You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: CXP for failure  (Read 3661 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
CXP for failure
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »

Smelting failure does not give any CXP unlike the other crafts, is it a bug or is it made this way?

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: CXP for failure
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
Its always been this way. *shrugs*
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

boompowclash

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
I assumed it was normal, since the only risk in earning a lot of CXP early is losing ore by not smelting it properly.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
I assumed it was normal, since the only risk in earning a lot of CXP early is losing ore by not smelting it properly.

I assumed every craft was made the same way, i don't see why smelting wouldnt gain XP from failure.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »
Just one of those glitches...

Leave it with soren and the team for a while... I dare say its on the list but the priority may be closer to the bottom... Maybe a post in the Bug Thread?

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »
Seeing that curing hides doesn't give CXP on failure either, I think it's not a bug.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:48:49 AM »
Actually, I somewhat think it is, but as I'm unable to get into the toolset at current, I can't tell for sure. If there was some sort of reasoning behind only the resource crafting should not give CXP on failures, I've forgotten why...

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »
Actually, I somewhat think it is, but as I'm unable to get into the toolset at current, I can't tell for sure. If there was some sort of reasoning behind only the resource crafting should not give CXP on failures, I've forgotten why...

Failing gilding and herbalist gives CXP on failure, thankfully or we'd never get there. Took me 50 chunks of copper before i could smelt ONE to pass the -5, do you know how many trips to the copper vein that was? lol

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:15 AM »

Failing gilding and herbalist gives CXP on failure, thankfully or we'd never get there. Took me 50 chunks of copper before i could smelt ONE to pass the -5, do you know how many trips to the copper vein that was? lol

Hope you enjoyed each and every one ;)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:52 AM »
Yep then realized i couldnt even hold a smith's hammer so chucked everything in the trash and went on my merry way. Ill take martial feat someday  :lol:

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »

Hope you enjoyed each and every one ;)

This made me laugh.  Soon, you'll be an honorary NY'er.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
I've been meaning to check if this possible glitch was still around.  And Viorica just recently got done smelting several massive mounds of copper ore (most likely the leavings of a mysterious copper miner who was on autopilot for a long, long time).  I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Smelting still annoys me with its disparity with leather boiling, too.  With leather boiling, you dump a ton of cured leather patches and a ton of wax into the cauldron, and the engine makes a separate check to convert each leather patch to boiled leather.  But with smelting, the engine makes one check for the entire smelter load, whether it's one hunk of ore or a hundred.  So you can lose dozens of ores on one bad roll of the dice, rather than lose a number of ores which is more or less proportionate to your level of skill (a la leather boiling), a disparity which in turn encourages people to go through the vexing process of loading and smelting one lump of ore at a time, just to get a fair chance at seeing a decent return for lugging hundreds of pounds of ore from the seams to the smelter.  Is this working as intended, or could smelting stand some fine-tuning with separated and individual ore-to-ingot checks?   :?

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 02:28:37 AM »
There is actually a limit to how much will smelt at a time. I was thinking it was 10 or 20.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

failed.bard

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »
With ore it is 10, but if you're doing bronze or steel, it ends up being 10 batches of 5.