Author Topic: Stuck Creatures/Pathing Errors  (Read 27194 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Stuck Creatures/Pathing Errors
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Creatures getting stuck behind placeables or unwalkable parts of tiles not only pose a problem because they don't pose much of a challenge - much worse is it that they tend to have significant impact on lag and general pathfinding too. So, use this topic to post all the places you've noticed creatures or NPCs frequently getting stuck. If you can provide screenshots to help nail down the exactly location - all the better.

Thank you in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:08:28 PM by Phantasia »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Stuck creatures
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
Down in the Burial grounds, the spawns sometimes get stuck behind the placeable debris and partial buildings a lot. Lots of stuff down there that may need a bit of tidying up.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
Orphanage.  The bigger animal undead can get stuck, meanwhile the cheating whore ninja trained Hips Spamming Gremishka Undead don't ever seem to get stuck, though I'm sure if they did we wouldn't know because they would just HiPs.

Mostly though, it's the cows that get stuck, Terrains bad down there anyway........cleaning up a few of the rocks would help a lot.

Ochre Jellies in the Random Cave on the way to the Dwarf Mines, while not getting Stuck, DO tend to spawn by the hundreds, and they are not fast enough to catach the hasted troll form casters, so they all Pile up on the Transition.  Insta Lag Death there, and it explodes exponentially on the first hit when they all split.

Dwarf Mines.  Rust Monsters get stuck on the corner in the two rooms they spawn in, Grey Oozes if Laggy, will pile up in their nook and not react at all to you.  Spreading them out spawn location wise would solve issue easily.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »
I believe Soren has fixed the Orphanage once before. Have you went down there recently?

Also, with the Burial Grounds you can snipe from up top the entrance stairs because the critters can't find a path up the stairs.

In the thouls cave, in the main room with the gate, the thouls can never bash or pick the lock open. Some thouls have ranged weapons, and spells, but most will simply amble up the fence and becoming unwilling pincushions. The downside for fixing this though, is that the spawns can be huge and overwhelming sometimes.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
I believe Soren has fixed the Orphanage once before. Have you went down there recently?

Also, with the Burial Grounds you can snipe from up top the entrance stairs because the critters can't find a path up the stairs.

In the thouls cave, in the main room with the gate, the thouls can never bash or pick the lock open. Some thouls have ranged weapons, and spells, but most will simply amble up the fence and becoming unwilling pincushions. The downside for fixing this though, is that the spawns can be huge and overwhelming sometimes.

Yeah that gates an issue in the Thouls.  Just a big shooting gallery but sometimes the Witchlords Fight back and fireball the snot out of the Archer playing shooting gallery.  As for the Orphanage, yeah fairly recently but still 2 updates back at least.

Burial grounds is cool, I hate the stuck critters not finding the stairs, as much as I despise yet another "common" monster down there, that my fighter can't Hit due to DR and no gear issues.  Still those stairs provide a huge kill them all advantage, and the DR protected critters are the only ones that will actually find out how to get up the stairs.

~Rex

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
Yeah that gates an issue in the Thouls.  Just a big shooting gallery but sometimes the Witchlords Fight back and fireball the snot out of the Archer playing shooting gallery. 

Always wondered why they don't have a stack of throwing axes spawned on them, would make things interesting.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »
What is with this no gear issue? You are a Falk, why don't you at least have a Falk Talon blade? Jeez. :lol:

Yeah, the addition of the witchlords and witchmasters, and some of the thouls packing bows helps of late, but it still is mostly as you put it, a shooting gallery.

Some of the random caves have open sides in the outer rooms and you can often shoot across the gaps at the monsters in the next room down.

Also, there are a couple farms where you can shoot livestock from high ground without danger of being attacked. (Livestock? Why shoot livestock? Because you can make some decent money selling all the rations you get from them.) However, I'll have to get screenshots because some of the spots are hard to describe.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
What is with this no gear issue? You are a Falk, why don't you at least have a Falk Talon blade? Jeez. :lol:

Yeah, the addition of the witchlords and witchmasters, and some of the thouls packing bows helps of late, but it still is mostly as you put it, a shooting gallery.

Some of the random caves have open sides in the outer rooms and you can often shoot across the gaps at the monsters in the next room down.

Also, there are a couple farms where you can shoot livestock from high ground without danger of being attacked. (Livestock? Why shoot livestock? Because you can make some decent money selling all the rations you get from them.) However, I'll have to get screenshots because some of the spots are hard to describe.

Yeah, got a Falk blade.  Like a list of the critters I run into casually that it's worthless against?  Yeah the high points and the live stock anhiliation are an issue.  I think with the Thouls though it's an AI thing because they USED to arrow the snot out of you and now they charge.  IF they see you.  Monster vision is a touch more limited.

~Rex

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
Could be an AI thing. I believe I remember only witch doctors having bows. All the thouls and hobgoblins are sentient, intelligent creatures. Give all of them bows or throwing weapons. Rex, PM me the list. I might have some ideas for you since I too play mostly warrior classes.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
Pavel the woodworker merchant get stuck behind wood sometimes. Is it possible to keep him landlocked near the tables so we can keep his store open as we fill the table with templates? It would help so much

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

AwesomeOrangeDog

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »

Also the guards switch between polearm and sword/board randomly.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »
You know, speaking of all these stuck creatures and maybe something related... I noticed every since the NWN update (the big commerical one) that the pathfind AI really blows compared to before. You get stuck on more junk, you can't edge your way around anything, and it's a general pain in the ass. I get stuck on more bodies than I ever have previously. Places w/ narrow ledges, only one person can pass at a time, and if a person is fleeing you, they can just use the old back-up-and-blow-you-away-with-spells trick, and you can never catch up to them to whack them down, since you can't cut around their flank, and the engine won't let you get near enough to them and make a blow before they back away again. I'm not sure if it's the way the update works w/ some of our own pathfinders and edge finders here, or if it's something the company itself did upon update, but I can't help but think creatures getting stuck on corners, and at transitions, and on other bodies, is somehow related.

Can we get bodies to just be like they were before, where you could step on and over them?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:43:35 PM »
Not half as bad as getting blocked by someones stupid ghost.  Semi off topic, Why is it the Cow Models have no Udder yet the Bull Models have a Scrotum the Size of a halfling PC?  Is this how the Halflings are smuggling themselves into and out of Vallaki, on that one Bull/OX that gets stuck crossing the transition in the morning?

~Rex

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 12:49:54 PM »
Not half as bad as getting blocked by someones stupid ghost.  Semi off topic, Why is it the Cow Models have no Udder yet the Bull Models have a Scrotum the Size of a halfling PC?  Is this how the Halflings are smuggling themselves into and out of Vallaki, on that one Bull/OX that gets stuck crossing the transition in the morning?

~Rex

:shock:  :lol: :shock:

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
By the way, I got pushed inside a wall inside de Jelly Cave and died.

I lost one level of cleric and thrust-me... got reaaly, really pissed off.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
Please stay on topic in the feedback and suggestions thread.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

ChronnoSphere

• New to the Mists
  • "Vae Victus"
Stuck Beetles.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »

Heya!

Just reporting that while I was at the beetle burrow near the road after the gallows, a lot of them spawned on the scenario and got stuck, either on rocks or walls.

Cya!

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Spider cave on Bartak North mountain. every time I go in there One spiderling tends to get stuck in a web. It comes from an egg sack and for some reason one spiderling. IS always left alive because you can not shoot it or hit it from any angle. Not a major Concern but I did notice it and it has been happening for a long time.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »
Spider cave on Bartak North mountain. every time I go in there One spiderling tends to get stuck in a web. It comes from an egg sack and for some reason one spiderling. IS always left alive because you can not shoot it or hit it from any angle. Not a major Concern but I did notice it and it has been happening for a long time.

It's been like that for two years. ;)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 02:25:48 AM »

It's been like that for two years. ;)

Funny how no one has reported it until now then :P

I'll look at these things, keep reporting it. If you can provide screenshots, it'll really help a lot pinpointing it too... :)

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »

Also the guards switch between polearm and sword/board randomly.
I miss Viorica's flower cart.  :(

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »

I always assumed that spider was left to lay more eggs... how else does the cave repopulate :D

Sage - When stories come to life

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 06:23:57 AM »
Livu of the Mage Tower seems unable to sit on his chair.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »
Forest Fane: 

Monsters, Summons and Familiars frequently get stuck on seemingly nothing at all.  The texture mapping of that area feels very glitchy.   Summons wont follow you because they get stuck on a patch of dirt or something.  I've seen several PC's get stuck as well. 

I dont mean on the many hills of the area or even the many corners but rather on the flat open spots where one would typically walk through that area.  The area appears full of invisible walls.  I've noticed a severe increase in lag as well when one summons a creature or familiar in this area.  Usually after said creature becomes stuck on an invisible wall.
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Wingfree

• New to the Mists
    • Dances of Dragons
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
What about a stuck character,,, sheesh I log in run through a transition and poof im on a hill with no ramp... fun stuff. How do I get off this hill? There is no DM on. I looked at the emotes, couldnt find a jump,, so now what? wait for relog???