You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Letter carriers sent to many locals  (Read 2361 times)

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
Letter carriers sent to many locals
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
*Letters, elegantly penned with copies in Balok and common as appropriate, stamped with a red wax seal is delivered via well paid couriers. A copy is also posted side by side in both Balok and Common out front of the Ladies rest*

Dear Burgomaster of the Villiage of Barovia Vanda Atanasius,

With a copy to Burgomaster of Vallaki Nicolai Ionelus,
A copy to Captain Lucian Vladu of the Red Vardo Traders,
and A copy posted out front of the Ladies rest addressed to all Crafters,

I must say that it was an honor and privilege to meet your acquaintance and to have the opportunity to be present in the initial discussions regarding the establishment of a guild. The prices of the fees are sizable which I outline below.

Smithing- 10,000 Yearly. 1,000 Monthly.
Herbalist- 10,000 Yearly. 1,000 Monthly.
Bowyering- 8,000 Yearly. 750 Monthly.
Leather Working- 8,000 Yearly. 750 Monthly.
//ooc timeframe for all fees

Although a master smith can afford those fees, a novice would likely require the aid of the guild or support of another group to become established. Further I humbly am in no position to speak towards the other crafts. Perhaps the fees if collected directly by the state could be considerably lower allowing more the potential opportunity to work for themselves, increasing the tax base through increasing availability and activity in one of these honorable professions while still being able to pay the state it's fair share of tax.

What I find of concern though is the significant involvement the Red Vardo will have, merchants though they are, are for the most part not craftsmen. Further I am surprised at the states decision to allow the Red Vardo to collect a tax on their behalf while, I presume, pocketing more then their fair share. Surely a government employee, a Barovian employee, would be far better candidate to collect the fees, with benefits of providing a opportunity to a hard working Barovian instead of a Red Vardo representative from any nationality. This would bring more funds directly to the state while decreasing the overall costs for the fees.

The monitoring of crafters, such as my self, would easily be performed during routine patrols of the guard. With the increase in funds more guards could be hired to offset the minor increase in their existing duties, thus providing more opportunities to local Barovians. Quite simply a craftsperson has their papers or not and can easily be shown. If a fine is to be established for not having the papers it could be collected by the state for the state, and not specifically for the hands of the Red Vardo.

Other topics of discussion required include:
Jurisdictional boundaries of the guild.
Agreement upon the fee structure.
Agreement upon collection of said fees.
Locations of guild booths.
Location of Guild house(s).
Guild Structure.
Other to be determined.

I look forward to future discussions and with a copy will be bringing this to the crafters to bring more discussion around a reasonable system of setting up a guild.

Thank you for your time,

Dorin Dolsborn IV, Master Smith.

Thanks DW!

Kaspar

Re: Letter carriers sent to many locals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »
[The Letters pinned outside the Ladies rest are immediately taken down .]

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
*The New copies of the letters are reposted after the Red Vardo Member leaves*

Thanks DW!

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:10:39 AM »
Dear Burgomaster of the Village of Barovia Vanda Atanasius,

With a copy to Burgomaster of Vallaki Nicholai Ionelus,
A copy to Master Smith Dorin Dolsborn of the Golden Dragons,
And A copy posted infront of the ladies rest addressed to all crafters,

The Red Vardo Traders are emmeniently pleased to have had the presence of Mr. Dolsborn at the initial discussions in the establishment of a Craftsman Guild. It has been brought to our attention that there have been concerns raised about the motives and involvement of the Red Vardo Traders. We at the Red Vardo Traders stand by our multi-generational reputation as an honest Barovian Guild with a constant commitment to the persuit of excellence and fariness. We would like to emphasize that this matter is in an extremely early foundational stage with few matters set in absolute stone- economic matters are, as is known to the experianced, typically fluid. We also humbly submit that the Red Vardo is in no way attempting to gain for itself an unfair advantage in the market nor commandeer the coins of the people, and that we are and always have been a BAROVIAN Organization and one of the largest private contractors of local labor in the country. We will of course work closely with the Militia's and Burgomasters of Barovia very closely, and hope to meet with you all soon to discuss this matter in greater depth and hopefully, allay your fears and concerns.

Cordially,

Lady Daciana Varzaru

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »
[The Letter was effectively picked up by a man and Delivered to the Burgomaster herself.]

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
*liam reads the post and thinks to himself* So thats why he is quiting the Order of the Golden Dragons and trying to shut it down, he is in cosy with the burgomaster and the Red vardo. And got himself appointed to run this farce of a guild as his little reward, what a sell out. *shakes head sadly*

Lim Pol

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Elderly male strokes his grey mustache reading the note.  Mutters to himself as he walks away from noticeboard.

LadyDragn

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »
[The pretty young minstrel walks by reading over the letter. She smiles faintly, then shakes her head]

A crafters guild. Love a good guild, a shame those prices are just far too outrageous for my pockets. Barely make three hundred a month, let alone double that with my bows. tsk"

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:19:12 AM »
Christiannia reads the note and wonders if everone must pay such a fee. . .even if they do not sell their wares.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
[a smirk curls onto the lips of the dark elf Thraxys as he reads the notice] I wonder what the cost is if you don't pay these fees? The herbs are everywhere, I wonder if they are going to pick them all and only ration them out to those who have paid? Somehow I just don't see Doc paying his dues.
[with a side long look at a guard, he pulls his hood up further and makes his was into the alleyways and down a drain.]