Author Topic: Hiding vs Light  (Read 4385 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Hiding vs Light
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:15:43 PM »
Does hiding take into account the lighting? I am curious because HiPSers irritate me, and I have a tendency to cast light on them. Jojan used to play it like he couldn't re-hide while glowing from a light spell, but I notice other people don't do this. I am curious why this is. It's going to be pretty hard to re-hide when you're marked like that. :-P

failed.bard

Re: Hiding vs Light
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
Having a light source is supposed to give a penalty, and I'm pretty sure it does, but it should be insta fail, not minus whatever.  You can't hide when you're glowing.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »
Having a light source is supposed to give a penalty, and I'm pretty sure it does, but it should be insta fail, not minus whatever.  You can't hide when you're glowing.

Which is funny because I know one of the stealthy cloaks is also a light emitting item.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »

Which is funny because I know one of the stealthy cloaks is also a light emitting item.

Yeah. But, only stealth to the move silent. ;) I guess it's supposed to be a screwed up attempt at a cloak of hiding or something.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:20 AM »
Right, the way i've always seen the "Night Cloak" (aka the one with the move silent bonus and the 'glow light' effect) is basically the 'Mystery man' cloak where you wear it and you get to walk around all quiet and fashion-like while your glowing rather flamboyantly.

Reference:

Yeah.  Flamboyant, quiet steps to give that mysterious appeal.  Personally, I think it's a joke of an item, and it wouldn't surprise me if the above reference was kept in mind during its implement.  :lol:

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:01 AM »
Don't be dissin tuxedo mask, yo can shatter windows and cut off tentacles with flowers.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »
I lol'd  :lol:

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »
Yah, those Night Cloaks are Light emitting, they give you a bunch of penalty to hide. Think I got Biowares numbers for stealth spammed three or four times.

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »
Light is a - 10 penalty only.  Make it -50, and I'll believe it's balanced.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:57:27 AM »
Light is a - 10 penalty only.  Make it -50, and I'll believe it's balanced.

:thumbup:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 12:57:47 AM »
you doubt?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VISaPfeLIg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxkyKs2Kv-E[/youtube]

I trust you are suitably amazed by Tuxedo mask now, my work is done.

ps: -10 is ALOT DAMNIT
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:43:51 AM by Doom »

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
One thing I'm curious about is true seeing and stealth mode.  It makes your character's ambience glow (to show the night-vision feel) but everyone else doesn't see that ambience.  Does the glow rape stealth?

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »
Uh anyone dissing Tuxedo Mask gets killed by me.

Anyways.

With Cherry i wouldnt re-hide if someone casted light on me, happened once and i booked it screaming into the night

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »
Maybe if they dive prone and start rolling around on the ground trying to slink into the only shadow they have.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
Does hiding take into account the lighting? I am curious because HiPSers irritate me, and I have a tendency to cast light on them. Jojan used to play it like he couldn't re-hide while glowing from a light spell, but I notice other people don't do this. I am curious why this is. It's going to be pretty hard to re-hide when you're marked like that. :-P

I remember Jojan telling me that was part of the server RULES for being a shadowdancer.  PnP it's easy it tells you when you can HiPs and when you can not.  Here, I can count the number of Shadow Dancers that have used that as a guideline, on two fingers.  The rest are ample proof of why the class is banned on a lot of servers.

Honestly between the stealth cheating monsters that take one step back and vanish in the middle of a fight, and everything else being either a Shadow Dancer or an assassin, I'm beginning to think some additions for Light should be taken up and put down in Ironclad server rules for all to see.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
The Shades in the Dragon Caves are really annoying. They will attack, and HiPS even though you're clicking on them and targeting them the entire time. It doesn't seem to take into account initiative for the return strike, so to actually hit one is semi-difficult. Oh, and Greater Shadows HiPS now too, apparently. I am tempted to say the way Shades do it, given their nature, is in keeping with the spirit of the monster. But I still think me casting light on the suckers should be it impossible for them to HiPS, and that they should have to at least run around behind me in order to disappear from my field of vision again.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
The amount of times those things HIPS-spam is just god awful.  Makes you wish they were players so you could call a DM and have them reported for abusing HIPS.  You can -barely- get a hit on them as they strike from stealth and re-stealth.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »
They're not the only Stealth Monster that does that.  I've had Hook Horrors do it.

~Rex

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
If they restealthed every 5-10 seconds, that would defientely be less painful than every 1 second.

Kaspar

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
Speaking of with, those little rat looking things below the Orphanage do the same thing. Such a pain.  :(

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
Alright I'm going to post basically the same thing here and in the bug thread with a bit more detail.  I went out and looked for a bunch of sneaky cheating Stealth spamming monsters.  This is what I found.

The Dark Creepers, will Stealth EVERY time you click on them to target them.  Instantly, Every Single Click, they Stealth, then Sneak attack you for upwards of 20 points a hit.

The Undead Gremishka, Same thing.  Target them they Stealth.  TURN them, they Stealth.  Hit them with KD, they Stealth Flat on their Back.

It's one thing if these little bastards get out of your field of view, stealth, come back and nail you, but I was duking it out with three Dark Creepers, and they would Vanish, the second I clicked on them, and I could make them vanish in whatever order I wanted.  Even at a +7 initiative modifier, (and maxing the roll more then once), the second that pointer clicked on the target, the little bastard HiPs on you.  Toss on 90% concealment in on that it gets worse, since if you Hit them while they are Concealed, they HIPS.

This is not the way this is supposed to work.  Oh, casting light on them, does nothing.  But make them Hips.

Scale this up to the really hard hitting monsters (some of the Ninja Hook Horrors, the Shades) and you get a big bowl of WTF?!

~Rex