Author Topic: cheesy remake - question  (Read 3945 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
cheesy remake - question
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
I die and respawn via the mists enough time to lose 5-6 levels. On purpose. (of course somebody could go on pretending a string of bad luck etc etc)
The reason behind all this is obvious.

Is that an exploit?

Assuming it *isn't* an exploit (and that's a big if), could you ask a dm to just wipe out the xp to save you the trouble?

OR

Could you start a new character, and being given the items/factions etc of your old one? Effectively a remake but with the penalty of loosing your previous levels? Perhaps with some plot/story attached to it to give it reasoning?

More or less, I'm thinking alternatives to ditching a character or playing something that makes you unhappy when remake apps don't go through.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: cheesy remake - question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »
i think if you go through the trouble of losing 5 levels of (ex: fighter) and decide to take 5 of wizard when you go through the hardship that is leveling again, i dont see why not. You are gaining the XP legitly and the IC experience of someone that decided for a new path after being proven weak too many times

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
You can respawn all you want, but then you're capping yourself insanely and losing levels you will take forever to get back, but it's not illegal.

For a remake or any transfer, it'd need approval of the team.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
wtf are the chances of actually dying, having to respawn so you don't loose your super-old-can't-find-them-anymore-spend-months-to-get-them-items, running invisibly/hasted to get them, getting them, then getting killed again on the way out? Because if you actually pass by a creature while invisiible it hears you and apparently can shoot arrows at you no problem.

That damn proverb about being carefull what you wish for is so damn true :(

failed.bard

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
wtf are the chances of actually dying, having to respawn so you don't loose your super-old-can't-find-them-anymore-spend-months-to-get-them-items, running invisibly/hasted to get them, getting them, then getting killed again on the way out? Because if you actually pass by a creature while invisiible it hears you and apparently can shoot arrows at you no problem.

That damn proverb about being carefull what you wish for is so damn true :(

It shouldn't be able to shoot arrows at you just by hearing.  It would have to have some sort of see invisible or true seeing, I think.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »
No if you pick up an item in invis around creatures, I believe it makes you roll a move silently roll. Which maybye you failed.. then came out of stealth, and it shot you down.
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
Pretty sure, as the failed move silently check was what killed me the first time. I was merrily invisibly running through a thin corridor filled with archers the second time. (and here you where telling me the night cloak is useless... bah)

While on topic, I didn't really die the second time, just kicked my pc and it reset when near death. I suppose I'm still alive over there. Some dm care to kill me when I log, pm me please. Things are bad enough without making cheating escapes but I'm not letting them kill me twice :p

Note: Any other monstrous character notice not being teleported to near etheral when killed? Happened once to me and to liiltu, some bug?

*edit* but I'm not letting them kill me twice : In the interest of clarity I didn't mean I logged out to prevent dying, I meant I'm not going to go back there all by myself and let them kill me on purpose to make it all right. And I wasn't on near death, I said it exponentially. It was the first hit and made me barelly injured. Which is provable, as I still haven't logged back in. Somehow reading my post twice makes me feel my joke irony is lost in the translation.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:48:19 PM by k_moustakas »

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »

While on topic, I didn't really die the second time, just kicked my pc and it reset when near death. I suppose I'm still alive over there. Some dm care to kill me when I log, pm me please. Things are bad enough without making cheating escapes but I'm not letting them kill me twice :p

logging out during combat should be a bannable offence in my opinion.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
I agree

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »
With the number of times people crash in the middle of combat here, I imagine that would be hard to enforce. Though, usually you can tell if someone does it intentionally since, if someone crashes, they usually try to get back on immediately because they're worried their character is sitting in the world doing nothing, getting his butt kicked.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 12:28:03 AM »
they actualy are for brief moment. when you log back in you are almost certainly dead
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
I logged out during combat 3 days ago and again today...

BOTH times I was stuck in a terrain feature. Once a tree with wolves attacking me in the forests near vallaki city... No idea how that happened, was facing the tree... could not move or attack, and again tonight running from spiders, stuck in on the narrow path on top of a rock...

If the game itself is faulty I use OoC methods to survive what is not controllable.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
I logged out during combat 3 days ago and again today...

BOTH times I was stuck in a terrain feature. Once a tree with wolves attacking me in the forests near vallaki city... No idea how that happened, was facing the tree... could not move or attack, and again tonight running from spiders, stuck in on the narrow path on top of a rock...

If the game itself is faulty I use OoC methods to survive what is not controllable.

I'm with you.  I've logged out during combat too because the game just suddenly stopped working.  Two days ago, the game crashed twice while I was the road to Barovia fighting wolfweres. 

Things aren't always what they seem. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz