You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion - Ranger - Tracking  (Read 3135 times)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
Suggestion - Ranger - Tracking
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »
  I realize this surfaced up in the past.  Though instead of resurrecting the thread I would start a new one.  The old thread said much of what I had planned to make mention of as well.  I would like to see some sort of tracking system put into place.  Currently for tracking any PC attempts I've been /dm inquiries from zone to zone about passage of recent tracks in the area beyond the more telltale signs of wildlife.  Even though DMs have said it's quite alright, I do feel it an unnecessary bother when I know there is a script available, or has been manufactured on another server the City of Arabel. 

From what I recall of the tracking script
1) How recent/old the tracks are
2) The direction of the tracks
3) Possible class of the tracks (based on movement patterns/weight/armor..etc.)  such as, "It appear to be the track of a Warrior".

This would add a dimension missing from the current ranger class that I feel is a fairly strong integral part of being a Ranger. 

Not sure if it was a script added to their server or developed for their server.  I would suggest contacting Division by Zero or the DM team from the City of Arabel about it.  DBZ has been rather receptive to lending information he's constructed in the past.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:51:44 PM by archonzero »

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Ranger -Tracking - suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »
Add a tracking widget.  Problem is though, Tracking is something anyone can get, Rangers just get it for free and can do it better at the impossible levels.  Otherwise.  DM.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »
The inclusion of a tracking skill would be nice, as fighters, rangers, druids, and rogues would all like to have some knowledge of this but I'm sure the Devs are rather busy with the new additions of the CEP, the RL haks, 1.69, and all that and getting them to work perfectly together.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
  Of course they are.  I don't expect these overnight and to be or not be included when they have time to review it.   :)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
  Of course they are.  I don't expect these overnight and to be or not be included when they have time to review it.   :)

Would be worth it just to see Rangers run up to where all the +70 Sneaks are standing, then go....Sorry....tracks just end here.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
I'd suddenly expect a lot of rangers to then throw incendiary devices at the end of the tracks too, just to be sure.

Tracking would be nice. I used a variation of it on a MUD I used to play a long time ago, and came in handy.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
I'd suddenly expect a lot of rangers to then throw incendiary devices at the end of the tracks too, just to be sure.

Tracking would be nice. I used a variation of it on a MUD I used to play a long time ago, and came in handy.

Played with some great tracking widgets in the past.  Gives you rough size/type (Giant Animal, new tracks, NW) and direction.  Modified by things like Trackless Step and Pass without Trace so tracking Rangers and Druids could get annoying.

Was also cool back in the Haze days, of finding trails only Rangers could Use, as shortcuts they could even lead parties through them.  Very handy for covering ground.  Those shortcuts tended to pass through areas, where Rangers could camp, and of course, be attacked.

Fun Times.

~Rex

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
  Sounds like fun times.  I just feel it would be more immersion if my ranger/sneak could track down players in game without having to /pm them or a DM to find out where players are based on what my class should be capable of.  As for the incendiary, that would definitely make a sneak bolt with a hot foot.  Just hope it's not Julia Colds or the likes or you and those following with you will be buying up real estate out back of the Dawnbringers!   :mrgreen:

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Suggestion - Ranger - Tracking
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:41:41 AM »
Is there any form of tracking now or you people want It to be put in?  :)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:09:24 AM »
  Currently the only form of tracking available in game is via player to player PM of location etc..etc.. or /dm I am searching for tracks in [insert zone].  So far neither is bad, but it could grow tedious after a while.  The thing I'm really looking to get immersion wise out of the widget tracking thing Rex spoke of.  Is as a ranger or simply a tracker you get a feel for common grounds used by those around you.  Especially given the styles of bounty hunters, assassins, hunters, or simply sneaks.  It gives an invaluable tool, much like the Neuri they learn the grounds of their prey, or quarry.

Which brings up another neat twist is perhaps with such an addition, mayhaps the devs and DMs may be able to include that feat as an automatic ability for any character afflicted with lycanthropy as well.  :idea:  We will obviously always have more Neuri shifter PCs showing up on the outskirts... it's just that well travelled and open.  I do see it adding more roadside, farmland, and remote attacks happening as they can track down fresh prey easily given the location to where they shift.  ;)

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:43:24 AM »
there is an actual way to add foot prints to people which remain for others to track for a certain period of time, but it is heavily resource intensive.  Very, very interesting though, as it takes into account trackless step and such, but, for the majority, it leaves long lines of tracks for set period of time every where they go.

If the server were being run on a super computer i could see it implamented, but, as far as general realistic tracking, it might be hard to make something widget wise. I'm sure the dev team will come up with something if the idea is accepted though, nod, nod.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 05:01:14 AM »
It sounds like an good idea but honestly?

I don't think It will be good, to many skills,feats and on scripts will be tedious aswell. I rather then send tells or /DM I think! I believe It can end up as a super skill and that Is not fun :) I mean, how long will the tracks go? With some scripts perhaps you can track someone from Vallaki to Village Barovia and on...and that Is a few in game days? Tracks by then can be stirred up by other tracks or by rain and simular.

If that can be taken into considerance then It surely might be good.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 05:35:27 AM »
Considering how small of an area this server comprises, and the sheer numbers of people moving around this area, I think tracking might be difficult to do here unless it's one of the wilderness areas liek Ghakis that hardly anyone ever goes.

It would still be neat to be able to do it though.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »
  The servers I've been on that have had a script for tracking have roughly the same size player base.  The tracking scripts I've seen have never left visible tracks, but merely tracks the passage of both NPC and PC movements on a zone to zone basis I believe and usually indicates the passage of time on said tracks based over a timed basis.. so the tracks of someone left 5 days past would have vanished by that time.. I wouldn't see it keeping hold of these tracks after 2 or even 3 days of in game time.  I don't know how the scripts work, I don't see it being that uber or resource heavy.  Then again I'm don't know much about scripting.  I'll ask a friend of mine who does her own scripting on her PW, maybe get an idea of how it works and how resource heavy it may be to a system.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
2 - 3 days? I dont know but sounds like a too good ability.

Will turn It hard to hide aswell for criminals, supressed people and so on so on.  :)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »

calson does that now usually either fire, acid or holy water depending on where he's at he knows dang well there's folks he cant hear plain and simple though invis and stealth wont hide you from fire and water heh :D same with doing random spin grabs at random points  :twisted:

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 03:24:27 AM »
  Still think it would be a nice added feature and not tax the DM team with requiring to babysitting over and watch the rangers instead of doing what they do best and keep to the narrating/interacting with the environment and players of the server.  Less time that whomever the ranger is tracking to make farther distance in moments of urgency, especially so when a DM is unavailable.