You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hit point gain at level up  (Read 10811 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Hit point gain at level up
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
I think it would be smart to hide the HP rolling.  That, or max everyone.  I max my HP only because I know other people max HP as well, so that if I get caught in a PvP situation, I know at -least- in terms of HP we are on equal grounds.  Little bit unfair for my 5th lvl 60hp barb to duke it out with another 5th lvl Barb with 30hp, at least in my mind.

I don't Max my hitpoints and I can think of at least 5 other people that don't either.  Therefore, folks are not on equal ground with you.  As for the fair thing, Let's see if I can translate something over from my MMA hobby for you.

There are MASSIVELY skilled fighters, that simply can't take a hit.  There are complete No Skill having HACKS, that win matches based on the fact, that they can take a beating like a brick wall.  Just because two are Eqaul in experience, doesn't mean two should be equal in durability.  Some things just are not supposed to be fair.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »
I don't max hps because its munchkin-ish.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
I always maxed HP. If you don't want to, don't, it's your choice.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »

*munch munch*

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
Hiding hips points on level up is one of the BEST features in this new update.. I  am all for using it.. Lets get some variety instead of the cookie cutter PCs we have now. There is no good RP reason to be able to max hitpoints.

tzaeru

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
There is no good RP reason to be able to max hitpoints.

There's no good RP reason for someone getting better HP who spends his days drinking and levels through chatting than someone who'd eat, work and train regulary.

I'm definitely for automatically maxing HP. If HP is randomized, ability points should be too. Other thing is that if it was randomized, new chars would be in huge disadvantage to old chars. By average a Barbarian with fully random HP could have 100 HP less at level 20 than someone who always maxed.  :roll:

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »
Hiding hips points on level up is one of the BEST features in this new update.. I  am all for using it.. Lets get some variety instead of the cookie cutter PCs we have now. There is no good RP reason to be able to max hitpoints.

What i don't understand is how the amount of XP received at level affects in any way shape or form, your gaming experience. Not for my by any means, when i roleplay with someone, the degree of his health and how many times does it take for a mummy to hit me before i fall, never actually comes up.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »
By that token, you could say that playing characters with 20's in all their stats, also doesn't come up in roleplay. This game wasn't designed with max hps being taken into account, and by maxing your hps, I believe you cheapen your experience.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
By that token, you could say that playing characters with 20's in all their stats, also doesn't come up in roleplay. This game wasn't designed with max hps being taken into account, and by maxing your hps, I believe you cheapen your experience.

Completely different situation, HP are numbers crunching, you cant really explain why you have 21 hp instead of 20 through rp mechanics, ability scores affect your altogether appearance and skills. Too they comes in limited amount, you get 1 every 4 levels, HP is dice based, random or maxed, it changes nothing to how i roleplay my character.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
i just go with the rolls,  never redo level up just because of hp, what i get is what i get. I certainly know ellana isn't maxed out, with a 14 con, toughness, at level 14- 7 rogue/6 fighter/1 cleric. . .maxed i would have about. . .eh. . does math.

154 i think, yes.  But, just going with rolls she has about 138 or 136. . .granted the few hp might be a little helpful, but i honestly don't think it matters. For those constantly training there is toughness, though thats as far as it goes with out epic levels.

It is possible, of course, to allow such feats, but that is up to the dev team i think if they want to make such available to people under lvl 20.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
I don't max hps because its munchkin-ish.

Exactly.  Hit points are the variety meant to represent varying degrees of endurance and toughness.  To max it, ALL the time, is the act of munchkinism.

I always maxed HP. If you don't want to, don't, it's your choice.

Yep my choice to be surrounded by Munchkins that will sit there for an hour in the middle of a scene, leveling their PC till they get Max hit points.  You get lucky, more power to you.  You just reset, re-roll, rinse, repeat,  Not much variety behind that at all.  Sort of like the Baldur's Gate days when the same sort of player would sit there and re-roll till they got all 16's or higher.  Seems to me to be contrary to the "goals" of a Role Play Server to let a handful of numbers dictate the law.

Completely different situation, HP are numbers crunching, you cant really explain why you have 21 hp instead of 20 through rp mechanics, ability scores affect your altogether appearance and skills. Too they comes in limited amount, you get 1 every 4 levels, HP is dice based, random or maxed, it changes nothing to how i roleplay my character.

Hitpoints, are as much a part of your ability scores as any other Stat.  They are just the only ones the game let's you roll randomly.  Attributes were reduced to the point spend system because no one would want to play in the land of everyone sat there and rolled straight 18's before they jumped into the PW.  Sure, point spending tends to turn those same munchkins, into Dump Stat-ers, but I'd rather deal with Josie I'm a Hot chick Wood Elf with a 6 Charisma, then Captain Americlone 576.

Unfortunently, that Number (hitpoints) DOES effect the way those kind of People Play.  If it didn't, there would be no people trying to mount a defense against the hiding of a number.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
Love how this thread's become another "Your RP sucks becuase you do this" discussion.

:clap:

:roll:

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »
Do I have to explain why I locked this thread? Thread is no longer a discussion on whether the HP given are to remain hidden or visible. I let it derail to getting max HP because I considered it a valid arguement in the "visible and non visible HP" debate. Locked.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:31:22 PM by Delphinidae »

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths