Author Topic: Creature Haloes - Idea  (Read 1790 times)

Serevain

• Undead Master
Creature Haloes - Idea
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »
Was thinking, that if we couldn't see haloes around people, it would add to the dark element of the server, making it harder to discern backdrop from lurking horrors. Just an idea. I'd be much more scared of a werewolf horde if I couldn't spam my tooltip key to get a body count.

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Creature Haloes - Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
You can't, that's just the way the NWN1 engine works. People have been asking for this to change since NWN was first released and Bioware has stated that it's not so easy to remove.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »
Yeah I wish it would go away, you wouldn't see so many "Can't See In the Dark" people running full tilt towards monsters in no light environments.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
While it is quite cheesy to hit tab - or whatever you have this function configured as - keep in mind that a lot of areas in Ravenloft are very dark!  I've found that this function is invaluable in such areas, where I normally would not be able to see items on the ground or some of the smaller monsters coming at me.

The definition of creatures and items in the dark also relies on such things as visual settings and resolution... so the 'halo' also functions as a great equalizer.  I know if this function were removed, I wouldn't be visiting such places as the orphanage, where it would be nigh impossible to target the HiPS spamming undead gremishkas amongst all the fog - it's already pretty damn hard to target them *with* the key.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
On the other hand, the monsters CAN see us no matter how dark it is. Even with elven see in the dark i have to hit the tab key to see whats coming at me. Monsters just know through the AI where the meat is at, they dont really need eyes to see, the pathing does it all for them.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
While it is quite cheesy to hit tab - or whatever you have this function configured as - keep in mind that a lot of areas in Ravenloft are very dark!  I've found that this function is invaluable in such areas, where I normally would not be able to see items on the ground or some of the smaller monsters coming at me.

The definition of creatures and items in the dark also relies on such things as visual settings and resolution... so the 'halo' also functions as a great equalizer.  I know if this function were removed, I wouldn't be visiting such places as the orphanage, where it would be nigh impossible to target the HiPS spamming undead gremishkas amongst all the fog - it's already pretty damn hard to target them *with* the key.

I use a Lantern.  Works pretty well.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.