You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Control undead  (Read 4172 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Control undead
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »
Right... what's up with this spell?

NO saving throw, NO spell resistance, protection from mind effects DOESN'T stop it.

WTF?

Being on the receiving end of it, is no fun at all, let me tell you. Is it the power word kill version against undead?
Has been described as a sometimey player

failed.bard

Re: Control undead
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
PHB says there should be a will save, and that SR applies.  Not sure why it wouldn't be like that here.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »
There is a SR roll. I haven't seen the will check, but there is a SR roll when you cast it.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

mayvind

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
Cornilius did that to me once, so i know how you feel. HEHE, of course that doesnt make me stop using it on you too !  :mrgreen:

There is a will saves when Cornilius casted on me, maybe yours level too LOW and it is auto success on weak creature like you?  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:51:24 AM by mayvind »

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
I'm officially running away from all clerics/witches now on. No rp, no combat nothing.

The risk is too great. One scroll and you're history!

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
I'm officially running away from all clerics/witches now on. No rp, no combat nothing.

*Hands over the official Monster PC membership badge*.. Welcome to the club

But no far as i know there should be a will save at least (but since the DC could well be ike 30ish it doesn't matter much)

S'why you kill caster first *nods*

failed.bard

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »

You forgot UMD loaded bards and rogues.

boompowclash

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »

:lol:

boompowclash

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:10 AM »
in 3.5 there is this wicked 2nd level spell called Command Undead, note that it lasts for 1 day per level.  Sort of puts NWN Control Undead in perspective, rather merciful that it only lasts 20 IG hours max. (with each casting of course)  This is where you pay for all those immunities to magic and Horrid Wilting.. and by the way I wish we had this 2nd level spell  :twisted:

Command Undead
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One undead creature
Duration: One day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell allows you some degree of control over an undead creature. Assuming the subject is intelligent, it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way (treat its attitude as friendly). It will not attack you while the spell lasts. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An intelligent commanded undead never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something
very dangerous is worth doing (see charm person).

A nonintelligent undead creature (such as a skeleton or zombie) gets no saving throw against this spell. When you control a mindless being, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “come here,” “go there,” “fight,” “stand still,” and so on. Nonintelligent undead won’t resist suicidal or obviously harmful orders.
Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the commanded undead (regardless of its Intelligence) breaks the
spell. Your commands are not telepathic. The undead creature must be able to hear you.
Material Component: A shred of raw meat

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »
Control Undead
Necromancy
Level:    Sor/Wiz 7
Components:    V, S, M
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets:    Up to 2 HD/level of undead creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration:    1 min./level
Saving Throw:    Will negates
Spell Resistance:    Yes

This spell enables you to command undead creatures for a short period of time. You command them by voice and they understand you, no matter what language you speak. Even if vocal communication is impossible the controlled undead do not attack you. At the end of the spell, the subjects revert to their normal behavior.

Intelligent undead creatures remember that you controlled them.
Material Component

A small piece of bone and a small piece of raw meat.

Should get a will save if we are on the trend of making things "like the book", and according to the nwnwiki it does get a will save and a Spell Resistance.  Therefore, I wonder why this is a complaint?  *Looks out at all the nigh unstoppable monster PC's*  Look pretty much unbeatable to me.  Last time I used the spell in game it allowed for a save and that wasn't to long ago.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:54:01 AM »
I'm complaining because I got NO save, no SPELL RESISTANCE: FAILURE, and I had protection from evil ACTIVE at the moment and I still got partied up with Yves :D

Which means, I'm running anyway from all casters and rogues and bards from now on end of story. Or preferably, killing them, cutting of their tongues, search them for control undead scrolls, raise them and then ask them: Hello, do you want to buy anything? (lol)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:59:31 AM »
rofl.  Too funny.  Can't wait for a cleric to do that too and walk them up to the citadel claiming a bounty on the undead sap.  :mrgreen:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
I'm complaining because I got NO save, no SPELL RESISTANCE: FAILURE, and I had protection from evil ACTIVE at the moment and I still got partied up with Yves :D

Which means, I'm running anyway from all casters and rogues and bards from now on end of story. Or preferably, killing them, cutting of their tongues, search them for control undead scrolls, raise them and then ask them: Hello, do you want to buy anything? (lol)

I'd say try and get a screen shot of it then because it sounds weird.  I like the IC responses myself since the spell says, intelligent Undead remember being controlled and by whom for the most part.  Rule by Fear, Eat the Weak Trample the Dead.

~Rex

Arch_Angel00

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 08:32:37 AM »
I thought controlling undead in the Ravenloft realm was impossible?  Even turning undead I remember being as quite a feat in itself.

tzaeru

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
I made a topic about the subject some time back and it was said that it does have will and SR save. Not that I ever had anyone succeed the will save - but some other mages said that they've failed it.

Control Undead's good and in my opinion, balanced. It's a relatively high level spell. Also. As stated in multiple occasions before, domination/controlling does not give total control. Clearly suicidal orders wont be followed: Thus, the undead wouldn't follow you to Citadel if you told it to. It's more useful in gaining information of the enemies of the controlled undead, holding it still, telling it to not attack someone, etc.

And now when Undeath to Death was nerfed, Control Undead and Flesh to Stone are the last arcane undead effective spells.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
I thought controlling undead in the Ravenloft realm was impossible?  Even turning undead I remember being as quite a feat in itself.

All undead creatures with more than 3 HD add a +2 bonus to their Will save to resist control. This spell cannot affect darklords. Casting this spell requires a powers check.

It's actually okay, unless someone wants to script in the +2 Will save bonus to the 3 HD and higher undead.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 02:42:15 PM »
Oh, figure I can script that if we haven't already done so.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 12:35:50 AM »
I thought they already had some boost to their Undead nastiness already.  If not sure add the +2.  If they DO, don't add more, they get enough.

~Rex