Author Topic: Casters - Too common or illusions of mind  (Read 24491 times)

engelfire

• Dark Power
Casters - Too common or illusions of mind
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
Hello

This topic has been twirling in my mind for quite long actually. Im sure many others been thinkin on it, on a moment or other. This is about the amount of pure casters and multiclassed casters on the game

now for the reference i logged on to the game 15 minutes ago and for own amusement did a small count, out of 15 players (me included) there were 13 casters online... 13 casters, ladies and gentlemen !!

now this ratio is bit too high for my tastes. now bear in mind that this topic is not for class battles, nor im flaming or mocking any caster players. i hope this thread could remain open for good quality discussions

now. this ratio is bit too high, those 13 out of 15 include multiclasses, clerics, mages and so on.. casters. this is actually unfortunate and direct result reflecting the situation of the module. it is hard to survive there, people dont really rely on party power but rather enjoy soloing. thus they need the firepower to manage. i cant blame anyone, its tough as non-caster, i know that quite well

imo this ratio should be brought down a bit, and there has actually been carefull discussion in various moments about making wizards and sorcerers application only classes. before i couldnt stand the idea of such, but now, when in average of 80% of all characters in game are somesort of caster hybrids, id actually would like to go on with that wiz/sorc class on application only. discuss about this and give your constructive opinion so that we may find a good solution

druids have been rather low numbers, but clerics..... clerics clerics clerics....  lets not even go there now. if someone wishes to share their feelings of clerics with others be my quest but dont get this thread locked

my biggest concern, and perhaps even bit of gripe, is the multiclassin bards. now im sure many have rp in mind with these, but one really starts to think that bard class is only taken becouse of the good skillpoints, spells and songs. now majority of the bard multiclasses and even some pure bards have nothing to do with the fact that they've chosen a bard class. its just used as getting spells and edge against the npc monsters there are in the game.

perhaps somesort of solution to bards too is in order

so what others think of this. as a last line in this post, i have started to feel significant decrease in quality of the server in general level becouse theres actually so many casters around these days.

share your feelings
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Casters - Too common or illusions of mind
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
Really want my Opinion?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 01:17:31 PM »
yes

mayvind

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:28 PM »
1.Main class should never have to apply with application.  That what i think.

and as what people take as theirs multiclassing is  theirs business as long it is not conflict with the rules, i see no problem here why should we policing class restriction or even policing people RP background and reason taking those classes?

Does the quality of a person RP drop because they have few bard class? i dunno iam not the judge what i know is i dont go out worrying what people builds are and second guessing theirs motive in having those build iam here to have fun playing and rping.

Is like worrying about nabours buying a SUV or Red SportCar because he only did that to get girls.   :lol:

P.S i like pure caster they are Uber and i been Uber since day one, iam proud of my uberness. Please dont hate/envy my uberness   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:29:06 PM by mayvind »

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
I think it is in part as you say a response to the module. Without protection from evil you can go few places alone, without magic weapon etc etc. Now as it has been stated in the past a fighter enhanced by a spell caster is far more powerful than the spell caster herself, but said fighter is left waiting to be with a spell caster before she can do anything. After 5th lvl or so you are useless alone as an adveturer.

As many know I like to play natives because I feel they are very under represented on the server, but to be a "true" native you can be little other than rp character. 5 fith lvl fighters with no magic items have little hope against the average psychopath that kills folks in the outskirts for kicks. You of course cannot adventure because you need said magic to do so. Now many Barovians and Gunderakites would not go hunt undead, but some would hunt nueri, some would be vrolok hunters and some would try to destroy caves of caliban. But these options are not really there without selling out and then you are considered an Outlander.

Many players obviously take these classes for the power. I can point to numerous players that only make uber spell caster builds so they can pvp. I can point to numerous clerics and bards that do not rp their class or at least don't seem to. But we must be careful when we make these assumptions. Many things happen behind closed doors and many have secret agenda's, especially for native characters.

I for one would love to play a Barovian pure fighter or rogue but I find it hard to balance numerous rp only characters. Other than being a guard, which is great fun, you can do little but be  a fur hunter or some kind of crafter. Even to be a smith you can't get iron without a magic weapon, or coal. If there were fewer manditory spells i.e. Magic weapon, protection from evil etc we would see more of these characters.

~Taty~
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:27:46 PM by Taty »

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »
I know it's easy to say, but it really should not be a response to the module. OOC elements should not effect the way you build or create your character. Yes, there are alot of casters at the moment but I for one do not see a way of preventing this. I would not like to tell people not to play caster characters, indeed it is indifferent to one of the main guidelines of the server which is to play how you want to play as long it harms nobody else.

I do understand Englefire's concerns on this issue, and it is something that DMs have discussed before. You must remember though that player characters- even native player characters- are a relatively small population of Barovia. Outside of the PCs there will not be many caster NPCs at all, among a population of a thousand or so living in Barovia. Most are ordinary farmers, fishermen, merchants, and their families.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
yes i know that. but we cant always rely on that fact. with that logic we could have 40 players, all sorcs, clerics and other casters and justify our choices with the number crunching. oh so what if theres about 40 witches in one square mile, theres thousands of regular farmers in the whole land. actually casters should be so rare that almost no one would ever meet one, they should pretty much stay at the tower and study

on some instances thats ok thing to base choices on, but not at this matter. since we are all concetrated in that small area and cant really spread out becouse of the game limitations. whether we like it or not it will affect our gameplay.

and if server wouldnt be full of monster that need +2 and insane ab to to hit, there would be far less casters around

i know nothing can be done about this, but hopefully it would make people think, do they want to keep server as its ment to be, or do they want another forgotten realms version. and sadly its kinda leaning to forgotten realms at the moment
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:18:13 PM by engelfire »

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
Barbarian - no
Bard - yes
Cleric - yes
Druid - yes
Fighter - no
Paladin yes
monk - no
ranger - yes
Rogue - no (UMD could with scrolls)
Sorcerer- yes
Wizard - yes

4 no  36.4%
7 yes 63.6%

80% isn't far that far off the games norm. Further most rogues and fighters multi anyways.

I've been around to see classes and builds ebb and flow. There's been a Cleric and Rogue/Ranger/Assassin kick over last few months These are PC (specifically wizards) killers. As of the last two weeks I've seen a lot more Paladins. Don't be surprised if a DM asks which god your char prays too and their code. ;)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
My opinion:  Does it really matter if they're too common?  The PC-base is a tiny % compared to the NPCs in the module.  The bash against casters is really irritating at times, becuase it does discourage players who read the forum but don't post.  Those players end up saying "I would play a caster as my alt, but then I know that OOCly, a part of the community will think low of me becuase I decided to make a caster."

Nobody should have to ask themselves if making a caster is going to damper the IC immersion.  If someone wants to make a caster, they can.  I played a non-caster all summer long, and just last week I decided I wanted a new bard.  Should I even be thinking about whether or not it will hurt the environment?  I don't, becuase if I'm enjoying my new character and following OOC rules, then I'm not doing anything wrong.  Everyone chooses their own variety.

And think about it like this:  The not-careful wtiches get burned in the end, one way or the other.  If the whole server one da is full of witches, of which 90% of those witches are playing it safe ... Doesn't that create good role-play of surviving Barovia?  It certainly was fun playing Zecht 2 years ago when he played the early role of keeping his powers completely hidden and using his powers to take down the witches who weren't for the sake of keeping attention off himself.

Seriously, just play the game and stop worrying about what other players are doing.  If they're messing around ICly, that's their fault and business.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
fine fine, this was a mistake apparently

im not frowning anyone and i hope others aint either

this was just my opinion that there are far too many casters around. no need to discuss this more

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »
Seriously, just play the game and stop worrying about what other players are doing.  If they're messing around ICly, that's their fault and business.

If they are doing so, make a witch hunter and do something IC'ly about it. A Rogue/Ranger/Assassins could be well rp'ed as a witch hunter.

Sneaks up behind a unbuffed wizard/sorcerer/cleric/enter name of class here using death attack then pulling back to rp the following as they are stunned.

{grabs the witches hand and shoves it behind his back.}

"Are you a witch?"

"No!" {Dunks head in a toilet.}

"Fess up witch!" {still holding head down as they gurgle.} :twisted:

mayvind

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 04:00:26 PM »

If they are doing so, make a witch hunter and do something IC'ly about it. A Rogue/Ranger/Assassins could be well rp'ed as a witch hunter.

Sneaks up behind a unbuffed wizard/sorcerer/cleric/enter name of class here using death attack then pulling back to rp the following as they are stunned.

{grabs the witches hand and shoves it behind his back.}

"Are you a witch?"

"No!" {Dunks head in a toilet.}

"Fess up witch!" {still holding head down as they gurgle.} :twisted:

I miss that witch hunter npc ... Victor Noigrim ?? Yves was gonna take him out but then she dropped 8 levels so it was postpone! bring him back so Yves can kill him !!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
fine fine, this was a mistake apparently

im not frowning anyone and i hope others aint either

this was just my opinion that there are far too many casters around. no need to discuss this more

First off don't let people side track you.  You have an exceptionally valid point and coming from a member of the community that has played through as many different versions, and many of the different factions as you have, your opinion, should be heard.

Regardless of the "Just let sleeping Dogs Lie" saying, Sometimes, You need to kick the fleabag in the ribs, and dump it into the Flea bath.

There are to many Casters.  The Setting is supposed to be Low Magic.  States that, in every Venue it floats around in.  However we know this to be an erroneous Saying anyway.  The Form of Low Magic that we have is basically a Curtailing of Magic ITEMS, of a certain type and Scope.  This is fine, because in Low Magic, there are not supposed to be Sword Marts on every street corner, selling +4 Swords Dancing Defenders to Adventurers with enough Coin.  However, that niche was filled incorrectly.  By Ineffective Items that though they read well, you can NOT use them effectively to get around, the developed structure of the setting.

In short, this means, Fighters, and Barbarians, are screwed.  They at best, get a +1 AB weapon, which, after 9th level or so really isn't all that helpful to their XP gathering.  While the Casters can charge screaming into a dungeon, Acid Sheathed and Troll Formed and hasted, the Fighter, well, he can't go.  The Casters Like the Solo Hero spotlight to, 90% of them, don't take along anyone but other Casters.  Why bother to bring a Fighter, since you need Magic to "win" anyway there is no point.  Barbarians have a minor advantage now that with the new feat stuff they can match the "old" fighter in terms of details, and out perform him in terms of kicking down doors and such.

So we know that our version of Low Magic, is a bit skewed.  Low Magic Item of CONSEQUENCE, is the way I like to put it, unless you are one of the privileged VERY few.  Sometimes you have to call a Spade a Spade.

What is missing from OUR Low Magic, is by definition of the term, from a Literary Bible point of scope, is that we replaced Magic ITEMS, with Magic PEOPLE.  Who needs a sword +2 when you can just make a Cleric, who now has feats approaching a fighters range, take martial weapons and later when you get GMW, you win, fighter loses.  Class Warfare, No.  Truth.  Yes.

If you were to Reduce all these Items, from Full magic +'s, to AB +'s, (and even then mostly against specific things), remove stat adders (But replace that with PILES of skill adders that give sneaks the stealth ability of a GOD for example), Generally make +2 impossible unless you have connections, +3 UNHEAD OF.  Why are the magic People, not submitted, to the same Reduction of Ability?  The Fighter type as they level up, get Better, and Better GEAR.  It's standardized into the game itself when you go to make, well, PnP NPC's and Heroes.  Level X, has Item Package X, Modified by setting.  So what we have now, is an allergic reaction to Vanilla.  If you are a Fighter for the most part you are forced to Multiclass, into Rogue (for UMD), or something that gives you, Magic Spells so you can get around the fear and the DR everything has.  So, not a lot of Pure Fighters.  And before the Old Guard sounds off, DP riddled, Old Gear that no one else can get anymore PC's, need not respond.  Not meant to be harsh, but that's a separate balance issue that belongs in a different thread.

Some people as I have stated.  Stick to their Guns.  They don't Grab levels of Caster or Sneak, without Insanely developed Reason.  Hell, if some of them want to Pick Locks with their Fighter, they spend the skill points.  Are they noted for this, acknowledged?  No.  Folks call them Stupid (While immediately going on the defensive if even a stiff breeze blows against them), talk down to them, make fun of them.  But then, THOSE people, shrug it off.  Because they are PLAYING the setting.  Not trying to beat it.  They get basically no recognition for it, unless they speak up in threads like this then they become ground zero for the Hater bomb.  But they know the others like them got their back, so they weather the slings and arrows and continue to play on.

The Skewed Structure is further reflected in the fact that while Fighters and their spin offs (Even the Semi Casters like Rangers and Paladins)  get fubared by the Gear issue, and the standards of practice of Not putting what gear remains into the game, the CASTERS (beyond a few nerfs that really have NO IMPACT beyond having to recast light a few times), were left alone Scott free.  Low Magic, also means, LOW MAGIC USERS.  Magic, is simple NOT COMMON.  That also includes, people that use it.  Of those people, there are Restrictions upon the Magic.  Like, dare I say, Components, environmental requirements/restrictions, special teachers, pacts, the works.  We don't have that here.  Casters were allowed to charge into a Low Magic Setting, en'masse, at Full Power for the Most part, and because of that power, the development of the land was further skewed to require even MORE magic to "win", producing more multi classes and more casters.  Multi-Classes got so prevalent, FEATS were adjusted to encourage single classes.  Single Class Casters that no longer had to sacrifice a level to pick up those few pesky additional feats.  Something meant to curtail the rash of Multiclassing, simply ended up making Casters even MORE powerful.

Fighter does get a couple of slots he can spend on spell saves now.  Not much of a trade off but sometimes it's handy.

There are, as I said, FAR to many Casters in the game.  Log on with 20 people, 18 of them are Casters, Ones a rogue, that next week will rebuild into an assassin making them a semi caster.  Sure, people like to play Casters.  I understand that.  People like to play VAMPIRES to, yet they are regulated.  Same with any other Monster PC, 90% of the Races, and All of the prestige Classes.  Many folks may not think it's an issue, hell if Rex sounds off about it, it's guaranteed a certain group of people will immediately start the jihad (durka durka, durka Jihad Durka), but when a player like Englefire brings up something, folks throw rocks at him for expressing an opinion.  Hmmph.   That alone shows that his concerns, are based in fact.

As for that Excuse of "Well Make something and Handle it IC!".  I'm sure that gets followed up in another thread, pertaining to how someones Caster / Monster was meta Gamed by a Witch Hunter.  Or witch goes and get's their 20th level friends they suddenly have to keyhole you into a small box somewhere forever.  Doesn't work.

Some simple changes such as implementing components, fix a lot of the Caster Issues.  Application Process fixes another Part, DM's get the rest.  Problem solved, time to get back to Playing the Game, instead of trying to WIN the Game.   

In finalization, if anyones feelings were hurt, can't really do much about it.  If I post I like the Green Bay Packers, some one will fire off on how as a Bear fan they are highly Insulted.  Can't please everyone, so take this as an across the table discussion.  Want what I really think with out the PG13 editing, well, send me a PM.  Otherwise I have considerably more I can add to this one as well.

~Rex 

Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
Eh. The setting wasn't really made with the intention of people playing a bunch of native non-casters anyway. The entire premise was people falling into the Realms from other places, where magic was more common. If someone wants to play a native Barovian, that's their own issue. Then they can be xenophonic and never have anyone of decent power to party with because they're little scardey-cats where magic is concerned. But it's pretty silly to limit PCs to just fighters and barbarians, making people apply for casters. Probably better to let it sort out ICly. If I were a powerful magician, I might consider killing off other magicians before they grew in power to rival me. That's always why I figured Strahd sorta fostered the anti-witchery sentiment of Barovia. Suits his purpose really.

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »
First off, Rex, no one is belittling englefire's viewpoint which I believe is still very valid.

I do agree with some of your points you raise Rex. Magic people have replaced magic items. However, you point out the problems, but you do not offer any solutions. Applications for caster classes isn't a road I think the server should go down. The DMs and Community Council are busy as it is with other applications, and alot of players will turn away from a game where you need to apply to play a wizard/sorcerer/cleric/bard/ranger/paladin.. It should be down to the players to enforce the setting and should always bear the setting in mind when creating their characters.

Another point, is that half of the base classes have some sort of spellcasting ability. This means that of course there is going to be an uneven amount of spellcasters present among PCs.

What I would like to say is the 'win at all costs' attitude that influences OOC decisions into people making casters to 'beat the server' should not be encouraged. I am by no means saying that every caster player does this, and perhaps there is another reason for the influx of caster classes on the server. However I believe that players that truely want to experience the ravenloft atmoshphere and feel of the setting will go ahead and play the so called 'gimped' classes. There will always be players who make casters for the sole purpose of beating the dungeons. However in the long run I believe the former group will get far more enjoyment.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
Rex, no one ever said that his opinion wasn't valid.  The fact is that this isn't something worth debating.  Why?  Becuase to 'change' the server to have less casters would require something that would inevitably make the server empty out from pissed off community members.  You'd have to tell players to stop making casters, and no one's going to put up with that, since there already are casters.  It's bad enough that we're taking out items from the module, yet players who have the said items get to keep them, thus leaving newer characters unhappy that they're not old-school-enough to have the specific gear.

IF you're going to play a non-caster who holds a grudge against all forms of magic, then that's your cup of tea.  No one is going to criticize your RP, and you shouldn't critcize theirs.  If one player feels they get better RP out of playing overt or covert witches, let them!  What's going to happen?  Is your immersion completly destroyed because someone chose 'rogue' or 'wizard' on their character sheet, and that they're, OMG, using stealth & flinging fireballs?

There's more important things worth debating than critiquing a form of role-play.  No one should have to feel like they're damping down the server becuase they decided to choose a caster as their class.  And Engelfire, it's not your fault.  Everyone has those urges to post a discussion on a topic that's irritating.  The only problem is that whenever these discussions start, they usually end from a lock since we, as a community, tend to branch off into right vs. not right.

Now ... I will make one statement on this matter, but it won't be relevant since it would only apply tothe future (NWN2).  If the majority of the community and devs feel that we should have a setting where classes (like casters) are restricted, then that restriction should be applied before a server goes open beta from closed.  That way, you won't have a special section of players who got to have access to something that no one else has.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
And on another note, since I was about to take care of someting IRL but forgot to note it:  Fighters have a role in a party.  I can't stand it when people post saying that fighters are a useless class.

Once upon a time, there was a level 15 bard named James Ladimor Summerlin and a level 15 barbarian (NO multiclasses) named Willem Nottiam.  Everywhere James and Willem went, James uber-buffed the living hell out of Willem, and Willem's kill-ratio compared to James was massive.  You can't tell me that a non-caster, when buffed by a caster, is useless.

Once upon a time, there was a level 20 Negnar buffed by 2 near 20 casters, Zecht and Gar.  Negnar, was 1-shot killing everything with his axe.  You can't tell me that a non-caster, when buffed by a caster, is useless.

Once upon a time, there was a level 19 Grimshackle buffing a level 14 rogue/ranger/assassin Mykel.  Mykel, despite not being a caster, mollested everything by acting like a rogue:  Flanking, while Grimshackle fights.  You can't tell me that a non-caster, when buffed by a caster, is useless.

~

End conclusion?  Party.  Party.  Party.

If you don't want to party with the casters, then that's your funeral.  If I have to, I will make a pure fighter for the sole purpose of showing that it's very easy for a non-caster to rock in the presence of partying.  It won't be the first time I've designed characters like this.

If you see casters partying with non-casters that aren't buffing the non-casters with essential buffs (If they don't have enough spells, this doesn't count, I'm talking about giving GMW, Keen Edge, Bull's, etc.), then your caster isn't playing smart.

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
I think most people make a tradeoff when making a character. Leveling is slow, the world is dangerous and penalties for death are harsh (weeks to months of invested time). Unless you're a masochist you don't like to be kicked around and forced into submission or hiding all the time. So you make a character that is fun to play and has a decent chance of survival.

Since the world is low magic and there are many monsters that can only be hit by magic or have fear aura's a few first level spells like Protection from Evil and Magic Weapon have a tremendous survivability value. So people will get them, one way or the other.

A possible solution would be more monsters who use dispels or spell breaches to strip buffs from casters. Get some low level dispellers among the monsters and multiclassers will get in troube while full casters wont be bothered.

Just knowing there can be dispellers ahead will make life less predictable, and thus more dangerous, for casters.

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
My caster never parties because she doesn't want people to KNOW she's a caster.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
I actually agree with Engelfire regarding the large percentage of casters, and also with a few of your conclusions Rex. Casters have it easy to the point of causing boredom once you know the few tricks for each dungeon.

To your point, perhaps in time the devs will implement a spell component requirement, but their time is limited. Their focus is to adding differing areas for the players is higher priority then fixing something which is questionable as to if it is truly broken. As an aside :thumbup: to the Dev team for providing an awesome environment.

Regarding spell components, this will have other cause and effect changes on the environment. Perhaps an increase in Paladins for their immunity to fear so they don't require PfE, or an increase in rogues and bard with insane UMD whom purchase scrolls from wizards when the scroll scribing is implemented. All high STR chars to beat the DR wielding two handed weapons, and to carry the arsenal require to beat the DR. Base class choices may change, but I bet people will still multiclass that fighter to a Rogue with UMD, or a wizard for some spell casting. ;)

Base classes will never require an application, I'll vote it down every time. Mephisto has it right:
I would not like to tell people not to play caster characters, indeed it is indifferent to one of the main guidelines of the server which is to play how you want to play as long it harms nobody else.

And on another note, since I was about to take care of someting IRL but forgot to note it:  Fighters have a role in a party.  I can't stand it when people post saying that fighters are a useless class.

Examples  :thumbup:
~

End conclusion?  Party.  Party.  Party.

Agree 100%. Nothing like a buffed warrior.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »
honestly I support the idea of an application process for casters, the amount of casters is a little overbalanced in the way of amounts and power. However I don't think the application process should be insanely difficult either, just mainly that the wannabe caster player knows whats in store for them on the server and what the server setting is all about and how they plan on fitting into the server. And this would mainly be so that the CC and DM's have an idea of who they'll be dealing with. Otherwise honestly, aside from a miniscule few most of the casters I'm aware of on the server are well played to the setting, and those I'm not aware of.. well they're doing an exceptional job :P

Going to take a page out of Rexs book.
Had more to this post however, if anyone is interested they can...

PM me for details

edit: and I hate it when posting something there are 4 or 5 more replies in the meantime that make your post seem out of context :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:09:22 PM by Lyrithean »

hi-di-ho

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
Probably better to let it sort out ICly. If I were a powerful magician, I might consider killing off other magicians before they grew in power to rival me. That's always why I figured Strahd sorta fostered the anti-witchery sentiment of Barovia. Suits his purpose really.

I think that's what the server might need: a Strahd sanctioned faction (perhaps of recent make, due to outlander activity outside his City of Vallaki) of witch hunters to hunt down Publicically showing off mages or known powerful mages.If your a mage, and you walk into a dungeon throwing fireballs, and then turn around to see a Witch hunter and his friends, expect them to try to escape, call in back up, and send the wrath of Witch Hunters Corps. on your @$$ or take you on by his/her own (Probably not much sneaking, but maybe alot of devices and "holy" or "Ancestral" (magic) items being used against mages), even Vardo shadowdancers and magic users should be afraid!

This would discourage...flamboyant uses of magic, make mages/shadowdances more paranoid and underground to allow them to unite or kill each other off in order to keep their secret from others, encourage the use of melee protection (because they need to be undercover), encourage them to be part time with a magic-less alt character, encourage the use of equipment and skills might not benefit the caster, but benefit for their survival, and add a whole new layer of gameplay and RP for mages and shadowdancers: Giving them a challenge

Once upon a time, there was a level 15 bard named James Ladimor Summerlin and a level 15 barbarian (NO multiclasses) named Willem Nottiam.  Everywhere James and Willem went, James uber-buffed the living hell out of Willem, and Willem's kill-ratio compared to James was massive.  You can't tell me that a non-caster, when buffed by a caster, is useless.

Once upon a time, there was a level 20 Sorcerer, a level high-teens fighter, and a level 14 fighter/rog/WM, and pwned a shadow dragaon. Your point is invalid here

Pure Melee is useless alone... thats the issue.

Although Fighters might be a good addition to the party, they are, and shall always be: Optional, not required.

I think we need to "up" the need of the fighter, like stated above. Give Mages a damn good reason they would want a fighter

edit: and I hate it when posting something there are 4 or 5 more replies in the meantime that make your post seem out of context :P

I feel ya pain
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:13:45 PM by hi-di-ho »

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Fighters are not useless, they're great for low level spellcasters to buff up. But unless that high level spellcaster is of a generous nature and decides to throw the fighter player a bone they're really not needed at higher levels. I think the fact that there are far more places a high level caster can solo where a higher level fighter can't prove that point. In your examples I don't really think that a fighter was even required. Were they helpful and probably made the dungeon easier? Yes.. but really required?

edit: Dammit Hi-di-ho.. I need to stop posting at work.. so I can get the post finished before someone invalidates it before I'm done.. again..

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
Barbarian - no
Bard - yes
Cleric - yes
Druid - yes
Fighter - no
Paladin yes
monk - no
ranger - yes
Rogue - no (UMD could with scrolls)
Sorcerer- yes
Wizard - yes

4 no  36.4%
7 yes 63.6%
I dunno...labelling the Ranger class as spellcasters seems kind of like calling John Travolta an airplane pilot.  Sure, he can fly a Cessna (or larger aircraft) and he has a pilot license and his own airfield.  But we all know what Travolta's really famous for.  :p

Rangers mostly fight, sneak, detect and/or call in an animal or two to handle all the heavy lifting.  Magic's just a little something they do on the side.  Granted, it's pretty nice to cast Magic Fang on a companion animal and keep the critter healed and/or buffed while it does all the fighting, but rangers really don't belong in the same seating section as the fifty-billion wizards and clerics out there.  :?

The off-hand attacks are pretty nice too.  "Oh, I'm sorry, Ms. Werefox!  Do my extra attacks and my Favored Enemy: Shapechangers keep knocking you around and disrupting your spells?  Terribly sorry about that."   :lol:

Actually, since this is already a custom hak server you do have the option to add some non-magical classes.

Here are some examples from the PRC.  Maybe you can snag the code or build your own:

http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=125
http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=254
http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=59
http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=141
http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=55
http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php?location=manual&lang=en&section=base_classes&page=63
Ooh, that Brawler class looks pretty cool.  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:34:10 PM by Wids »