyond a certain level, they rarely every drop and a fair bulk of them are pretty much DM only. I hate the idea of any base PC class being something you have to train for. It's a pain to get a trainer around at the same time. It's a pain to waste a lot of time waiting. And it's a pain to constantly undergo "approval" from an OOC source, which CAN and DO have their own little particular biases against certain players. No way I'd ever sit quietly and let this happen. I'd complain. A lot. ;) It's even lamer with clerics. With the sheer number of worlds and gods, what sort of religious institution would even remotely fit the majority of them? Religion is specific. There's no way this would work.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
I suggested a DP script some time ago. If I'm not mistaken, I was told no since it would be a resource hog.

Eh, maybe with newer hardware from the money being donated, maybe it wouldn't be such a problem with resources.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind having an apprentice for RP purposes though...

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »
Fighters are often invaluable when battling physical threats, but without magical aid, they can find themselves all but helpless against supernatural foes.
Ravenloft Players handbook, page 51

True, but why can't we have a bit more normal enemies? why is 99% of the server Anti melee?

It shouldn't

Apprenticeship = CRAP. I hate this idea more than I hate ear weevils. First, sorcerers DO pretty much come into their spells unbidden. That's the point of being a sorcerer.

I think if you don't start out as a mage, you need to apprentice. Clerics should be fine, as its more a search of a higher power or a search of self that they get their powers. People who start out as mages should be fine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:36:24 PM by hi-di-ho »

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
UMD wouldn't really help the number of casters. It would just keep thieves from putting on their heels of Andral or whatever.

Oh, but it also keeps them from using wands, staves, scrolls, and more. Essentially, making them more mundane and less of a semi-caster. This was what fueled this recommendation.

Of course I'm going to hate the "once a day" regaining of spells, unless everyone else is also nerfed to only once a day resting to heal, and all the damned NPC autohealing priests are removed. Most of the big dungeons are going to take more than one "day" to complete, and more than a single rest. In a normal game, you'd pull back and wait a day, rest.... but here, it's lame. You pull back, the dungeon despawns, or half your party decides it's more fun to eat dinner than sit around RPing being camped for two hours. Also, if this change ever were to go into effect, all the buff spells that had their durations changes would need to be changed back.

Of course, but this is from PnP and what keeps most folks on their toes when playing caster types, because if they expend their energy wantonly, they'll be awefully useless till the next day. Being able to cast less spells creates a lower magic server. You have to remember that when you have a Low Magic server, possessing and using magic is a hardship. We're all used to the High Magic setting of the original products and aren't used to being restricted.

Don't really think removing spells above level 3 for the semi-casters would help much either, since you have to be pretty high to get them anyway.

True, but then an alternative is to remove all their spells entirely. In the Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession game, based on 2nd Edition, the rangers didn't have any spells and I think the paladins were bereft as well. Remember, less spell slots is lower magic for the entire server.

I kinda like the idea of components for Wizards. Would make being a sorcerer more attractive, and the sacrifice of possible known spells more of a trade-off. But, components are a real hassle. And I think there's a bit too much micromanaging going on already, and it's quite dull.

First, you play a sorceror and thus don't have to worry about components really. Second, I think playing a wizard is WAY TOO EASY as it is. There is no studying. We get spells too often. There is no true effort that must be put in to be a wizard. No wonder everyone wants to be one. You can be an arcane battery of destruction with little initiative and maintenance.

Magic weapons = This isn't really a problem anymore, either. Magic weapons aren't that terribly common anymore. I feel really bad for all the newer PCs who will probably never see one, or who will have to suck Grimshackle's toes to get him to give them one.

Ah, you are missing the point. If less monsters require +1 enchantment or higher, and can be instead hit by weapons of different properties, the need for Magic Weapon/GMW would be reduced. Magical swords wouldn't be needed. This helps keep the Low Magic server from becoming dependant on said magic items. Fighters and other mundance characters wouldn't need to rely on those "pocket casters" or having to collect uber gear to be effective.

Active roll for DMs keeping casters in the shadows, cool. I believe there were some IC organizations in the works, though where they're at, I don't know. Also, I'm leering of too much DM involvement where it comes to things that are just going to end up in permadeathy situations with NPCs that are unbeatable in one-sided constructions.

Thing is, players will never truly organize and become some kind of anti-magician faction. Only DMs would be willing to sacrifice NPCs in an effort to battle the mages/witches/etc. Every player would be awefully wary at potentially endangering their PC with permadeath in an effort to hunt magic users.

Eh. I like being able to cast from scrolls. It means that if I want some spells for variety once in a while, I can get them, though mostly they cost a small fortune. Casting from scrolls is one of those time-honoured D&D traditions. No reason to remove that.

Of course there is a reason. If you can't use a scroll to cast a spelll, you have to fall back onto natural talent. No scrolls means lower magic. I can see it being more of a problem with sorcerors, but hey, every class has its pros/negs.

Some automated DP script (that stores the rolls, and that a DM could look through) might be interesting. Necromantic spells, and quite a few others, are generally thrown around a lot without much concern. The percentage for most of these spells is pretty small, but it would still make people a little more wary.

Exactly. Raise Dead requires a DP Check. That would really make you hesitant on raising just anyone. This also means that spell casters are going to go out of their way to not cast anything that brings the Dark Powers attention (though this would be metagaming really). More reluctance at throwing around spells means lower magic.

Apprenticeship = CRAP. I hate this idea more than I hate ear weevils. First, sorcerers DO pretty much come into their spells unbidden. That's the point of being a sorcerer. As for wizards, you only get a couple of spells upon your level. Anything else has to be found, and inscribed into the book. I'm not sure how that works here, never having played a wizard here, but in past editions there was a chance of failure at transcribing. And, just finding the high level spells is hard here. Beyond a certain level, they rarely every drop and a fair bulk of them are pretty much DM only. I hate the idea of any base PC class being something you have to train for. It's a pain to get a trainer around at the same time. It's a pain to waste a lot of time waiting. And it's a pain to constantly undergo "approval" from an OOC source, which CAN and DO have their own little particular biases against certain players. No way I'd ever sit quietly and let this happen. I'd complain. A lot. ;) It's even lamer with clerics. With the sheer number of worlds and gods, what sort of religious institution would even remotely fit the majority of them? Religion is specific. There's no way this would work.

First, with apprenticeship. I think it's also crap how everyone can so easily gain caster levels with impunity, and without the necessary instruction and hardwork that should be required.

Second, with sorcerors. I see them more akin to Aes Sedai from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time than I do as simply waking up one day and knowing how to fling a fireball. Sure, there aren't words or gestures really, but you need to know how to use your will to shape the world to perform the miracles of magic you can wield.

Third, with training. This is my point though. This is why there are so many casters. No work required to be one. This thread was about the overbundance of casters, and I think my point here is one of the reasons why so many exist.

Fourth, as for religion. Natives can join the local churches. Outlanders can continue their religious studies and meditation until one day they connect with their dieties in a way that they know they can wield powers on their behalf (even though its still just the Dark Powers at work). After all, I can create a PC that worships Zendrik's Tod. If I put enough RP into it, the Dark Powers may even grant me spells.

:arrow: Essentially, all my suggestions when combined all aid towards creating a lower magic server, where magic is rarer. Each does its part, and as a whole would drastically reduce the presence of magic. Still, I think too many folks would prefer a more action-orientated server than try and be true to the source material and theme of the server.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
I usually would just rather assume that, during all the time someone isn't logged on, their wizard is studying and being a good little wizard. Doing all that crap while you've got precious time to be online doing something actually entertaining seems silly.

I don't want there to be a lot of work to being a caster, with OOC approval and all that crap. In a PnP game, you can just whoosh the time by (gee, you've been studying for months, and now it's time to adventure again) but here, with everyone on the same time schedule, all it does is lead to people sitting around trying to eek out RP that's not that interesting, being stuck in some tower trying to learn something. Let them do that to learn those particular hard to find higher level spells, or something.

Again, religious studies and meditations... I'm going to assume clerics are doing this during all that time they're NOT doing something ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING with their characters, ie. when the players are logged off.  If there's something more boring than sitting around meditating, it's sitting around meditating IN A GAME. It's about as pointless as doing drugs in a game. Hey, tons of fun in real life! In game, not so much. Things like that are only fun for the RP they generate, so unless you have other members of your same religion, there's not going to be a lot of RP involved in with you sitting by a brook saying "om" or performing your daily rituals and prayers.

As far as action oriented server, etc... yeah. It's a game. NWN is a visual, action-oriented game. And DnD is based on killing things. Anyone who says differently is a dirty liar. There's a reason you get experience and progress in rank primarily by going out, and killing things. Add up all the XP rewards you get for various things, and murdering your fellow humans and monsters is by far the largest chunk of XP gained.

I'm just going to reverse my position entirely, and say the magic level on the server is fine. :-P Because any yielding to another position, I fear, is just going to end up with things getting nickle-and-dimed away until it's really not entertaining to play here anymore. If people are tired of all the people glowing, make a witch-hunter. And, by the time they've spent long enough to be good at it, they can have a say.... by going out and hunting witches.  Casters spend just as long RPing, grinding their butts in dungeons, and sucking it up as everyone else. Anyone who starts with a pitiful 4 HP per level, and no armor, and no fighting skills is at a disadvantage just as much as a fighter is - just in a different way, and at different times.

Since this thread has sorta winded its way back around to the fighter vs caster thing, do this to help out the fighters:

Make more +2 silver / Cold iron / etc weapons that can affect certain types. If you want to bypass the DRs of a great number of things, the capability is here. It's just a pain and you have to carry more weapons. That's ok, because if you're a fighter, you should have a decent strength.

Add some more items that grant spell-like protections for fighters, and make them more prevalent, so the straight fighters can stop whining. These things ARE out there. I know, because I find them all the time. Items that grant PfE. Items for clarity. Potions for stoneskin, and invisibility. There is an item for every spell Grim has, except maybe Acid Sheath. Maybe polymorph (though that would be a really cool potion.)

With the potion system now, there's no reason not to have access to any number of "spells", except maybe that you can't find someone selling potions like these. To fix this, maybe set up a potion vendor that herbalists can give their potions to, and receive money for the sale. Let them put their own prices on the items, and the system will still work itself out... if they charge too much, people will buy someone elses vendored potions instead. Many of these protections exist now for fighters, just like they do for casters. If you're not finding them, it's because either no one is making them, you don't ICly know the people making them, or you're not skulking around a dungeon enough. :-P

And, if you think it's not IC for your character to use even a potion? Well, you know what? DON'T PLAY A NATIVE BAROVIAN STRAIGHT FIGHTER. Christ's sake.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
I understand that you don't want to devote time to be a caster. I'm just saying that the lack of any real commitment to being a caster is one of the reasons there are so many. The only way to fix the caster issue, I think, is to: make magic less of a necessity for being effective on the server OR make being a caster a true commitment (which I think very few casters are willing to do).

However, I think you saying that making more +2 silver/copper/cold-iron things available is against the low magic concept. Instead, down the DR's to instead being able to being breached by non-magic materials like copper, silver, etc. Same effect, but less additional magic items. Same goes for Fear Auras. Put them on bosses only, or casters capable of casting such (like mummy priests). Adding more magic items just serves to make the server a higher magic one.

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
I still think DMs and players should shift the dynamic of the server and shake things up a bit for the casters  :?

Less changes that need to be, although your ideas are just as good Ethinos