You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Taunt - must disengage to (see first word) ;)  (Read 2756 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Taunt - must disengage to (see first word) ;)
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
Is there anyway we can get this skill, when used, to break off attack?

Here's what I mean. It's considered an attack, according to the system. And, most everything else, even just casting a spell, will interrupt your current attack. Taunt (for me anyway) doesn't do this. If I am engaged, and I decide I want to taunt the person I'm fighting, I have to break off from combat to get rid of the little combat icon, then taunt them. This evokes all sorts of additional attacks of opportunity, beyond the normal one you get when taunting. And, if you're fighting a tough foe, every time your taunt runs out, you've got to run away from a far enough distance to have been considered "disengaged" and then you can retaunt it. You also can't taunt multiple targets, while engaged in combat. You have to break off. You can't just switch taunt targets to another person, like you could with an attack.

Unless there's something I'm missing, you should just be able to hit the taunt button and taunt another target, without having to go to an idle state first. Any way to fix this script so it interrupts the current attack to taunt? It seems like it would be fairly easy to do, since almost every other action in the game will interrupt an attack.

PinkTarantula

• Undead Master
  • Epic Skill Focus : Haiku
Re: Taunt - must disengage to (see first word) ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
You don't have to click on the ground and run away, to disengage from fighting when you want to stop to taunt.  Look at the top left of your screen, when you're fighting, there should be an icon there.  Hit taunt on the enemy, then click the first icon up to the top left "the icon that denotes you're fighting, not the icon that shows the taunt picture.  You'll disengage and taunt.  Then you can just reattack.
Blacken and sin, accept and be swept

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
Easier method:  Hotkey "attack" to either F1-F4 (one of the easier reached ones), and Hotkey "taunt" right next to it.

Example:  F4 = Attack, F3 = Taunt.

When you hit F4, you automatically disengage, and as soon as you hit F3 and click, you taunt.  You can more or less pull the whole taunt process in a 1 second ordeal.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
I just click the Icon, can do it just as fast as the hot key.  Usually though, unless I have it hotkeyed, and it's another player, they just do that Walk Backwards engine exploit to throw off the entire combat.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
I don't use taunt that much, but yeah, I just cancel the Attack icon when I want the que to work properly.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Arch_Angel00

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
I use taunt -a lot-.  As people have been saying, what I do is start attacking first.   After I swing once or twice, then i press the taunt hot-key so it gets put up in the top left que.  After that, then I disengage the attack, which activates the taunt command.  Now as soon as I see the taunt message is either successful or unsuccessful, i hotkey my attack and hit my target, which puts me back into combat.  Yeah, you have a moment or two when, if your opponent swings, youll be flat footed, but 9/10 times I can time it right so that doesnt happen.  So basically, the key to using taunt effectively is hotkeying your actions, and getting a good timing down as to when to taunt and when not to without drawing attacks while youre flat footed.

What I find rather cheesing about taunt is the AI knows that Im taunting a creature.  What I mean by that is sometimes when I taunt a creature, the creature keeps taking tiny steps backwards, but not enough steps so that it breaks combat.  What this does is it allows (ie wolf) the wolf to continue attacking me, yet Im stuck still trying to taunt the wolf, since you have to be standing right next to your opponent to taunt them.  A lot of times, the wolf will get 2 or 3 swings from normal combat off on me while Im still trying to taunt it, not even including the AoO's I sometimes draw from taking tiny steps towards the wolf.  Anyone else that uses taunt on a regular basis will know what Im talking about.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
  As pink has mentioned above.  The method I use to make taunt work in combat is to disable the action icon in the upper left corner in order for taunt to take effect.

Example - hotkeyed attack target, use the taunt hotkey, which will turn up 2nd in the order of actions, disable the 1st action with the click of the mouse.  While taunt is going through it's animation/effect I hit the hotkeyed attack again so that it's que'd into the actions.  During combat with multiple combatants I will even use this taunt on a secondary target, so the moment the 1st target is slain I will start the combat with a taunt first.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »
  As pink has mentioned above.  The method I use to make taunt work in combat is to disable the action icon in the upper left corner in order for taunt to take effect.

Example - hotkeyed attack target, use the taunt hotkey, which will turn up 2nd in the order of actions, disable the 1st action with the click of the mouse.  While taunt is going through it's animation/effect I hit the hotkeyed attack again so that it's que'd into the actions.  During combat with multiple combatants I will even use this taunt on a secondary target, so the moment the 1st target is slain I will start the combat with a taunt first.

Yeah that works fairly well for me to even with the goofy keyboard that makes me punch extra keys to use functions.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Serevain

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »
This is where being an experienced key masher comes in handy... little tricks to make combat run smoothly and let you win easier.

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda