You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Herbalism - Too easy?  (Read 10886 times)

Ellana Twiggy

Re: Herbalism - Too easy?
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
how neat. I don't even think I have seen half of those plants, and certainly am not able to make complex potions. I think the best I have managed so far is cure moderate, lesser restoration, and remove paralysis . Its all very neat though, i am sure that there are tons of recipies out and about there.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »
Concerning what herbalism should involve and what effects it should produce, and that we've generally got the idea of what herbalism should be all wrong - I allow myself to post a quote from White Dragon magazine issue 273 about herbs found in Ravenloft. Now, although these things aren't truly official Ravenloft(?), it still at least presents the point that we aren't alone with our ideas of what herbalism can be, and, as you may notice, something we've drawn a lot of inspiration from:

It happens because people's defintions of low magic differ to the point where some think it means "no magic". 

Iconoclastic gave a wonderful interpretation of what herbalism is and what it does as it relates to shamans.  It still will not please everyone.   :mrgreen:

Concerning the more powerful potions we have available, it's my impression (and please correct me if I am wrong) that these are still very rare, because they require a larger variety of ingredients and have much higher DCs. Concerning the general availability, it still seems much lower than what is was before - I used to see people carrying several boxes full of potions.

You are 100% correct:  The more powerful the potion, the more complex it is to create and a higher DC is required.  You don't  just knock out Potions of Invisibility.

The herbalism craft is a 2 on Calor's misery index.   It's so  much fun because I feel like I'm playing a "one armed bandit" when I use the cauldron.  ;)
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
Concerning what herbalism should involve and what effects it should produce, and that we've generally got the idea of what herbalism should be all wrong - I allow myself to post a quote from White Dragon magazine issue 273 about herbs found in Ravenloft. Now, although these things aren't truly official Ravenloft(?), it still at least presents the point that we aren't alone with our ideas of what herbalism can be, and, as you may notice, something we've drawn a lot of inspiration from:

It happens because people's defintions of low magic differ to the point where some think it means "no magic". 

Iconoclastic gave a wonderful interpretation of what herbalism is and what it does as it relates to shamans.  It still will not please everyone.   :mrgreen:

Concerning the more powerful potions we have available, it's my impression (and please correct me if I am wrong) that these are still very rare, because they require a larger variety of ingredients and have much higher DCs. Concerning the general availability, it still seems much lower than what is was before - I used to see people carrying several boxes full of potions.

You are 100% correct:  The more powerful the potion, the more complex it is to create and a higher DC is required.  You don't  just knock out Potions of Invisibility.

The herbalism craft is a 2 on Calor's misery index.   It's so  much fun because I feel like I'm playing a "one armed bandit" when I use the cauldron.  ;)

Remind me to start another thread concerning low magic.  It's not Low Magic here anyway, it's Low to No Magic Items, for Certain Classes.  I still think herbalisim in general is to easy for what you can get out of it.  One of my principal games that I do support for is White Wolf's Exalted, which has an extensive "herb" format in it's background, so I can back up what Icono was talking about.  Almost done fine tuning my suggestion which I think will please both camps, and not take away anything from either.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.