You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Katrina Wands ~ Native Outlander  (Read 1272 times)

Maryn

• Dark Power
Katrina Wands ~ Native Outlander
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:56 AM »
The young woman sat outside of the Lady's Rest, watching the sun begin to sink behind the trees.  Anyone could see that she was very close to term in her pregnancy, perhaps even any day.  She smiled and rested her hands on her swollen stomach, and tried to enjoy the somewhat warm day.  There would not be many more before winter hit.  Several others sat casually on the benches around her.  The knight Arinathos kept a ready hand close to his sword and shield. The drow stood in the shadows, watching every movement and change of lighting.  The large barbaric man with an axe, known as Richard watched her intently, a gentle look of affection in his eyes.  The mage known as Shamas thumbed through a spell book discreetly, and occasionally stole a glance over at the noble dressed pregnant lady.  His true feelings would unfortunately never leave his own mind, so set she was on the one known as Martin.  He would never cause her discomfort over this.  After all, he had his books. . .  But Martin was no where to be found.  Not for several previous months.  Although she tried to remain brave, those closest to her knew the fear and doubts that tugged at her heart in regards to his return.
A few others stood near the edges of the inn, and even around the church.  To the casual onlooker, they would have seen the typical troupe of outlanders populating the outskirts, but to the observant eye, they would notice how each person seemed strategically placed to defend an attack. . . . not on the inn or the church, but on the single woman alone.  Yes, they were protecting her.  From what?  Only a few of them even truly knew, but they all stood fiercely anyways, determined that the growing child inside her would have a proper chance at life.  As the last rays of light began to fade, Shamas and Richard both began to move closer to where she sat, and she smiled endearingly to them, speaking before they had a chance to chide her. 
"Yes, we should all go inside.  It wont do to be out after dark."   She smiled playfully. "It really wouldnt be fair to the werewolves, no?"  A few chuckled, a few rolled their eyes, irritated at her light heartedness in the dismal times, but they followed inside anyways, a few walking ahead to check each door for traps before the expecting woman crossed the threshholds.  As they stepped inside, she breathed in sharply, grabbed Richards arm suddenly, and almost doubled over.  All around her, swords and shields were suddenly prepared, hands raised in preparation to cast, and swift arrows ready to strike an unseen foe.  Richard attempted to steady her, and as the contraction passed, she was finally able to whisper a single word out.  "Time." 
The group stood in shock for a long moment, and finally someone ventured to say, "But it's not time for two weeks at least! Your mistaken!" 
At this, the redhead stood up straight and glared. "I said, tiiii.....oooowwww!" The last word was never finished as another wave of pain washed over her.  Spurred into action at this, they finally rushed her upstairs and started to go into the first room. "NO! Not that one! Any room but that room!" She yelled, so they quickly moved on to the second, rather then argue with her.  The drow woman rushed her inside, and the troupe of paladins and warriors started to follow.  The drow held up a hand sharply.  "Nau! Nau men inside, and I mean it!  You'll only be in the way!"   As they started to argue, a loud scream pierced their ear drums.
"Having a baby here people!! Could you shut the feck up and let me concentrate?!"   With that, the drow shoved them out of the doorway into the hallway with surprising brute force, and slammed the door shut with an audible click of the lock.  She muttered in drow as she turned back to attend the half-elf.  "Men are so useless."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:38:33 AM by Maryn »

Maryn

• Dark Power
Re: Katrina Wands ~ Native Outlander
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:21:20 AM »
     Hours later, Maryn sat on the bed with her children on each arm, and stared at them in amazement. It had been a long hard birth. Katrina had nearly been strangled on her own cord, but by quick thinking, the drow had been able to reach in and save her life. The drow opened the door to see the three men crowding and waiting. "Fine, you can come in now. But don't be loud!"
They stepped inside carefully and smiled at her, their eyes lighting up in surprise at the sight of the children.
     "Two. . . . ?" they said in unision, and gaped for a long moment. She smiled and nestled them closer to her chest. With dark red hair, and bright round blue eyes, they were a perfect picture of their mother. She looked up worriedly at the three and sighed.
     "They're not safe here." They nodded seriously and contemplated for a long moment. "Degganwy" she said. "They owe me a bit of a favor. . . . and there is no safer place."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun filtered in through the canopy of trees in Degganwy. Two fire haired toddlers ran barefoot through the leaves, their elven nurse maid chasing behind them. "Marty!!! Kat!! You get back here!! Your mother comes to visit today, and your hair isn't even combed!" Their giggles echoed through the woods as she finally caught up to them. "Gotcha!" She grinned and scooped them up, one in each arm. They kissed her cheeks together, and tried to smile innocently. "Don't look at me that way! Your going to put your nice clothes on this instant-. . . . " she trailed off, studying the darkening sky beyond their protected borders. "Something. . . isn't right. . . " Katrina beamed at her, ignorant of the signs of trouble.
     "What do you mean isnt right?" The young elf frowned to herself and didn't answer, making her way inside quickly. Maryn ran through the door behind them at full speed, and out of breathe, snatching one of the children from her as they made their way up the stairs.
     The nursemaid spoke worriedly. "The sky. . . the air. . . " Maryn cut her off as they entered the childrens bedroom.
     "I know, I saw. They can't stay here." After Martin and Katrina were safely sat on their beds, the two women began to quickly pack the children's belongings, quickly and efficiently, as they had practiced. Martin was the first to break the settling silence.
     "Where are we going Mommy?" She didn't pause to look at him, but did answer.
     "Somewhere safe my darling. Somewhere safe." There was a large crash and flash of light outside the window as Lord Soth's attack began. The nursemaid gasped, and they pulled the children safely onto the stairs, the only place void of windows. "We're too late to get them out!" Maryn said to the elf worriedly. She shook her head in return and stood up straight.
   "I've got one thing I can do to take them from here." She began to explain in quick easy to understand sentences. She concluded with. . . "it's risky, it's dangerous, and we may not make it back." Maryn considered a moment, and another large crash was heard, this time closer to the building, causing the children to begin to cry from fright.
     "Do it!" She shouted. The elf began to chant. . . and the four of them were gone in the blink of an eye.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Small Blink in Time Later

"I think it's safe for you to stay permanently now. It's so hard on the children, going back and forth, seeing their father for a time, then not. . . " Maryn and Tarth nodded in agreement, then she murmured quietly.
     "but the time. . . . has it really only been - " Lorelei gently cut her off.
     "They will adjust. Their longer years in the shadows have not just aged their bodies, but their minds as well. We'll keep them here as we have before, but we are not protected like we used to be. And. . . you know how teenagers can be. They will want to explore-" It was Maryn's turn to cut her off.
    "No! They cannot leave! It's too dangerous." Lorelei squeezed her hand gently.
    "We'll do our best."
Even as they spoke, the two young ones had slipped off alone to the gates.
     "Dare ya." Martin teased his sister. She glared up at him. He really had gotten all the height genes, leaving her at the mere stature of five feet.
     "No, I dare you!" She countered back at him.
     "Fine, we'll both do it!" They waited for the guard to be distracted, then slipped out the gates with muffled laughs.
     "Time to see this forbidden world!" Katrina declared dramatically as they walked on through the woods towards Vallaki.
     "Aw, stop bein' so much like a girl Kat. Your more fun when ya act like a boy." She punched him in the arm hard with surprising strength.
     "Shutup!" He just grinned and continued to lead the way.
     "Tha's better."

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:57:29 PM by Maryn »