Author Topic: Tower Shields - Now weigh almost as much as armor!  (Read 14344 times)

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
Re: Tower Shields - Now weigh almost as much as armor!
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
Just use a Large shield. The ML Church has a Large Shield item anyway.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
The RP's been pretty impressive lately at least about this problem:

"The entire military of Vallaki has suddenly been complaiining of backaches lately do to the mysterious weight increase on tower shields."

"No way!  So I wasn't the only one that was stiff after fighting with my shield just now."

~

45 lbs is excessive, I'd think 25-30 lbs is a bit more logical than 45, but that's my opinion.  Referencing the whole PnP thing is just a waste of time.  The game can be easily tweaked at any time to pick appropriate weights and balances.  It's never going to 100% emulate PnP.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »
Either way doesn't bother me cause I have 18 str. . . . and my 14 str paladin just makes her limit too, though she has very little 'stuff'. Really, don't see what the issue is.

If it's too heavy use a large shield. Adds a bit of prestige to hauling a tower shield.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
45 lbs is excessive, I'd think 25-30 lbs is a bit more logical than 45, but that's my opinion.  Referencing the whole PnP thing is just a waste of time.  The game can be easily tweaked at any time to pick appropriate weights and balances.  It's never going to 100% emulate PnP.

45 pounds is a lot, but the shield itself is really excessive. It really is a door, that you carry around on your arm. If 25-30 pounds is your idea of a good weight, look around for an old school ironwood tower shield. Mine weighs 27 pounds. Otherwise, use the steel/oak version that weighs 36 pounds.

As for referencing the PnP as being a waste, this game is based on PnP DnD. To ignore the PnP roots is ridiculous. We've been spoiled by a bug in the system for years now and it'll just take a little bit of time to get used to the change.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
  Having looked up the historical weights of period based shields.  Most European Dark Age- Renaissance period weighed in ranges of 4-12 ilbs for bucklers to large shields.  Most period based shields from pre European nations (Rome, Greek, Persian. etc.)  Weighed in ranges of 6-16 ilbs for buckler to large shields.  Tower shield styles used for shield wall style formations weighed in around 20-30 ilbs. 

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »

45 pounds is a lot, but the shield itself is really excessive. It really is a door, that you carry around on your arm. If 25-30 pounds is your idea of a good weight, look around for an old school ironwood tower shield. Mine weighs 27 pounds. Otherwise, use the steel/oak version that weighs 36 pounds.

As for referencing the PnP as being a waste, this game is based on PnP DnD. To ignore the PnP roots is ridiculous. We've been spoiled by a bug in the system for years now and it'll just take a little bit of time to get used to the change.

Except that most of the stuff in NWN doesn't reference to PnP properly, so it makes a horrible mix when you try and go accurate with PnP when most of the things aren't accurate to begin with.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
I don't see why things like weights are hard to reference properly. The game uses PnP stats for all the items even though honestly not all of them are historically accurate. Most of the changes were mechanical in nature, based on how the game engine can simulate certain skills and actions. Otherwise, the game uses the damage codes and weights straight from the PHB.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
  Well just as most swords, take Katana's for example fit in the 3-5 ilb range  (not 10 ilbs as they are in NWN)  a traditional longsword is around 5 ilbs.  But I digress, point is they made the weights for a reason, perhaps to prevent walking arsenals of weaponry and suits of armor.  As I'm sure they couldn't have found a way to implement a more balanced/realistic format to how many weapons, gear or various other encumbering items (not by weight, but sheer size and complexity) one could feasibly carry into the game's engine.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
Leave the weights where they are.  It was broke before, Now it isn't.  Now, things can be added to the crafting option, to perhaps make different types of construction/materials, to make different types of armor and shields that weigh/encumber less as part of the environment.

Otherwise, I see no reason to reset it to something Lighter just so Wimpy PC's, can walk around with a big cool tower shield like the strong PC's.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »
This has nothing to do with "wimpy players" and the categorizing of players affected by the "CORRECTED BUG" as such is offensive. 

This has to do with character creation based on a supposed bug it took Bioware/Obsidian SIX YEARS, repeat SIX YEARS, to correct and not the fact that a player is "wimpy".

And to head off any of the sage advice givers as to how I should've set up my cleric regarding strength, my cleric carries TWO tower shields without any encumbrance problems.  So it isn't for my char that I comment on this.   
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »
I think the weight difference from large to tower is a bit extreme, 15 lbs for a small and 36 for a tower. Id rather go back to the old weight, even if broken, was a bit more balanced and players are used to create their character with that in mind.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
The bug has been corrected. You just need to get used to the way things should've been. Two of my characters with tower shields need to lose some weight and you don't see me complaining about the fix.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
The bug has been corrected. You just need to get used to the way things should've been. Two of my characters with tower shields need to lose some weight and you don't see me complaining about the fix.

Aint that fine for you. I dont see this kind of comment as constructive in a conversation where some people obviously don't agree with the new change. Good old, it dosnt bother me it shouldnt bother you, never fixed anything. Five pages of this kind of reply surely didnt.

Sorry to come off as abrasive but it seems it's the answer we get at every new situation and it's getting old.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
Constructive? It was a bug. It got fixed. That's the end of the story as Calor/ThAnswr so loves to say.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2008, 07:38:43 PM »
Except it wasn't a 'bug', it was a change.  There are players concerned over the change, and your answer is more or less "Get over it."

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
This topic has served it's purpose, everyone who wanted to has voiced their opinions on the matter and so we, the dev team will take it into consideration. But to avoid things turning uncivil - LOCKED