Author Topic: Coal Cave Spawn  (Read 4207 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Coal Cave Spawn
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I entered the coal caves after a reset today, and it was literally the highest spawn I have EVER seen. I'm not sure if a DM had anything to do with it, but - it was really fun, and a bit intense. I've noticed no shadow demons seem to spawn anymore. It goes from fiends, to greater shadows it seems. Also, in the last room, there weren't just shades... there were GREATER SHADES. Woo.

But, I'm curious. That's the highest I've ever seen it, but it's been on the fiends to greater shadows for a while now... yet I've never seen the greater shades form. If a DM didn't do the placing, and that's how the spawn should naturally go, then it never ever ever gets up to the greater shades, and maybe should be upped a bit for that cave. Seeing as how only half the final room was greater shades, that would seem to imply that all the shades would eventually turn to greater shades, which would mean that the spawn was only partially into the ULTIMATE SPAWN OF DOOM (tm) phase.

Also, curious what's different about the greater shades. They seemed to do a bit more damage, but otherwise, I chewed through them easier than the actual shades.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Coal Cave Spawn
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
Torgan is getting a bit low on coal, so maybe I should check out these new spawns. But him being a fighter type, and not being level 19 like someone I know, I'll probably be better able to tell the difference between the shades (annoying) and the greater shades (gulp!).
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »
Torgan is getting a bit low on coal, so maybe I should check out these new spawns. But him being a fighter type, and not being level 19 like someone I know, I'll probably be better able to tell the difference between the shades (annoying) and the greater shades (gulp!).

Yeah, I had to run from the shades once because we weren't prepared. And, don't forget the spiders w/ the knockdown and the slow. ;)

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
I think the reason is that less people have hit the coal mines of late and so the spawn really had time to build

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:47:01 PM »
Shades still Stealth cheating.  Haven't had a chance to duke it out with one yet.  Creepers cheat.  They would stealth the second you targeted them.  Then stab, then stealth the minute you tried to target them again.

Only seen the spawn at that level, twice in the entire time I have been here.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
Shades still Stealth cheating.  Haven't had a chance to duke it out with one yet.  Creepers cheat.  They would stealth the second you targeted them.  Then stab, then stealth the minute you tried to target them again.

~Rex

Yeah, there was a lot of that.

Acid sheath fixed them, though. :-P

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »

~Rex

Once again. looking for a solution OTHER, then being a caster.  One of these days someones gonna charge in with Acid Sheath up, and those smarter then genius Shades are going to pull OLD machinist crossbows, and turn that caster into a sea urchin.

~Rex
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:12:33 PM by Rex »

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
Increase listen and spot.

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:25 PM »
Uhm, you'd have to increase it to ridiculous proportions, and even then they would still try and spam their hiding which still drops your targetting.

IIRC those things have in excess of 40+ hide and MS.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
Uhm, you'd have to increase it to ridiculous proportions, and even then they would still try and spam their hiding which still drops your targeting.

IIRC those things have in excess of 40+ hide and MS.

Yeah they get close to some of the PC levels and the Issue isn't that they have HiPs or uber stealth, it's that they STEALTH in combat, right when you target them.  They vanish, break the lock, stab you for 50 points, you swing back they stealth and break the the swing.

I don't even think that's possible as a Player in a reverse situation.  It's bad enough everything in the cave there, ends up with 90% concealment as well.  That crap is more then annoying, it's once again, something that just breeds PGed Caster something or others so folks can "win".

~Rex

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »

~Rex

Once again. looking for a solution OTHER, then being a caster.  One of these days someones gonna charge in with Acid Sheath up, and those smarter then genius Shades are going to pull OLD machinist crossbows, and turn that caster into a sea urchin.

~Rex

And, that is where the helm of nobility would come in handy. :)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »
I also noticed one of them drink like, 8 healing potions (cure critical?) in a row. I mean, sheesh. Shades are rare enough. If they're chugging healing potions, have them drop a couple. :)

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:46 PM »
Actually, that is a GREAT idea.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:46:50 AM »
what was the loot like?

*LOL*
Has been described as a sometimey player

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Pretty decent. Executioners Axe. Crap weapon, but vendor's for a lot. Machinists Crossbow. Same. And an enchanted Dwarven Pickaxe. Nice axe. Pretty rare.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
Pretty decent. Executioners Axe. Crap weapon, but vendor's for a lot. Machinists Crossbow. Same. And an enchanted Dwarven Pickaxe. Nice axe. Pretty rare.

Sounds all right - Havent seen an excutioners axe.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

Sounds all right - Havent seen an excutioners axe.

Mostly junk. -4 AB. -4 Damage. Massive crits 1d4. But, it is Keened.

So, basically, what the name implies. Sharp. Only useful when being brought straight down on someone's neck while they're tied down.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
Thats harsh - screwed a decent weapon... remove the massive crits and make it -2 to hit... that seems balanced (drops hit AND crit confirmation hit on the crit roll)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »
FIRST DIPS ON THE AXE......

and uhm the shades..well im down in the coal mines alot i supose, mostly you just get the prowles and shadow vermins etc.

sometimes indeed shades wich hide attack hide attack  you start running they port to you and keep dooing the hide attack. spiders are killable.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company