Author Topic: Cold dmg in mountains  (Read 10191 times)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
Re: Cold dmg in mountains
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »
Perhaps the fur lined boots could have the 5% on the boots could be increased to 20 or 30%?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
You are my hero. You are the wind beneath my wings.
~Rex

Not Minot. Grand Forks AFB.

There comes a point when your body simply doesn't create enough heat to keep you from freezing to death, regardless of whether or not you are bundled up in furs so completely you look like an oversized chinchilla.

As for Calor, I believe the temps up on Mt. Ghakis were even colder before and were nerfed a bit. They are probably still deathly freezing now, but now you die in 4 hours, not 2 in the middle of winter, at night.

As for this winter weather, at least we don't have to put up with snow-blocked passages in winter that we have to wait to thaw come springtime to adventure upwards.

Grand Forks, heh, That's a WARM base.  :)  Wouldn't mind seeing the passes blocked though, could make for some interesting RP if people were trapped out there. 

All the side notes aside yeah there does come a point where you can't stay warm, BUT, if you were warm to begin with, then Insulated, it's a lot easier to stay alive a lot longer.  People live quite well above the Circle you know.  Hell, people still live in North Dakota for some reason.

If the items all offered different types of protection, that wouldn't be bad, I could live with some DR, combined with Save Adder Combined with % damage immunity.  Tack on some more effective magical versions and it would be workable.

More stuff for building a fire would be nice to.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »
I've been spending my entire life in a climate akin to Barovia's and I wouldn't go outside at -40 with only some furs on me. People used to those climates tend to spend most of the winter months inside, not outside.

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
No matter their intelligence, the common adventurer easily has a lack of common sense only equaled by those who post inane and inflammatory comments on YouTube, and politicians!

On a side note, I wonder how much cold immunity a single piece outfit made of yeti skin would get...
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 04:35:07 AM »
No matter their intelligence, the common adventurer easily has a lack of common sense only equaled by those who post inane and inflammatory comments on YouTube, and politicians!

On a side note, I wonder how much cold immunity a single piece outfit made of yeti skin would get...

Exactly.  As for those poor saps that can't come outside when it's cold, well, not my fault some people are wimps.  :D Some folks have far more tolerance to cold (For example I am quite comfortable at freezing temperatures YET, am absolutely miserable at 75-90), some folks handle heat better, rarely do you find both.  Having taught Winter Survival for more then a few years I'm familiar with the details of Wind Chill and Hypothermia and the threat of dying from exposure etc .......Personally though, I find the elemental damage from the Barovian areas to be a bit more Arctic then what it should be, and though I don't think the damage is extreme (unless you get sidelined having to RP with one of the people that has the OLD UNOBTAINABLE stacking winter gear), the DC's from the saves seem a touch off.

If Surviorman can do it, it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for the types of PC's that should do well in the wilderness.

~Rex

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 04:46:43 AM »
well,  in epic levels it  wouldn't really be much of a concern, as one could take the elemental resistance feats, but being that its a lvl 20 server such is simply not possible. . . well. . .not with out cheating per say.

I know on some other servers i once had ellana on, she was a fighter/cleric/harper  and took fire resistance, as she was a priestess of sirrion. But trying to replicate such here is not very possible. Though I would love to have her as she truely is, harper will most likely never be seen on the server (though a harper is really more like a good version of the vardo from what i have seen),  and she will never be as good a cleric  with the way she is on ravenloft.  She had a cold weakness, and it was rped out to the fullest, just as when ever Atlantia is taken out into very cold area's , she will most likely whine and cry about it the entire time.

The minor elemental resistances are available however, allowing 5/- resistance, which i believe does stack with gear. Some times it does wonders, but that is usually against things like the fire monsters in the dungeons below the dwarven city, as far as the cold, i haven't really noticed much help. Still take 15-30 dmg form cold when failing the dc check. Its a good way to keep my sorc out of the mountains.  :P

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
  Harpers are basically secret agent spies/agents for the greater good, much akin to Robin hood, James Bond or any other information gathering concept that does their part behind the scenes uncovering foul agenda's and thwarting them.  Though some are quite capable of getting their hands dirty (aka James Bond), assassination and the sorts, most are generally protagonists and agitators to work against agents of evil such as the Zhentarim or other groups such as the Cult of the Dragon or Red Wizards of Thay.

Though this isn't the thread of such persay, I felt I should add my bit of lore on them.

But yes I'm very much looking forward to taking the minor elemental damage upon my next class level.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 12:37:25 AM »
The Feat DR doesn't stack either.  So I have been told by folks that have it.  Never bought it but I still have folks with like, craft wands feat and such.  Wouldn't waste a feat slot on it if it doesn't stack.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
Stop shafting your con if you want to be up in the mountains.  12 con isn't enough.  I have 16 con and toughness, and at level 10 with 5 cold resistance, I can practically live on the peaks of mountains, or in the ice palace, living long enough to be able to rest and recover from the cold.

It can't be that bad.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
Stop shafting your con if you want to be up in the mountains.  12 con isn't enough.  I have 16 con and toughness, and at level 10 with 5 cold resistance, I can practically live on the peaks of mountains, or in the ice palace, living long enough to be able to rest and recover from the cold.

It can't be that bad.

lol DC 45 fort and 20 cold hits every 60 seconds .. I can't see you living more then 8 mins  ;)
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
  Yes well the racial type I'm roleplaying also isn't supported by the game engine, though I've been given permission to play it.  They don't have a -2 con as other elves and have a natural 5 DR to cold. 

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
  Yes well the racial type I'm roleplaying also isn't supported by the game engine, though I've been given permission to play it.  They don't have a -2 con as other elves and have a natural 5 DR to cold. 

You can buy the feat for that later.  As for the Con, well, 9 billion elven subraces that move that -2 to other stats that are supported.  Elves are like the dandelion fluff that they are made of.  Pop up all over your yard, and you have to reduce them to ashes to make sure they don't come back.

Still though I don't believe that Feat stacks with any DR cold item.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 06:34:20 AM »

It can't be that bad.

lol DC 45 fort and 20 cold hits every 60 seconds .. I can't see you living more then 8 mins  ;)

You'd be surprised, sucka!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »
Otto can survive long enough to take a leak on some 8 con having munchkin's corpse when those buff's wear off.  In relation to the weather, non min maxed stats seem to help folks survive.

~Rex

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »

I want to make a were chinchilla to live on the mountains, nod, nod.

:P

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »
Wow, that thing is fat.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »
Chinchilla's  such adorable pets.  Especially if you have a bowl full of the fine dust they need to coat their fur with.  Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog when they roll around in it as they do barrel rolls.  A good chincilla is a kind of a mix between cat, rabbit and rodent, behavior wise that is.  They love to cuddle, are highly affectionate and leave little rabbit sized pellets on the floor as they roam.  Hell they'll even sleep with you.  Size wise they're about the size of a small adult cat.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »
They make good coats and fry up pretty good to though the prefered cooking method is about 5 of them on a spit with slow coals.

~Rex