You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: In Game Hours - Duration  (Read 8568 times)

Serevain

• Undead Master
In Game Hours - Duration
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
Perhaps to drive home the nail of "stay in at night", we could make IG hours last 10-15 minutes. This would also make the "48 hours o' fun" more dynamic concerning extended roleplay, encouraging people to stay in Inns longer. Just shooting the breeze with this idea, I'm not accusing anyone of breaking immersion or what have you.

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

failed.bard

Re: In Game Hours - Duration
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
If you make night time last longer you'll have less people staying inside at night.  I won't stay in at all, if it's two hours of forced boredom if you happen to log in right when night falls.

AwesomeOrangeDog

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
Also, this will make winter last really, really long, making areas such as Baratak and Ghakis very deadly. And this would also destroy herbalists. I don't think it's a good idea.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
What would be cool, though, is if night lasted longer in the winter, and shorter in the summer.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
I agree, longer nights in winter and shorter in summer would just add that much more to an already amazing weather/seasonal system.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »
I agree, longer nights in winter and shorter in summer would just add that much more to an already amazing weather/seasonal system.

if its possible without overworking are awesome devs then i agree as well

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
The duration of the day light now that a curfew is in place does make things interesting.  In the memorial service at the Cathedral of Ezra, even though we started the service at hour nine, giving people two hours in the morning to make it once the curfew was lifted, the service was still going on when the sun set.  There is that big difference between rl time and game time.  Fortunately, the service was close to being finished, but there was a line of people waiting to approach the altar, and Nell was put into an awkward position of possibly interupting their private moment with the spirit of Miss Grant to let them know that anyone witout a nightpass, is welcome back in the morning if they need to make haste to an inn room to avoid breaking curfew. 

If the Cathedral grounds are developed more to where we might have some visitor rooms, then we could in those situations offer safe lodging for the night.

It's just a tricky thing due to the different rates of time.  An event that in real time might take an hour, will take an entire day in game time. 

However, I'm not convinced that changing the game time is a good idea.  Maybe, but I don't know.  There will always be some wierd issues due to different rates of time, and we'll just need to continue working around it. 

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »
Longer hours would also make the rest system back to being a pain in the ass, really.  We're perfectly fine the way it is.

As for curfew, that's something that can be put to rest ICly.  Isn't the first time Curfew went up/down.

Mitano

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
Also, making in game hours longer would alter a lot of spells, would it not? If so, this would make mages even more powerful.

Gisselle Brasseney - "The sword may rend you limb from limb, but with just a touch...I will rend your very soul."

JayeAeotiv

• Undead Slayer
  • don't make me crash this car
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
I consider in my own mind the difference between in game time and real life time to be a matter of worlds.  Consider that one year on mercury is different than a year on earth.  A day on earth is also much different.  So in my mind, ravenloft spins a lot faster around its star.  Does this not make sense?
--
Zook Firestarter | Jaye

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »
  It would only make a high level caster seem more powerful.  It would make a low level caster of better use other than being a walking healing wagon with a few fancy fizzling spells.  Though stretching the IG hour to 15 minutes would be a bit much.  10 minutes durations would be a nice added effect.  I don't see how extending a 2 hour period from 12 minutes to 20 minutes really making a big difference to the current resting system.

I all preference the resting system could be moved to a 4 or even 6 hour period, which would be more plausible, given that the human body generally doesn't fatigue that quickly, even with exertion of short combative moments during the course of a couple hours.  The 2 hour resting time frame is more of a consideration to the caster class so that they can recover their spells.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
Ravenloft doesn't have a sun. All light comes from a single flourescent bulb in a case of mirrors the Darkpowers screwed into the cieling.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
Maybe we ought to change the clock for standard time and daylight savings time too. 

Yanno, let's not complicate this game even further. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »
10 minutes?  I thought our hours lasted 6 minutes, which is 10 times faster than normal time.  Anyway, it wouldn't make mages more powerful or less powerful unless the mage was utilizing free resting points like inn rooms frequently.

The spells would last longer, but the mage would also have to wait a long time to rest and regain the spells, should the mage be throwing things like magic missile around to get kills, it would be a near eternity for them to get back in action.

Of course, hours between rest could easily be altered.

Serevain

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »
... I can't believe I actually wrote that. :S. I had just woken up. *humbly runs away*

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »
  Currently 1 IG hour = 6 minutes RT.  2 hour intervals before resting = a 12 minute wait.
  Which in turn makes...
      1 day IG = 2.4 RT hours
      1 week IG = @17 RT hours (16hr48min exactly)
      1 month IG = @3 RT days
      1 year IG = @36 RT months (just more than a month)

I really don't see how altering the hourly rate /up/ to 10 minutes RT per 1 hour IG dramatically changes much more than the pace of seasonal time.  Rest time becomes 20 minutes not every 12 minutes.
      1 day IG = 4 RT hours
      1 week IG = 1 RT day + 4 hours
      1 month IG = 4 RT days + 16 hours RT
      1 year IG = 56 RT days (or almost 2 months RT)

This does little to diminish high level casters volume of spells, it does extend the duration of said spells.. but given a rest every 2 hours regardless of the time scale does very little in overpowering them.  If anything it hamstrings them if they exhaust their spells to quickly (which in my opinion makes a foolish caster).  So they have to wait an extra 8 minutes until they can replenish their spells, oh boo.   If anything this does hamstring a low level caster the most, but then they are weak in power and should be making intelligent use of the spells they have, instead of just spamming the key knowing they can rest a few minutes away again.  This would promote more intelligent caster usage (not saying that the current community of caster are -not- that in the slightest) by mediating their abilities more.  It does make benefit of the casters that rely on duration magic by prolonging the energies of their spells both lower and high level.  Making them a greater value to this that can use the powers with cautious care and intelligence.

Increasing the time frame allows an extension of the daily cycle of activities for those role playing scenes/ day to day tasks (especially for crafters)/ large RP events that involve multiple character interaction+conversations and events requiring timing for situations.  Especially when it comes to regarding IG time constraints such as curfews and IG mechanics, it allows players to navigate their time more effectively.   This extends to the night as well, leading to longer events for dramatic flare, building of suspense, fear and superstition.

I've always found it bit silly that a conversation between two or more players end up spending the entire length of the day, when the conversation in itself would have concluded within the span of an hour or few. Now I understand that IG conversations are typed, which is not a very speedy method of role play... as well not everyone's WPM (words per minute) skills are the same.  Myself if I'm not having to take a moment to think out clearly what I'm trying to say (or simply have a brain fart and word block) can spit out conversations at 40-50 WPM easily enough.  If I'm type pasting something while reading it .. that can easily double. 

Another benefit to what was mentioned as well.. is the addition of longer nights/days during the seasonal changes.  That would really really be a nice dynamic effect.  Having a winter season running with 8 hours of light and 16 hours of darkness.. and in the summer have 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness.  Again it makes for building up a fear or elation that would commonly be associated with the changing of the seasons.

my $0.05.  :D

failed.bard

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
Wilhelm is 14th level, and has 4 hours between rests.  The time between rests is scaled to level right now.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »
13+ has to wait 4 hours to rest once.  By making it 10 minutes, that means players past level 13 have to go from waiting 32 minutes to 40.  Let me tell you, it does create a paradox for a lot of casters.  Right now, dungeoning has been smooth becuase most multi-classed casters have been able to let their buffs run until they 'could' rest.  With this, we'd end up with lots of painful delay times.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 12:18:01 AM »
I'm confused.  I thought after level 15. the wait time between rests is 3 hours ingame or 18 minutes RL?   

****Edited to Add****

It's 3 hours ingame or 18 minutes for level 13+.

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=11628.msg133488#msg133488
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:42:36 AM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 12:27:56 AM »
It's at least "four hours".  My level 8 guys had to rest for "three hours".  I put the hours in quotes, because if you play it right, you aren't really waiting the full four or three hours, because I usually start my initial rest when the hour is halfway over, so it ends up as more like 3 and 1/3 hours, or 2 and 1/2 hours.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 01:00:29 AM »
  I still don't see why an extra 8 minutes is such a plague to the high level casters.  Unless they're powergrinding... I thought the community were more about roleplaying?  Why cater to the grinder crowd... extending the hourly rates allows for more roleplaying during dungeoning or quests, when your not having to think ... x amount of IG hours/RT minutes before spell duration fails.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 02:00:09 AM »
  I still don't see why an extra 8 minutes is such a plague to the high level casters.  Unless they're powergrinding... I thought the community were more about roleplaying?  Why cater to the grinder crowd... extending the hourly rates allows for more roleplaying during dungeoning or quests, when your not having to think ... x amount of IG hours/RT minutes before spell duration fails.

Oh boy, please don't open that can of worms.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 02:54:08 AM »
PoTM is an RP server that caters to different tastes. Some will RP heavily and never visit a dungeon, others will be hitting dungeons more often. Some of those who rarely visit a dungeon might feel the need to hit one, or two, or all just to have fun. Some dungeons do require you to calculate spell timings if you want to survive. (Like Ice Palace in the winter or the alhoon). Whether people powergrind or not, it's their choice, really. We don't enforce on how people's RP should be. And some good RPers like a good dungeon romp every now and then too.

Personally, I'd hate to see the night being longer unless it's just the winter months. My native characters suffer the night bad enough in empty inns since even the "locals" (they're no longer locals, but outlanders) hang around in the Rest. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:58:35 AM by Delphinidae »

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
PoTM is an RP server that caters to different tastes. Some will RP heavily and never visit a dungeon, others will be hitting dungeons more often. Some of those who rarely visit a dungeon might feel the need to hit one, or two, or all just to have fun. Some dungeons do require you to calculate spell timings if you want to survive. (Like Ice Palace in the winter or the alhoon). Whether people powergrind or not, it's their choice, really. We don't enforce on how people's RP should be. And some good RPers like a good dungeon romp every now and then too.

Personally, I'd hate to see the night being longer unless it's just the winter months. My native characters suffer the night bad enough in empty inns since even the "locals" (they're no longer locals, but outlanders) hang around in the Rest. But that's just me.

Well, ahhh, if nighttime company would alleviate some of Natasha's crabbiness, Calor would be willing to take one for the team.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
There's also the issue where half the times I logon, I'm usually trapped for 20-30 mintues.  I'd rather not be stuck for longer.