You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Running, buffs, and more. But mainly running and buffs.  (Read 6126 times)

penny

• Outlander
Running, buffs, and more. But mainly running and buffs.
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
A few suggestions, is all.

Running: I just had an idea.. Maybe your con score can determine how long you can run? Just a thought, up for discussion and such.

Buffs: Could most buffs be made invisible? I'm pretty sure most of the NWN spells don't have visual effects in Pnp, such as Foresight(premo), Protection from Alignment, Stoneskin, Barkskin, etc.. I just find these spells visually disruptive to the immersiveness of the server, and they're uneeded. Again, just a thought.

Some other stuff: Could druids be given more barovia-appropriate wildshape options? Minks, Raccoons, Bears are fine as they are, deer, perhaps a mouse-shape.. Other stuff like that.

That's about it.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
Re: Running, buffs, and more. But mainly running and buffs.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
 I would love for barkskin/stoneskin to be invisible or bit less. It really does look horrible, when a army of tree's and rocks charge a dungeon or town. :lol:
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:32:25 PM »
I would love for barkskin/stoneskin to be invisible or bit less. It really does look horrible, when a army of tree's and rocks charge a dungeon or town. :lol:

Yeah.. The spell makes your skin as hard as stone/bark, it doesn't turn INTO stone or bark.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »
If you don't like the looks, you can try not using them. ;)

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »
If you don't like the looks, you can try not using them. ;)

Ok, I'll just throw my naked butt in front of werewolves then.

Jokes aside, what with several spells being nerfed/more pnp-like, I just thought it was a step further in that direction. *shrug*
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »
    This is probably only my opinion - but I like the visual effects.  I think for every plus there should be some form of minus; given the game takes place where it does I think having a visual effect works out perfectly.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:18:22 AM »
    This is probably only my opinion - but I like the visual effects.  I think for every plus there should be some form of minus; given the game takes place where it does I think having a visual effect works out perfectly.

That is a very good point. Myself, I find them horribly OOC and disruptive, but that's a good point you bring up.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
visuals should stay. if many are removed, like ones from stoneskin, premo, bark etc.. i suspect casters who can cast these spells will just walk around freely among the public with these spell active thus always being protected by quite lot of dr. though it would prolly scare the crap out of someone trying to mug em when they strike sword or dagger at the casters and sparks start to fly around becouse they just hit their weapons to a block of rock :D then again casters would become extremely arrogant very fast, almost pickin a fight

i cant decide really, for one part i like the visuals, they are like a measure of casters power, you really want to go against someone who has like so much energy flying around them that they could act as powersource for the entire north america

on the other hand id like the removal of certain visuals, could help on the lag or something. i know my comp always freezes for brief momen when someone wih massive visual buffs comes to vino's line of sight. it would give others a element of getting surprised, some sneak tails a mage waiting for his buffs wear off to make a killing blow, but when you cant see the visuals enymore, you just have to take the chance and strike
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
The visuals I get the lag spikes from are always the head orbitals (ultra vision remove fear all that to the steaming protection from evil) and the environmental shields.  If those went away it would clear up a bunch of encounter lag and still leave the trees rocks and aura users a cool look.

Factoring Running into the Rest Formula now, would be a good thing, if it hasn't already been done.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
My char runs and for one reason only:  walking is a pain in the ass for an elven char.  End of story.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »
My char runs and for one reason only:  walking is a pain in the ass for an elven char.  End of story.   :mrgreen:

How hard is it to open up the keyboard commands and assign the space bar as Walk for an Elf?  Answer, it's not.  Keep hearing that excuse from elf players all over the various servers and it's simply Not hard to set up an elf to walk instead of run everywhere.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

How hard is it to open up the keyboard commands and assign the space bar as Walk for an Elf?  Answer, it's not.  Keep hearing that excuse from elf players all over the various servers and it's simply Not hard to set up an elf to walk instead of run everywhere.

~Rex

Excuse me, I declared the topic "End of story."  End of story.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »

~Rex

Once again proof of gender.  Regardless though it's childsplay, to set up an elf to be able to walk with little effort.  One thing I have noticed as of late, is a lot of running halflings to (wish we had real racial movement mods), and I don't think they have that issue.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »

~Rex

Once again proof of gender.  Regardless though it's childsplay, to set up an elf to be able to walk with little effort.  One thing I have noticed as of late, is a lot of running halflings to (wish we had real racial movement mods), and I don't think they have that issue.

~Rex

Further proof of gender ............... he just keeps going on and on and on.   :lol:

(All in good fun  :mrgreen: )
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
I run cause I don't have time to spend an hour to get to the place I want. I have limited time I spend on the computer sometimes, and Id rather not waste my time walking..

END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »
I run cause I don't have time to spend an hour to get to the place I want. I have limited time I spend on the computer sometimes, and Id rather not waste my time walking..

What?! No! Where is the sequel!? or the prequel!?  :twisted:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »

Not talking about that, talking about the trend of Running around through a crowd of RPing people.  Place to Place, I don't really care, not like we have horses and such to get places and I understand the time constraints.  Zipping around constantly though in the presence of others, annoying. 

~Rex

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »
It doesn't matter for what reason you run, the purpose of the topic isn't really to condemn people for running. I just think that, with the new encumbrance thing, using the constitution score to determine how long you can run would be a good idea. RP-wise. Doesn't make sense for a 10 con rogue to be able to run  for as long as a 16 con barbarian after all.

But it might be just overly punishing for the playerbase, after all the game should still be fun. And as Marrok said, we all have lives outside the game and might have to hurry sometimes.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »
It doesn't matter for what reason you run, the purpose of the topic isn't really to condemn people for running. I just think that, with the new encumbrance thing, using the constitution score to determine how long you can run would be a good idea. RP-wise. Doesn't make sense for a 10 con rogue to be able to run  for as long as a 16 con barbarian after all.

But it might be just overly punishing for the playerbase, after all the game should still be fun. And as Marrok said, we all have lives outside the game and might have to hurry sometimes.

That would require them to work in running or walking to the "you need to rest" system (won't say Fatigue because that upsets certain people).

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
I'd like to see a running fatigue system included once the 1.69 patch comes in, so we can get horses to replace the need to run everywhere. (And no, this is not a good place to start on that topic!)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
HCR comes with HTF I believe.  Could be wrong, so buried in plans right now all I can recall is the name of various General Contractors and that 1/16th scale is real hard on the eyes.

~Rex

Mitano

• Outlander
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
I'd like to see a running fatigue system included once the 1.69 patch comes in, so we can get horses to replace the need to run everywhere. (And no, this is not a good place to start on that topic!)

And weiner dogs for the halflings.  :lol:

But yes, I like this idea too.

Gisselle Brasseney - "The sword may rend you limb from limb, but with just a touch...I will rend your very soul."

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »

What?! No! Where is the sequel!? or the prequel!?  :twisted:

I like to run, for the very same reason. It's boring to walk everywhere. Especially if you're alone. If I could teleport, I would. :-P

RUNNERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:10 AM »

:lol:

Arch_Angel00

• New to the Mists
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

:lol:

Hah please...our standards arent that low.  Dire Badgers or Dinosaurs or nothing at all [nods sagely]

----

Running:  It depends on my mood if I run or walk.  If I really want to get somewhere or the place we are adventuring to is really a long ways away, then Id rather run.  Or if Im by myself and I have things that I need to really get done, then I run.  Otherwise, I tend to walk around and literally poke the minks and badgers and anything else unfortunate enough to come across me :)

Buffs: Some of the visuals on the buffs I actually like having.  As you say it takes away from your experience, it adds to mine I think.  Just a matter of preference, I guess.