Author Topic: Spells - Continual Flame duration is too short  (Read 8187 times)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Spells - Continual Flame duration is too short
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Which still brings us back to the point that Light, doesn't last long enough to be useful given the speed of game time (even extended versions), and Continual Flame, Should go back to being Continual.

~Rex

Light = turns/level (One real life minute per level)
Continual Light = hours/level (Six real life minutes per level)

How's that? I don't like permanent, magical light sources for some reason.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »
Which still brings us back to the point that Light, doesn't last long enough to be useful given the speed of game time (even extended versions), and Continual Flame, Should go back to being Continual.

~Rex

Light = turns/level (One real life minute per level)
Continual Light = hours/level (Six real life minutes per level)

How's that? I don't like permanent, magical light sources for some reason.

Someone said they didn't want continual flame to take up one of their spell slots, so I guess the suggestions they should be making are:

a) Does continual flame keep the suggested duration until it wears off, or does it wear off when the caster rests?

b) Does continual flame dispell when the caster chooses to dispell all self contained spell effects?

c) Can continual flame be dispelled by dispell magic?

d) (It's been so long since I've used the spell, so I don't remember if you can cast it on others or not, but assuming you can:) If someone else hits you with a continual flame, how can you put it out if [a)] the spell does not go away on rest or [b)] definately wouldn't go away when the casters self contained spells are dispelled.

When making suggestions, all of these problematic scenarios should be evaluated and given possible solutions by the suggesters.

P.S. Those problems tie in to the duration... which is why I quoted Ethanos.  Because really we're discussing not only the duration, but if the duration carries past a rest and the problems beyond that.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
We didn't arbitrarly change the durations for the sake of it though. The change was made because Ravenloft is a gothic horror setting where night is dark and dreadful. Having to rely on a torch or a lantern to light yourself is much more gothic than casting a permanent light spell on your shield/sword/armor or having a giant light radius.

If you want light, carry a lantern or a torch. If you don't have one, you can enchant one for some time with continual light or have a short duration low blue light around you.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
We didn't arbitrarly change the durations for the sake of it though. The change was made because Ravenloft is a gothic horror setting where night is dark and dreadful. Having to rely on a torch or a lantern to light yourself is much more gothic than casting a permanent light spell on your shield/sword/armor or having a giant light radius.

If you want light, carry a lantern or a torch. If you don't have one, you can enchant one for some time with continual light or have a short duration low blue light around you.

Right but the problem with that logic is the people just go.....Fine....>Continual Flame is useless.....*Turns Gama way up at night, hunts with the Tab Key*.  That some time, is effectively No Time, especially if it's a bit laggy.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

failed.bard

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35:36 PM »

Would it be possibly to decrease the light radius of continual light to 5m, and up the duration some, as a comprimise?  In most cases dim lighting is what the area was intended for, and a low glow, torch free or not, won't hurt the mood of it.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 03:37:20 AM »

Would it be possibly to decrease the light radius of continual light to 5m, and up the duration some, as a comprimise?  In most cases dim lighting is what the area was intended for, and a low glow, torch free or not, won't hurt the mood of it.

Make it more torch Like in effect would be helpful.  Lot of the Light things are way to bright.

~Rex

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »
I have an issue with the change of Continual Flame. I agree that the Devs were trying to keep the mood of the setting and all which is why they changed the spell to temporary and I agree to some degree with it. However, now there is a flaw. The title of the spell is "Continual Flame" problem is it is not continual. Hence spell does not work how spell description says how it should work. Since the change I've had take the view that the Dark Powers prevent it from operating the way it should which is the only way I can justify the change IG. However, and correct me if I am wrong, other spells that are effected this way in Ravenloft  are not prevented from what they do they are just made less effective. Thus in my judgement a more appropriate change would have been to reduce its lighting radius rather than its duration. To me this would be more effective in any case as having a light that only illuminates say ten or even five feet around you is more mood setting then having it only last a certain period of time. Duration time run out? Rest up relearn, on we go again. At certain level you can do this with little trouble. Short light radius... Well I can see about five feet in all direction, but ah... What's beyond that, hope nothing bad? If I move to see it could be my last mistake... You get what I saying here yes?

Just my two cents.

failed.bard

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 07:57:50 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but the lighting in this pic was done with five light spells, and lasted for 2 in games hours before needing to be recast.  Due to the insane brightness of the magical torches everyone had, in this case the light spell was actually more appropriate mood lighting.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
I have an issue with the change of Continual Flame. I agree that the Devs were trying to keep the mood of the setting and all which is why they changed the spell to temporary and I agree to some degree with it. However, now there is a flaw. The title of the spell is "Continual Flame" problem is it is not continual. Hence spell does not work how spell description says how it should work. Since the change I've had take the view that the Dark Powers prevent it from operating the way it should which is the only way I can justify the change IG. However, and correct me if I am wrong, other spells that are effected this way in Ravenloft  are not prevented from what they do they are just made less effective. Thus in my judgement a more appropriate change would have been to reduce its lighting radius rather than its duration. To me this would be more effective in any case as having a light that only illuminates say ten or even five feet around you is more mood setting then having it only last a certain period of time. Duration time run out? Rest up relearn, on we go again. At certain level you can do this with little trouble. Short light radius... Well I can see about five feet in all direction, but ah... What's beyond that, hope nothing bad? If I move to see it could be my last mistake... You get what I saying here yes?

Just my two cents.

I would MUCH rather see it go to a reduced form of Lighting equal to what a torch SHOULD be, and go back to being Continual Flame.  1st off, it makes the spell Useful again, 2nd, Continual Flame, can be dispelled, so it's not like it's a permanent thing.

~Rex

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Agreed, I would like to see it changed back to that as well.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »
Me 3

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

JayeAeotiv

• Undead Slayer
  • don't make me crash this car
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 01:51:57 AM »
I agree also.  Is this thread the proper avenue to recommend this, or is there a proper way to request this from the dev team?

Only problem I see is that I imagine continual flame is probably pretty low on the dev's laundry list of things to do.
--
Zook Firestarter | Jaye

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 04:15:40 AM »
I can only assume that it was switched to temp mode and undoing that would be reletively easy. That being said I'm sure they will hear of our recommendations eventually ;)