Author Topic: Druid Armors?  (Read 3832 times)

penny

• Outlander
Druid Armors?
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:21:56 PM »
So, Adriana made her first 1k fang. Exciting, right? It's like a milestone for lowbies.. upgrading from that starting armor. So excited was I that I went to buy some nice armor for her in Degannwy. Denied!

Seeing as the enchanted ironwood armors were taken out of Degannwy, could there perhaps be a druid-only store where they can get decent armors? They don't have a whole lot of options, and I'd hate to have to cheese and make steel chainmail have the ironwood chest appearance, and I'll pretty much die if I use only leather. And there's not even any good leather to use in the mod.

I'm not sure why they were taken out in the first place, they weren't particularly powerful.  But taking them out severely limited a druid's options. Rogues and mages have their own stores so why not druids? They have special needs since they're prohibited from using anything remotely protective because of their oaths. I'm not asking for like, uber powerful stuff. I don't even -want- that. I'd just like to see the enchanted ironwood stuff back in stores, because as it is my druid has no reason to save up for anything. There's no better gear to look forward to. Other classes get to upgrade and stuff.. even wizards. But, because of a druid's oaths, we can't upgrade our armor or shield.

Edit: Perhaps it could be craftable in woodworking?

I feel like I'm talking in circles, so if you want a tl;dr, then here it is: Please put the enchanted ironwood stuff in a store for only druids. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:26:38 PM by penny »
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Druid Armors?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »
Never really cared for the Suped up Druid Armor (especially since Ironwood is a Forgotten Realms thing), so my Druid doesn't miss it.  In fact I recently through his one set into the trash because it looked gay, and went back to hides.  Honestly, considering the AB of anything you have to fight after 6th level, the measely little bit you get from Druid Armor, doesn't amount to squat.  You still get hammered.

More useful to save weight and be more true to setting form for me.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »
Took out the ironwood stuff? Im not too keen on that being taken out, was a nice option for druids or other more nature related characters.

edited to add: Only the enchanted armors were taken (also the spot and hide bows) would be nice if woodworker could also created enchanted ironwood armors type?

What's up with the spot and hide bows thought.. cant make anything like it with the crafting system as it is. Is that gone for good?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:06:09 AM by Nefensis »

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
Never really cared for the Suped up Druid Armor (especially since Ironwood is a Forgotten Realms thing), so my Druid doesn't miss it.  In fact I recently through his one set into the trash because it looked gay, and went back to hides. 

Ironwood is a druid spell. Not an actual wood. You take wood, and make it as hard as Iron. That's why I think it should be druid-specific.

I do like the idea of "wooden" armor being craftable though.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:41:57 AM »
Well, you need money, so when they spawn somewhere and the vardo's get to them, you can buy it off them :)

I think the main complaint was that enchanted items in stores reduced the usefulness of crafters?

And if you ask me, I think most scrolls should be removed from stores as well. It is supposed to be a low magic server after all. Anyone with enough money can go and buy prismatic spray and shadow shield as of now. Make the casters work for their magic as everyone else works for their swords/armors etc
Has been described as a sometimey player

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
But ironwood is an actual kind of wood - or well, there's several types.

Either way, I'm hoping to get better crafting alternatives for the druid specific armours. Chitin could be an option.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
What about the bows, will there be crafting alternative? There's one for the second death but none for the spot or hide bow or the hunter's hand

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
There should be more bow materials as well, just a matter of time as they are being implemented.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
Either way, I'm hoping to get better crafting alternatives for the druid specific armours. Chitin could be an option.

That .. is a kick ass idea. I never would have thought of that, and I even played Morrowind.

Along that train of thought: Tortoise-shell armor? Bone Armor?

I think the main complaint was that enchanted items in stores reduced the usefulness of crafters?
Yes indeed. But as I said druids have little in the way of alternatives. If Ironwood/other decent druid armor was craftable, though, there wouldn't be a problem at all. In fact it'd be better than before! :D
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

DarkWyvern

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »

Ironwood
(Olneya tesota)

Ironwood is one of the largest and longest-lived Sonoran Desert plants, reaching 45 feet in height and persisting as long as 1,500 years.

It is a single or multi-trunked evergreen tree, and displays lavender to pink flowers in May. By early summer, the pods mature. Each 2-inch pod contains one to four shiny brown seeds that are relished by many Sonoran animals, from small mammals and birds to humans. Its iron-like wood is renowned as one of the world's densest woods.

The shaded sanctuary and richer soils created by ironwoods increase plant diversity and provide benefits to wildlife. Ironwoods are too hard to provide nesting cavities for birds, but the cacti that grow beneath them provide such opportunities. Insects abound within the ironwood complex, attracting birds and reptiles. As with other legumes, the ironwood's leaf litter supplies nitrogen to the soil and its seeds provide a protein-rich resource for doves, quail, coyotes, and many small rodents.

The Ironwood tree is found only in the Sonoran Desert, in the dry locales below 2,500 feet, where freezing temperatures are uncommon. In fact the Ironwood's habitat is almost an exact match of the Sonoran Desert boundry. Ironwoods are most common in dry ephemeral washes. Ironwoods function as oases of fertile and sheltered habitat within a harsh and challenging desert landscape. As a tree becomes established, it tempers the physical environment beneath it, creating a micro-habitat with less direct sunlight, lower surface temperatures, more organic matter, higher water availability, and protection from herbivores. Because of these factors, the Ironwood tree has immense ecological value in the Sonoran Desert.

Ironwood grows taller than most trees in Sonoran desert scrub, so it serves as a great perch and roost for hawks and owls. It's dense canopy is utilized by nearly 150 bird species. Add tall ironwoods to the scrubby vegetation on some desert bajadas, and you're likely to add 63 percent more birds than creosote, cactus and bursage alone could support. The ironwood's canopies are so dense that they reduce the probability of extreme heat exposure in the summer.

Air temperatures may be 15 degrees cooler under ironwoods than in the open desert sun five feet away. Ironwood also shelters frost sensitive young saguaros, organ pipe cactus, night-blooming cereus and many other native plants growing beneath them. More than 230 plant species have been recorded starting their growth within the protective microclimate under ironwood "nurse plants." This also creates an optimum wildflower nursery which is foraged by rabbits, bighorn, and other native species.

In addition to the birds, there are 62 reptiles and amphibians, and 64 mammals that use ironwoods for forage, cover and birthing grounds. At just one site in the Silverbell Mountains, an ironwood-bursage habitat also shelters some 188 kinds of bees, 25 ant colonies, and 25 other types of insects. That adds up to an extraordinary level of biodiversity.

I introduced Chitin Plate for Druids, after having looked it up online and seeing it is basically hardened beetle shells with resin to keep it stiff. So, a few DMs have already run quests for a couple druids, if you seek out Gwyrrd (Contact a DM) she will send you out to gather the materials needed, the Beetle Shells (Amount depends on DM, last event required 8 Pristine) and then she (The NPC) will craft the Armor and for a price (Was around 2k I think) provide the druid with the armor.

They are in the Pallette, 2 versions. Its just a matter of getting with a DM for a nice little mini-quest :D

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »

And if you ask me, I think most scrolls should be removed from stores as well. It is supposed to be a low magic server after all. Anyone with enough money can go and buy prismatic spray and shadow shield as of now. Make the casters work for their magic as everyone else works for their swords/armors etc

And if you take that out, mages won't have anything to buy. I mean sure there are the rarer magic rings/amulets, but without those, what are they going to save their money for? They do work for their magic just as others earn their armor and weapons; by killing things and saving up their pennies.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
Scrolls can be found in the treasuries. But don't worry, most high level scrolls can't be bought.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
By the way:

Ironwood
Transmutation
Level: Drd 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute/lb. created
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: An ironwood object weighing up to 5 lb./level
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Ironwood is a magical substance created by druids from normal wood. While remaining natural wood in almost every way, ironwood is as strong, heavy, and resistant to fire as steel. Spells that affect metal or iron do not function on ironwood. Spells that affect wood do affect ironwood, although ironwood does not burn. Using this spell with wood shape or a wood-related Craft check, you can fashion wooden items that function as steel items. Thus, wooden plate armor and wooden swords can be created that are as durable as their normal steel counterparts. These items are freely usable by druids.
Further, if you make only half as much ironwood as the spell would normally allow, any weapon, shield, or suit of armor so created is treated as a magic item with a +1 enhancement bonus.
Material Component: Wood shaped into the form of the intended ironwood object
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

DarkWyvern

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
No one is saying it isn't a spell :)

We are just stating that it -is- a tree as well. Since Ironwood the Spell isn't implemented in Nwn it would be considered cheese to claim castable. However Ironwood the tree could easily be added to recipes if the Dev Team chose to implement :D

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
Only lasts one day per level.  Ironwood is not only a real desert tree (makes for some interesting carvings and such but doesn't go more then 2 inches in a straight line so not much god for many things), but is also part of the Forgotten Realms Flora as a magic elf tree.  Base DnD 3.0/3.5 gives you Darkwood (so as not to make it setting specific): Darkwood

This rare magic wood is as hard as normal wood but very light. Any wooden or mostly wooden item (such as a bow, an arrow, or a spear) made from darkwood is considered a masterwork item and weighs only half as much as a normal wooden item of that type. Items not normally made of wood or only partially of wood (such as a battleaxe or a mace) either cannot be made from darkwood or do not gain any special benefit from being made of darkwood. The armor check penalty of a darkwood shield is lessened by 2 compared to an ordinary shield of its type. To determine the price of a darkwood item, use the original weight but add 10 gp per pound to the price of a masterwork version of that item.

Darkwood has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 5.

The spell would be an interesting addition but it looks like it would be a pain in the ass to pull off.  Still though, not really worth it in the long run because the stuff after 6th level can splatter you with a casual roll and an extra 3 or 4 AC won't mean squat when the AB jumps by 10.

~Rex

Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
I honestly didn't know it was a real tree :D
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »
There should be more bow materials as well, just a matter of time as they are being implemented.

This would rock. I haven't crafted a bow in a long time, but have a high carpentry skill. I always thought it would be nice to be able to make some different bows. As it is now, there aren't that many interesting bows out there.