You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Scrags - Poor Trans  (Read 3086 times)

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
Scrags - Poor Trans
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »
This has resulted in quite a few deaths, but the latest case really gets to me. The trans leading into the last area is a chokepoint. It's bad enough that you've got to trans through it one by one, but when you step through and scrags immediately charge you, it's just being murdered on a trans. It's hard to click, and when i went through earlier they just smacked my invisible mage immediately, causing him to auto attack. With the attacking motion in play, it was impossible to even use the trans then and he died immediately.

It really needs to be set up more fairly.

Edit: and he had gone in, of course, because someone else had died unable to get through, putting the body on the trans and creating the whole scenario of dying as soon as you port in. Which, of course, was followed by the third member of our party coming through and unable to manuever with giant scrag models and corpses, resulting in him dying as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:16:27 AM by shadymerchant »

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: Scrags - Poor Trans
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:19:45 AM »
I hate those little floor trans like that. If you're using the keys, and you're lagging at all, you just skip right over them. Happens on the door trans too, but not as often.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
I know scrags are good xp but they are also a death trap... that said (and back on topic) maybe the trans area can be enlarged

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:29:19 AM »
  Hmmm.. I've seen it happen before... as well been a victim to that little tiny rectangular transition.  I've since learned from that mistake and A>refuse to go hunting scrags or B> as future reference when another dies to scrags while retreating can stay dead in the scrag cave.  Only fools rush back in for a fallen comrade risking the notice of a clustered group of scrags.. well it's their funeral not mine.   :D

Though I do fully endorse a fix on the ultra tiny transition strips.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41:16 AM »
Might want to move this to the general feedback since its not technically a bug, but a needed redesign based on player feedback.

I agree, that the transition needs changed.  Too many deaths imposed due to the ooc difficulty of that sort of transition.  Scrags are tough enough on their own. 

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »
Tough? They are INSANE!

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:54:39 AM »
Tough? They are INSANE!
Indeed!  My character ran into an adult Scrag while exploring somewhere north of the lake at sixth level.  At the time, however, I was not OOCly or ICly aware of what they were, and there I was thinking, "Ahh, probably a gimped troll!  Avast, eat blade to the face!"

1/3rd round later I was laundering my trousers.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:54:07 AM »
scrags are so insanely beefed thes days that the xp isnt even worth the risk anymore. seriously you have lot better chances against greater fiendish fanatics are temple when it has highest spawn than against few elder scrags

Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:55:59 AM »
I'll get around it... I'll probably also turn down their challenge a fair bit and give them some loot. It's more suitable for mid-range adventuring.

mayvind

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:29:37 AM »
I'll get around it... I'll probably also turn down their challenge a fair bit and give them some loot. It's more suitable for mid-range adventuring.

:cry:

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
:cry:

Hurray!

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »

That's a shame. I rather liked them as they were. One of the few areas where high levels can get any xp. And you just needed some strategy to hunt them.

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

That damn elf

• Undead Master
  • n00b
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
Yar! STRATEGY!

Like timestop! Or black blade!

Jokes...I say keep em the way they are. Any dungeon on non-epic server rocking the crazy AB they are should be avoided. I think I'v seen up to +36 on the elders?

((Thanks for the sigi norture! <3))
~Dimitri' - Ex-Vardo, Clockwork Goose Partner
~Faxs'to - Survivor of year 749

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »
I like having a crazy challenge like elder scrags.  Many of the deaths I've seen there were due to carelessness, or simple bad luck, while many were due to that troublesome escape due to the ooc difficulty of transitioning out.

I don't go to scrags often, but when we do, due to the high challenge, it is exciting.

I'm not a number cruncher though, so I don't know if the elder scrags themselves should be toned down.  It does seem hard to find anyone with high enough AC to stand toe to toe with the elder scrags, even if having mages or clerics to buff them.  But I do know the transitions should be designed for easier escapes.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:55:54 PM by Iconoclast »

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »
Yar! STRATEGY!

Jokes...I say keep em the way they are. Any dungeon on non-epic server rocking the crazy AB they are should be avoided. I think I'v seen up to +36 on the elders?

Time to revisit Monseter AB vs Average Player base AC.....topic for my balance thread.  Only times I've seen the scrags, is when I've run out there to rescue someone that got slaughtered because of those transitions so yeah, a bit of modification there would be nice.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »
Yar! STRATEGY!

Lol

Those wont really help you. Any kind of crowd control works miracles though. And good crowd control spells start at level 2 :)

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »
The scrags are insanely difficult, but it can be a lot of fun. I love bringing down elders. I brought this up because the transition between the last lair and the shallow water needs adjusting. It leads to death, and only because of OOC game mechanics.