You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Spawn Rates - large spawns too fast?  (Read 7506 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Spawn Rates - large spawns too fast?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »
ok going to add some feed back here one thing i've noticed with these higher spawns is a deadlyness to the areas which should be able to be handled by lvl 2's 3's etc today i was in the gremshika gave with another lvl 2 paladin for me and fighter for him we not screwed royally by the first batch of gremshika so we retreated and came back with another this person lvl 4 fighter/bard again we dove in and got further only to get beaten badly by the main room

ok face forward a bit an hour later i'm alone near deganway and head for that wolf cave off from it there is a pack of 6 deeper forest wolves there those things are freaking deadlyto even groups of lvl 6's can only guess as to what was in the cave

while i love grouping up and whole heartly agree with the faster spawns there should be a limit to what it can go to deeper forest wolves in an area meant for lowebies to travel only to cower really ruins things just my thoughts here

In Barovia, especially in Wolf infested Areas, there is Cannonly speaking, No Lowbie Area.  One of the things I do like about the current spawn rate is that NOW, it's not nessesarily safer to run screaming naked through the deep dark forest, then it is to walk down the fairly well lit main city streets.  I've been having a blast (even with the +20 AB Dire Crag Splats) lately because for the first time since I have been here the Wilderness of Barovia reflects the setting.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:44 AM »
I like the spawn - hate the stupid AI that ignores the person in front so that the dire cats ravage my low level rogue

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
I like the spawn - hate the stupid AI that ignores the person in front so that the dire cats ravage my low level rogue

That's appropriate predatory behavior for a Big Cat though.

~Rex

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »
As a note - what has changed lately, and most likely is the cause for the higher spawn levels, is the fact that population levels are now currently stored between resets. It might be that some places will need readjustments as a result.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 05:44:35 AM »
Soren, I love the high spawn - don't go out a night or even the day (alone)

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Nobody touch the spawn rates! *takes his machinists and stands guard over the spawn code*
Has been described as a sometimey player

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
Nobody touch the spawn rates! *takes his machinists and stands guard over the spawn code*

I'd guess the adjustments would mainly apply to the low-level areas like the slum sewers. That area in particular can be problematic once the big wererat spawns are up, as they'll quickly dispatch groups of low-level characters with ease and high(er) levels rarely venture there.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »

I'd guess the adjustments would mainly apply to the low-level areas like the slum sewers. That area in particular can be problematic once the big wererat spawns are up, as they'll quickly dispatch groups of low-level characters with ease and high(er) levels rarely venture there.

The were rats are easily handled by most groups unless the individual members are so min maxed specialized for one purpose, they just end up extincting them selves.  ABERRANT Dire Rats on the other hand, scare the crap out of me.  +20 AB 4 attacks, Power attack, Pretty good AC, Damage ranges of 11 to 31 (during that encounter), haven't run into less then Three of them at once, Rat speed, Rat Super senses, Rat Die Roller (only rolls from 18-20).  I'm assuming these things ATE the bandit leaders and Greater Were Rats that used to hang out along the fairly well lit main drag of Vallaki?

The Dire Crag Cats are a tough fight to, especially when they have friends.  Those you can avoid for the most part though.  The Abberant Dire Rats well, they  just run down the streets.  Other then that, Spawns are fine leave them alone.

~Rex

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »
Love the spawn rates - seriously!!!

... but some of the upper level spawn in some areas has too high an upper limit? So maybe make the slums sewers upper level spawn as dire rats but under the residental (for instance) would have the abberants as the high level spawn...

Lower mountain areas only have crag cats at upper level spawn but at the higher mountain areaa high level spawn would be dire cats or ancient dire cats or wandering yeti?

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:03 AM »
I still notice that the Alhoon seems to freeze it's spawn. Checked it every 4-5 hours for about 18-20 hours, and it maintained the same exact spawns in the first rooms throughout the entire time.