You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: "Thomas Ashford, at your service"  (Read 3148 times)

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
"Thomas Ashford, at your service"
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
It was dark in the room. The man could barely see in front of himself only making out the shapes and outlines of furniture.
With light feet he made his way next to the bed, listening the steady, calm breathing of a young woman, barely seventeen years old.
Her father wouldnt be back in atleast an hour and the girl's medication was still making her groggy.

Sweet Elise, so frail, so pretty... So helpless. Too weak to struggle, conscious enough to enjoy the ride.

The man stepped forward, grinning broadly and running his hand along her cheek and down on her slender neck,
feeling the blood pumping through her veins.

So helpless..
I could take her if I so wished...
Could do whatever I wanted...

The man began breathing faster, the thought of being in charge like this made him so very excited.
He would take her by force, make the girl scream his name out loud.

No. Not yet...

He had worked so hard to gain her father's trust, helping him with his business, staining his hands with
the petty criminal activities of the little old crook. Just a while longer. The old man, not having any sons
would gladly allow him to marry his daughter at some point and then it would be smooth sailing from there.
Not only he would own a nice little business, he could do whatever he wished to his new, sweet little wife.

Just a while longer... Patience.

And if there was something the man didnt lack, it was patience.

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
Re: "Thomas Ashford, at your service"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »
How the hell did it come to this!?

He was running down the narrow alleyways, dodging piles of refuge, broken barrels, boxes and whatever
people had thrown out from their windows.

They had bursted in without any warning, most likely some goons hired by one of the merchants his employee
had ruined. The old man had been killed immediately, Elise was propably also dead by now, poor girl.

That was about as much thought the man had left for the woman, after all it was his life now at stake.
Good thing that he knew these alleyways like the back of his hand so shaking off whoever it was trailing
him should´nt prove too hard.

What in the blazes am I going to do now?! I need a good place to hide. Think Thomas, think!

The mans thoughts were racing in his head as he jumped over a sleepy bum.

With nothing to lose except the clothes he was wearing, Thomas made his way out of town, running down the street
until the city lights disappeared in the distance. As he stopped gasping for air he noticed something was wrong.

When the hell did it get misty?...

...Aww bollocks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:15:16 PM by Unana / Rapsutin »

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
Maybe this was not such a good idea after all...

Thomas was sitting in one of the rooms of the Broken Bell, having just finished one of his patrols. Still wearing the
leather jerkin of the militia, he reached for the glass of brandy and took a long sip, the tingling burning of alcohol made
it easier for him to collect his thoughts and the warmth it brought calmed him down.

The people he had been forced to work with lately, civilians and those of the armed forces were making his
blood boil, and that indeed was quite a feat.

If its not some useless little infant with no concept of discipline and rules thats causing trouble, its some inbred brute
who is constantly busy waging his eternal dickwaving contest with every other man he meets. Should just slit the throat
of the next bastard that gives me any lip.

Thomas ran fingers through his hair and exhaled slowly.

Just calm down Tommy old boy... Calm down. Acting rashly and without thinking will do your no good.
"Rushing will only create bastard children" as dad used to say.

With slow moves he stood up, undressed and walked to the mirror that was standing in the room. It had been placed in a way
that made it possible for Thomas to see to the door while he was so vulnerable, that being one of the main reasons he liked this
room.

While examining the few old scars he had, he remembered the letter he had left for a certain female.

I do hope she has received it already.. I could use the chance to let out steam..

Chuckling dryly, he dressed up again and walked out from the room and left the inn to patrol the bustling streets of Vallaki.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:31:10 PM by Unana / Rapsutin »

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
Grab the legs, less blood in that end...

The two men carried the corpse wrapped in sheets, struggling with the weight as they slowly dragged it over the
cobblestones of Vallaki streets. This reminded Thomas of his youth for it was not the first time he had to do
something like this in the cover of the night. Later that evening as he collapsed on the bed, hoping for few hours of sleep,
he dreamed of things past and long gone.

Thomas... Grab the legs and help me carry the damn thing. It wont bite you.
But dad. Why are we doing this?
I told you Thomas.. I need to do this for my friends. If we do this right, they will help us when we need it. Understood?
Yes but...
No buts! I asked you to help me because I cant do it alone anymore and your brother is a spineless wimp!
Now grab the legs and help me carry the man.

Thomas lowered his gaze, afraid of the beating that might ensue if he asked more questions

Yes dad.
Good. First we´ll take him back home, and later on to the woods. Do this for me and we´ll both be eating veal next week.
Dads friends are generous to those who do their work well... And those who mess up will be like this feller here.
Understood?
Good. Now get a good grip and on the count to three, lift him up.

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »
Why did he give this to me? To see what I would do? To see what sort of effect the damned thing would have on me?

Thomas was staring his bag quietly and drew a deep breath from his pipe.

Funny how one can be so aware of its existence...

He had wrapped cloth around the thing, packed it under everything else but still he knew it was there, laying in waiting almost,
as if an inanimate object could do that. Thomas had been considering throwing it away, burying it somewhere perhaps, yet the
businessman and opportunist in him cringed at the thought of doing such. The item was obviously valuable not to mention
effective in what it was meant for.

Besides... Why should I be worried? Its only a tool after all..

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:48 PM »
...and, crouching inside a shell of invisibility with a tendril of mist curling around his bare ankles, Grimshackle fingers another of the wretched knives bound in a sheath of human skin.

Look at how adoringly he stares at his pretty present! Butchers need blades for their wet-work... proper blades, to carve away those special cuts of meat from a carcass. I wonder...

I wonder how swiftly he could slice... with a second...

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:35 PM »
I need to make it stop.. But how? How!?
I cant run or hide this time and I sure as hell cant fight it either.

Thomas drew few deep breaths, calming down. He was walking in circles in the small room, drumming the hidden daggers handle with fingertips.

The church? No.. That would only make it worse. But what -can- I do?
Wait a minute...

Faint grin crept on his lips and the constant drumming stopped.

Oh yes, that might work well. It´ll even look good.

He started chuckling nervously, scratching the sores on his neck.

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »
Cold wind howled through the streets and alleys of Vallaki, blowing wisps of snow around. Close to the walls of the citadel,
laying on the snowy road was a dead woman and besides it stood a dark figure wearing a thick ragged cloak. Thomas crouched by
the body, examining it quietly and glanced at the walls of the citadel to make sure nobody was there.

So close to safety, but seems you weren't fast enough. Its the dress - makes running harder, not to mention you probably couldn't
breathe properly while wearing a corset like that... Poor, foolish girl.

He took a good grip on the body, moved it from the street to a large pile of snow and made sure her head wasn't hanging limply
backwards, piling some snow under it for support. Thomas was back to his old self, mentally at least. The nightmares didn't bother
him no more and the company and care of certain people made things seem less hopeless.

She's too kind. Worrying and caring for others like that will be her undoing, not to mention most of the people don't even deserve it.
I know I don't. If she only knew all the things Ive done in the past, would she still smile and tell everything would be fine? Probably not.

Thomas glanced around again, just to make sure no guards were patrolling close by. It would look bad if someone saw him huddled over a
corpse like this. As everything seemed to be quiet, he continued his grim work, folding the woman's dress and propping it under her legs so
the wind wouldn't be able to drag it around. After that, he folded her hands on her chest and made sure eyes were closed properly.
After Thomas was finished, he made sure there were no rats around and continued walking towards the Ezrite cathedral.

You're facing crossroads again, Tommy ol´ boy... Wonder if you´ll make the right choice in the end?...

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »
Sitting in the dark room, wearing clean white robes of an ezrite laymember, Thomas was contemplating the situation at hand.
He had just finished his daily prayers and was waiting for a guard to bring him something to eat, perhaps this time he could get
a little bit of proper wine. He had made an amateurs mistake and was caught as his curiosity got the best of him. Now he was
locked into this room with at least two guards constantly posted outside of his "cell". Of course they called him a patient instead
of prisoner and perhaps that was the right word - after all he was sick, both physically and mentally. He walked slowly in a circle,
the robe shuffling quietly against the floorboards.

She does this to me, endangering herself, her reputation and the respect of her peers because she loves me..

Thought of this warmed Thomas´ heart, for it had been a long time that someone had said that about him, really meaning it.
When he had arrived to Vallaki, she had been little more than means to get on good terms with the church. But as time went by
and they spent more time together, his feelings had grown and now he was genuinely worried for her safety.

But even if I escaped, would it do her or me any good? They took away the means I could use to slip out unseen so I would have
to fight my way out past those two guards, or cause enough chaos to sneak away unnoticed. But killing someone or burning down
this sanctuary would definitely not do any good for my state.

He stopped walking around, watched the door a while, then the shackles that hanged around his arms.

Idiots.. They left these on without realising how easily I could strangle someone with the chain.. Like that blabbering fool.
I should have snapped her ne-

No!

Thomas closed his eyes tightly and shaked head in frustration. Leaving him alone in a small room had ensured that he had a lot of spare
time for listening to himself.

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
Simple, silvery amulet, shaped like a kite shield fell on the ground, sinking slightly in the snow. This, Thomas thought,
would be the final straw that would sever all his ties to the woman he had grown fond of. He had already confessed
all of his dark deeds and denying her god was the finishing strike.

I'm going to walk away now. Either you let me go or strike me down.

Thomas stared her for a while and turned on his heels.

This will be better for both of us..
He thought.
Perhaps now she will realise that I'm beyond help. -sigh- I hope this will be the last time we meet, who knows
when I can't control myself and end up hurting her even more. Perhaps I should have apologised, or atleast
said goodb-

Thomas was engulfed by divine light that burned his cursed flesh and made him think his head would explode. He took few
staggering steps forward, thoughts racing in his mind as all his plans had taken a sudden twist to the wrong direction.
Thomas had never thought Nell would actually attack him while he had his back turned, she wasn't supposed to do that.
Another burst of light seared his back, burning through the cloth and leather of his armor.

It can't be! No.. No! What is this!?

His head kept ringing and everything before his eyes was blurry as Thomas turned around, trying to focus his gaze on the
Ezrite. She was walking towards him slowly, a burning sword in her hand. Before he could even lift his hand, and plead her
to stop, the blade sank in his side and everything went dark as he fell backwards in the snow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas was gagged and tied up, the guards were kicking and spitting on him as he lay helplessly on the cell floor and
hoped he would lose consciousness But they made sure he would not pass out or die, not before his interrogation and
the death sentence that would surely follow. Later on when he was laying on the bunk, barely breathing through his
blood-clogged nose, Thomas was waiting for death. He had confessed everything, he knew it would not matter if he lied or not.

Aww.. Poor boy..

The voice was sweet and calming, her touch gentle. Everyone else was gone, none of them would help him, but she was here.
She was always around.

Antonia...

Oh how much Thomas had first hated her, the voice that whispered in his ear. Her promises, her lies and sugared words.
He had wanted to wrap his fingers around the throat of the temptress and squeeze the life out of her. But now when Thomas
was all alone, he welcomed the company with open arms.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:08:31 PM by Unana / Rapsutin »

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
The room was dark and quiet except for the rapid breathing of a young woman. She had woken up when the mirror
beside her bed fell down and shattered against the floorboards. before she could scream, a dark figure with distorted
facial features and the smell of a grave about it leaped at her. It covered her mouth with fumbling hands, babbled and
whispered nonsense, trying to calm her down. As she finally came to her senses, the creature was staring at her intently
and started blabbering in its nervous way, stroking her cheek with its free hand.

Don't look at me like that. We just need to feed a little, if you don't struggle this will be over soon. Make it easier for
all of us. It is because of him we are here today in your bedroom, dear. His fear of death and anger towards those who
mocked and humiliated us, thats why.

He is a monster, we know that.

Most people did not - I made sure of it. They thought that he was nothing but a harmless little servant,
little man who took pride from his prim and proper manners. But we- I mean I... I...

Gods you are beautifull. What I would give to be able...

The thing blinked few times, shook its head and looked away from her, clearing its throat.

What was I talking about again? Sorry about that. They try to bother me you see, derail my thoughts.
Well... People were right for the most part. He did enjoy lifes little comforts like sitting by the fire, smoking a pipefull
and having a glass of fine brandy after a hard days work.

But it was not enough! - No... Shh, shh.. Im sorry that we raised our voice little one, please don't look at us like that.

Are you afraid? Well, we do not blame you.. After all, you´ve grown up listening tales and warnings about things like me
and now, one is sitting by your bed. Are you perhaps wondering why we tell you these things, prattle on about someone who is
already dead? I am lonely, thats why.. We miss the conversations, the friends we had, the touch, the warmth..
The feeling of trembling breath against our shoulder, the clumsy, eager kis-

The wretch twitched and twisted its head backwards, letting out a guttural croak as one of the voices, deep and calm,
the strongest took charge, drowning all the others.

Oh please... This is getting tiresome. They were never our friends and you know it. They are the
reason we are like this, especially her, the one you thought you loved. Because of her we were caught, beaten,
raped and humiliated. But because of me we survived you ingrate wretch. We were born of blood, we were given
this power so we would use it and could take what we want, whenever we want but no. You insist on hiding and
cowering before the fools and weaklings. Gods you are pathetic... And one more thing. Why in blazes did you tell
her all this? We can't let her live anymore because of that, now can we?

His grip tightened, the voice was getting too loud to hold back. The sobbing of the young woman turned into a
groan as the dirty fingernails sank in her soft skin, drawing blood. The trembling subsided as late mister
Ashford drew a curved dagger, licking his sharp, elongated teeth slowly, his lips turning into a broad grin.

Scream for me...

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Shut up, shut up, shut up... D-don't you see? You'll d-doom us both..

The wretched, hunchbacked creature was walking in circles in its new nest. He was constantly aware of the faint smell of
old blood that hanged around in the small room, something that made concentrating almost impossible. The hunger
was slowly eating the creature, the never ending urge to feed, to gorge on blood was driving him insane.

Doom us? Oh please. As if they could do anything to us. They may strike us down or rip us limb from limb, only to see us return
the next night. We are immortal, a demigod among these pathetic mortals...

Besides. Don't act as if you don't enjoy it as well. After all, we are the same, you and I. The look in their eyes when life escapes
them, the rattle as they draw their last breath... When she was hanging on that wall you were dancing around her just like I was.
Every time the whip cut her skin and flesh, every cry of agony that escaped her lips. You kept touching yourself - we know.

He lowered his gaze in shame, all that the beast was saying was true there was no sense denying it. The wretch had once prayed
and struggled for redemption, even flayed itself until the tainted flesh peeled from its back, hoping to burn the curse and impurities
away with pain. But it had all been in vain, the urges grew stronger and voices louder and when the same people who tried to help,
gave the beast one chance of escape, they had accidentally doomed them both.

Th-that's not the point. I-immortal we may b-be but the pain is still there, do not try to deny it.. I heard you ho-howling and
b-begging for mercy when we were trapped in t-the burning room. Are you too pr-proud to deny this too?

-groan- Listen to me... We c-can su-survive if we just f-feed when needed. W-we can st-stay at the sw-swamps -
plenty of food the-

The wretch realized that he was being watched and fell silent. The beast was staring at him quietly, its eyes full of
malice and distrust towards the pathetic creature that cowered before it. He knew that it would slay him without
a second thought if it could.

"Fight him. You are stronger than him..."

As if reading his thoughts, the beast chortled and turned slowly on its heels.

We are heading out for a hunt... Come.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:18:26 PM by Unana / Rapsutin »

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 06:42:27 AM »
Thomas Ashford, aka "Faucon"

Before Barovia:

Thomas Ashford was born in Mordentshire, to a small, relatively poor family consisting of father Patrick Ashford, a sullen man who earned his living as a hunter and a scout; mother Carolina, a gentle soul with frail heart and older brother Cameron, daydreaming wastrel. Thomas's childhood consisted mostly of working as an assistant in a small general store, this being one of the main reasons for his mostly calm and well-mannered demeanor and tidy, almost perfectionist-like nature. When Thomas was eleven, his mother died as her weak heart finally gave up. Soon after this, Camerons gambling habits turned his father and younger brother against him. Even so, blood ran thicker than water and Patrick had to come up with ways to keep himself and his sons well fed and safe. He was forced to start helping his old friends in their criminal activities, mainly hiding bodies of the people who crossed them. As age caught up with Patrick, he turned to his younger son for help as he was "the one with the backbone". Thomas was eager to assist and quickly took his fathers place. After few years, the ragtag group of cuththroats he had worked with were caught by law enforcers, and Ashford was forced to kill three men to protect his own, and his fathers identity.

After dust settled on the whole matter, Thomas started working for Horatio Carlyle, a crooked businessman with young daughter, Elise. Life was good for a while until Thomas´s past came knocking on the door of his current employer, a meeting that ended with both Horatio and Elise dead and Thomas running for his life away from the city. This is when the mists caught him.

Barovia:
Thomas ended up close to the city of Krezk where he never really managed to settle down. He kept mostly to himself until he met another misted outlander named Mykel Lacusta, who was on a business trip to Krezk from Vallaki (Rics character was shelved for about three months around these times and we decided to create Thomas around the time he started playing Mykel again). One thing led to another and Thomas was soon offered a job as a manservant and a bodyguard. As he had nothing to hold him down in Krezk, Thomas took the offered job and followed his new employer after tying all loose ends in Krezk.

As Thomas arrived to Vallaki, he soon started assisting Mykel and a woman named Denalie Grant in their business; sometimes openly sometimes under the secret identity of "Faucon". Thomas acted as their eyes and ears among the Ezrites. When Denalie was murdered, Thomas's job changed. From being a butler, he turned into a spy, joining the Vallaki militia and feeding his employer with all the information he could gather. Even though his career in the militia was advancing smoothly, Thomas's personal life was a mess. Not only his fetishes, but also the violent urges made normal, healthy relationships almost impossible and he was forced to seek out prostitutes, something that could've had a highly negative impact on his career and reputation if it had been found out. This slowly turned already carefull Thomas more paranoid. Still, working with the Ezrites, especially Nell Ward, was a welcome change for Thomas and he grew very fond of the woman over time, even falling in love in the end.

One day, Thomas met a Barovian noblewoman, Antonia Sojorica (Heretics plot) who had been attacked by a caliban and escorted her back to Bluewater inn. After some time, she contacted Thomas again and offered him the chance to kill her husband, offering herself and her riches as a reward. Thomas who was a ruthless opportunist, agreed and the deed was soon done. This foul murder was the first thing that strayed Thomas towards what he was in the end as sinister forces were turning their attention at him. Here and there on his body, oozing blisters and boils appeared and were followed by a horrid itch and stench, something Thomas kept hidden by bathing frequently and using lots of cologne. Along with the boils, odd, violent visions and flashbacks started to torment him.

As Thomas returned the gems to Antonia, he was ready to live a life of comfort as a noblewoman´s lover but instead of giving Thomas what was promised, Antonia tried to betray him by leaving Vallaki with her gold. Enraged Thomas raped and mugged her and left with the gold and jewelry. As this dark deed made his curse worse, Thomas was forced to leave the militia and live a solitary life in the wilderness, only occasionally meeting with Nell to whom he confessed his sins and prayed often with.

Staying hidden was easy for Thomas as he was used to living long times alone and surviving in the wilderness. Living like a hermit ensured that he would not harm anyone, but it had its drawbacks. Thomas had a lot of time to listen to the nagging voices in his head that urged him on, not to mention the visions that were getting worse daily. After making a stupid mistake, Thomas was caught and dragged to the Morninglord sanctuary where he was an imprisoned patient. This prison did not hold him for long, and Thomas escaped in a fit of madness after his guards took off the shackles that held his arms bound. But in the end, Thomas was caught by Nell once more and was taken to the citadel where he waited for death penalty.

Prison was rough for Thomas. Numerous beatings and constant mistreatment by both guards and his two cellmates turned him into a mental wreck. Visions of Antonia taunted him constantly, and Thomas even tried to escape few times, both attempts ending badly.

One night, however, everything changed. As Thomas was once again being beaten and humiliated, something happened. Bestial urge to get free started growing inside him, an urge to live, to survive but most of all - an urge to kill. The feeling grew stronger and stronger, so strong that it changed something in Thomas, giving him unnatural strength and turning him into a deathmachine.
The escape was brutal, over dozen guards and his cellmates slain, some ripped apart with bare hands, some killed with their own weapons. Thomas was free and he was one of the legion.

As undead, Thomas's madness grew worse, his mind was divided and filled with voices from which two rose over the others, both aware of each others excistence and both wanting to destroy the other.

Mister Ashford "The Beast":
Mister Ashford was all the bad habits of late Thomas, pressed into one big clump. Sadistical, petty and cruel megalomaniac, the one who loved nothing more than to play with his victims, for example making a group of travellers choose who would be sacrificed. The beast was strongest when Thomas had slept well or had recently fed.

Faucon "The Wretch":
Even though Faucon was batshit crazy. A gibbering, twitchy wreck with violent fits, he was the more humane part of Thomas, the one who tried to keep him from drawing too much attention on himself. Faucon would´ve rather just fed quickly from whoever happened on his path and be done with it.

Thomas still continued working with Mykel, him being the only man he completely trusted and being one of the closest things to a friend he had both in life and death. But Thomas's unlife came to an end when, when the student of his old employer betrayed him and gave the location of his nest to the Ezrites. In the end it was the woman he had once loved who sinked the stake in the beasts heart, thus ending Thomas´s miserable unlife.